puppy biting

nessa

Hi
About a week ago i got a puppy (10 weeks today) a border coller cross australian kelpie. He'a a gorgeous puppy and a quick learner (he's already learnt sit, shake, down and rollover) When he's in a playful mood he likes to tug at a persons clothing and sometimes bite. It's not a big issue at the moment but I worry that if it isnt stopped now he'll still be doing it when he's bigger and more frequently.

Ive read that one way to stop biting is to give a high-pitched yelp and walk off. Problem is he chases me and tries to bite my jeans if he's in a playful mood.

I will be taking him to obedience school in about a month, but wanted to know what methods others have had success with to stop thir pups or dogs biting.

thanks

Nessa

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
When he bites you or nips at your clothing, give a sharp, "Ah-ah!" This noise should get his attention and make him release. Give him a proper chew toy, and praise him when he plays with it instead of your clothes. Be firm and consistent. Don't discourage him from nipping one time, and then let him get by with it another. You have to discourage him from nipping every time, even when he "just looks so cute." Also, he's a pup. He needs things to chew on to relieve stress during the teething period. Give him plenty of chew toys. Good luck and congratulations on your new puppy! :dogsmile:

splitz831

Lots of dogs like to chew on your fingers because they are attached to you so they feel closer to you when they are able to mouth you, but you can't allow it. Even during playful time always make a no sound (whatever you choose) and replace your hand or clothing with a chew toy that is close at hand. It can be hard to get out of the habit because when dogs play together they use their mouths but it just isn't acceptable to play with your human family like that.

bipa

Ive read that one way to stop biting is to give a high-pitched yelp and walk off. Problem is he chases me and tries to bite my jeans if he's in a playful mood.
When you walk away from your puppy, it could be interpreted as a "chase me" game. Another possible method is to "be a tree". You make an ouch noise, and then stand up, sometimes even turn around, and freeze. Don't move, don't make any other noises, and don't make eye contact. Then after about 30 seconds or a minute when the pup has settled down, start playing again. The idea is that the pup will learn that nipping or other unwanted behaviour stops the play completely, so he'll be less likely to nip in the future.

storm22

Experienced Member
my puppy is slowly learning not to bite we, say OUCH loudly and ignore her till she calms down sometimes thou, we have to squeeze her muzzle till she lets go (like a mother dog would) as shes strong headed and doesnt always like to listen to others it seems to be after shes plays with other dogs roughly she expects she can bite humans just as hard,
she just needs to learn humans are different to dogs shes learning quite fast thou as soon as my mother or i say OUCH she backs off

bryan

saying ahhhhhhhh loud or NINE in a german tone works good. you have to be very consistant though. no human skin or clothing is to be in the dogs mouth at any time.........
bryan

kbox8

I have to agree I am going through all the bitting and tugging on the pants. My biggest challenge though is when my terrier gets so excited and he is playful and friendly then he bites your nose. I feel so bad because he has done it to my mother, sister and boyfriend so far and by the time you realize ouch that hurts his attention is somewhere else. He seems to have sort attention span...

storm22

Experienced Member
koda has made alot of progress in not biting she knows she is doing something wrong but she does have a quick bite and back off (i just think she trying to see if that is acceptable) but we still grow her back and sometimes squeeze her muzzle shut if she doesnt let go (she only seems to hold onto clothes)

but other wise her training is good

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I disagree...the crate is not meant to be a place of punishment. The crate is supposed to be a place where the dog feels safe. Dogs do not understand "time-outs" like children. The dog should have a positive association of the crate, not a negative one. If he is sometimes placed in the crate when he does something wrong, and sometimes fed in the crate, then he will not be able to differentiate between when the crate is a good place to be and when it is a bad place to be. He will ultimately not like his time spent in the crate at all.