Puppy Boredom Busters????

bsmom

Does anyone have any creative ideas for helping fight puppy boredom while in the crate and/or @ home alone?

My hubby and I don't ever leave our little one alone for extended periods of time, and i think we may have caused ourselves a little problem... Baccio is fine in his "nighttime crate" for 8+ hours (no crying, no accidents, etc), but during the day, when we put him in a larger, more open crate for any length of time (to take a shower, clean the house, etc) he cries and barks until he tires himself out enough to nap (which is just about the time I'm FINISHED doing whatever it is I needed the peace and quiet to do in the FIRST PLACE ;) ). I just don't think he enjoys playing by himself at ALL- even when he's out and about the house with us, he'll bring his toys and sit on our laps to chew them. Is this normal or the beginnings of separation anxiety?!?!?!

I have tried saving his most favorite toys for solo playtime, stuffing kongs (including freezing them so they last longer), biscuit balls, and some other contraption that's essentially the same idea. I've also tried weaving softer toys through the "bars" of his crate, so that he has to work to get them free, but he either solves my "puzzles" for him immediately, or loses interest. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to try them out this afternoon- our beloved Green Bay Packers are playing for a ticket to the superbowl, and we'd like to enjoy the game without the B-man trying to steal our nachos :msngiggle:

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!!!!!

"Baccio's Mom"

CollieMan

Experienced Member
What age is pup at the moment? Scrub that, I just saw in your introduction thread, that the pup is sixteen weeks of age.

At that age, I wouldn't be too concerned about the pup being "clingy" for want of a better word. It's only natural, at that age, for pup to want to be part of the family, and it's hard when it can see and hear things going on, but it can't join in.

As pup gets older, he will also gain in independence, but that will take time to develop. You have pretty much gone through all of the different ideas I would have come up with, which tells me that it's not something to do that the dog needs, so much as a little patience.

Don't expect too much from it at such a young age, in terms of him being alone. The reason, I suspect that all is well at night, is because the house becomes quiet, and he realises that he's not missing anything. But during the day, he can hear movement, and just wants to know what's going on.

I can only suggest that you either abandon your plans to crate him during such times, until he more used to it (by doing it in just minute increments each day, adding an extra minute or so each day), or you learn to ignore the whining/barking. It will stop in time, if you ignore it. It always does. Conversely, if it always gets the dog what it wants - attention - it continues.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

bsmom

Thanks!

Oh no- your response is a HUGE help! Very reassuring! My husband teases me (only half joking I'm sure!) all the time about spoiling the dog, being joined by some freak figurative "umbilical cord", etc.- I tell him it'll all be worth it when we have a dog that's balanced, and who listens to us because he trusts us :)

Thanks again!

Baccio's mom

CollieMan

Experienced Member
You know, I used to think like your Husband. Until I got Ellie that is. Some dogs are just naturally more sensitive and clingy. I think you have to look at the playing the "long game" in such cases. As you state, it'll be completely worth it in the end, when your dog is balanced, and knows that it needn't worry as it has you to fall back on.

storm22

Experienced Member
we've taught koda to be in her kennel or tied up by herself even though she can hear us round the corner (storm training time), at first she cried and cried but by ignoring her commands she eventually gave up (sometimes she starts up), but really you have to ignore her till she stop for awhile and then go play with them for being quiet, she does get excited when we come back to get her but what we do is stand there not looking or talking to her till shes quiet and reward her by letting her off
she learnt very fast, so you just need some patience and strength (it not easy for some people to listen and wait, my sisters a sucker) and also nice neighbours who understand.

bsmom

We're playing "the quiet game" right now (which really is anything BUT quiet @ this point! :) ) I honestly don't know how he can stand to listen to himself!!! I'm distracting myself to help me ignore (I'm a BIG sucker for the crying!!!)

Thanks for the suggestions!- It's nice to know that other people have been here before

:) Baccio's mom

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I honestly don't know how he can stand to listen to himself!!!
I imagine them to be somewhat like those individuals who we all see on the television talent shows. We know they each sound terrible, but to them, I bet they think they sound great! :)

gravelhighway

bsmom;3382 said:
but during the day, when we put him in a larger, more open crate for any length of time (to take a shower, clean the house, etc) he cries and barks until he tires himself out enough to nap (which is just about the time I'm FINISHED doing whatever it is I needed the peace and quiet to do in the FIRST PLACE ;) ).
Ok, now that's a trick you have to teach me. My new addition (4 months old) will howl bloody murder for hours. He doesn't get tired! :dogdry:

H

harrison

to my dog i a'm going too take you for a walk from your owner harrison