Prozac (flouoxetine)

Dlilly

Honored Member
Hello everyone. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with giving a dog Prozac (Flouoxetine)? Long story short, Rory gets too wild/exited when he sees a dog, doesn't know how to act and so he gets agitated. I was suggested by my new trainer (who I really like) to consider giving him Pozac so we can do some training where he's listening and not insane. She worked with a dog like Rory and she gave the dog Prozac and she didn't have any issues.

I will do some more research, I know a few of the side effects, I just thought I'd ask on here first. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Frankly, no I wouldn't give a dog (or human for that matter) Prozac, too many side effects. What I've used with great success on an over excited dog is Bach's Rescue Remedy. Totally natural and really does work. Ratio is amount of drops to weight of dog.

Honored Member
Frankly, no I wouldn't give a dog (or human for that matter) Prozac, too many side effects. What I've used with great success on an over excited dog is Bach's Rescue Remedy. Totally natural and really does work. Ratio is amount of drops to weight of dog.
We used to use Rescue Remedy on one of our cats every time she had to go to the vets because she got so stressed. It seemed to work.
I think my brother was given it for a while too, in his water bottle, to calm him down.

Never used it on a dog though. Maybe it's something to try before going to Prozac.
I understand some trainers do suggest using medication initially to get the behaviour you want and then stopping the meds (like using a halty initially when leash training a larger dog), but maybe try a "gentler" medication (Rescue Remedy) first, at least while you research the Prozac.

I know you will be able to sort Rory out, and he will really teach you a lot.
Good luck

fickla

Experienced Member
My toller is on Prozac, along with other anti anxiety drugs. Behavior modification took us a long way, but it only took us so far. I was scared, and ashamed, to try drugs with him but after seeing the world of difference it has done it was the right choice for him. Just like you wouldn't hesitate to treat a dog with a broken leg, some dogs need treatment for a chemical imbalance. Prozac takes about 6wks to kick in. Not all drugs are right for all dogs, even dogs who need drugs. Vito has tried several different drugs, with guidance from our vet behaviorist, with varying success and failure rates.

All that being said, I don't know your dog. I would never discuss medication without seeking a board certified veterinarian behaviorist. If there isn't one in your area, at the very least a vet who is well versed in behavior. A trainer is NOT qualified to prescribe drugs, but there are a few great trainers out there who can recognize signs and refer you to a vet. Just because your dog is excited to greet other dogs doesn't mean he needs drugs, but it of course doesn't mean that he doesn't. My friend wrote this excellent blog post on considering medication for dogs:
http://reactivechampion.blogspot.com/2011/08/meds-and-your-dog-part-i-should-you.html

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Fickla gave you some excellent advice - and that's a great article she attached, I hope you'll read it. Please do see a vet/behaviorist before you make a decision one way or the other, and you'll get the guidance you need. It's possible Rory may need meds for a while, while you continue to work with him. Hard to know, since none of us knows him, has seen how he is, how he acts/reacts, etc. Nor are most of us qualified to make that call. I know in Fickla's case, she worked so hard with Vito for so long (I can remember your threads, Laura - wow!). I have a friend who adopted an otherwise unadoptable Germ Shep, he had/has shown so much aggression to people (including his 'people' who only use positive reinforcement), and after many bites (with little/no warning), much training, etc, the only decision left was meds (before ... you know what). It's now a few years later, and at least they're able to work with him and live with him - and prior to that, he was SCARY (and GS's usually don't scare either of us!). He's at least enjoying his life, and they're not in a constant state of fear, wondering if he's about to bite. If meds weren't used with him, I think it's safe to say he'd no longer be around.

I know someone else who used Prozac with her Golden, who was attacked and traumatized by another dog at a young age. She was a shy dog - and it threw her over the edge. Prozac, time, and gradual exposure to life helped immensely. Again, it was at the recommendation of a vet/behaviorist. I had major issues with Alfie for the first year (well, more - but esp for the first year) after I adopted him. Several people (not trainers) had recommended meds. I did see a vet/behaviorist (at the trainer's recommendation) and she gave us a good protocol to follow - altho no meds - and we successfully turned him around.

Do give it a lot of thought. In my opinion, it's a big decision, and not one to be made lightly. But - if there is an imbalance in the brain causing inappropriate behavior, meds can help turn things around while you continue to work with him. I urge you to seek the guidance of a qualified vet/behaviorist.