Puppy Name

lane

Help!! I have a German Shepherd puppy coming soon and I can't think of a name.
I already have Josh and Ryan.
My first GSD was called Warwick (means faithful protector) we lost Blake just before Christmas. We've had a Ben and Dan......think I may have to move away from people names?
Any ideas?:dogunsure:

josiebell

Oh how exciting. I always think GSDs sound better with a strong sounding name.

I love things like Tzar, Drummer, and one of my favourites is Zeus.

Duke was already named when we rescued him but if not I would have called him either Max or Zeus.

My previous dogs have been a springer spaniel called Thomas, a GSD called Ben, a doberman called Pasha, and my last dog a collie x GSD called Kyah.

Perhaps you should have him home for a while to watch him then perhaps a name might just come to mind for him.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
It took me a while before I came up with my dog's names (Onyx and Chase)...

There are a few databases on the internet with a few thousand names, so that is probably the best place to start looking. What I did was write down all the names that I liked, and then reviewed them after. :dogsmile:

Try this website. It's pretty good, it has over 29,000 names and isn't full of advertisements.

splitz831

I think the best thing to do is not to stress over it. If you pick a name just because you feel you need to then it won't ever feel like it fits the puppy. At the same time I have an animal buying rule in my home. If you don't have a name for it when we are in the store then it's probably not the animal for us. All but one of our dogs names came easily we held them for the first time and said.. how about Josephine and Lucianne. Our daughter's dog Jasper, we had a hard time naming and when we finally did Jasper has never felt right and she decided later he was too much work to take care of and gave up on him...so to me it proves my theory, he wasn't the dog for her because he didn't have a name right away. Not to say your puppy isn't the dog for you. Just take some time to hold him/her and see what comes to you.

lane

Thanks for that - I've added your suggestions to my list. Thanks for the link Jean I've had a look on there and I think I'll be going back. When I have a short list of names that I like the sound of I'll wait til the puppy arrives and see if any of them suit him. He won't mind what he's called will he:dognowink:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
You can always ask a friend - they always seem to have name ideas that you never think of. :D