Problem With Dog And Feeding.

jordyquint

Experienced Member
I'm not really sure where this topic is supposed to go, but it pertains to dog food. Sorry if it's on the wrong board.

I started my family's three dogs on a feeding schedule (finally) about two weeks ago. Two of my dogs will eat all of their food, but my Beagle x Chihuahua will not eat in the mornings.

I feed at 9:30 AM and 9:00 PM. He chows down at night, but will not touch his food in the morning. He'll just go back to bed and sleep. They all get regular walks. I'm thinking he doesn't know he's supposed to eat in the morning or he is just too tired, if that's possible.

What do you think? I've been monitoring quit a bit, but since I'm at my mom's this weekend I can't do so as I'm not with them.

Should I take him on a walk/run when I get up before his feeding at 9:30 AM? Will he want to eat after that?

They usually get walked in the afternoon and at night.

I'm so confused. Help?

~ Jordyquint

sara

Staff member
A dog will not starve itself, if he wont eat in the morning, then he's not hungry. The best thing to do is leave his food down for 5 mins, if he walks away, just pick it up, feed him at the next mealtime. Are you feeding him too much?

jordyquint

Experienced Member
I leave it down for at least ten minutes. He actually lost a little weight (he was a little overweight) because he is not eating his morning meal. If he continues not to eat in the morning, what should I do?

Ashley Toomey

I'm not sure what Im meant to feed Zach..
He's a pomeranian and he's a little overweight .. Im not sure when to walk him (i go to school)
and mums not around cause she gets home around 5 .. :(
Please help :)
Thanx

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm not sure what Im meant to feed Zach..
He's a pomeranian and he's a little overweight .. Im not sure when to walk him (i go to school)
and mums not around cause she gets home around 5 .. :(
Please help :)
Thanx
I know nothing about feeding a pomeranian but if a dog is getting fat you can always cut back a bit on the food, if you are training using treats you need to make sure you feed him less to compensate for all the treats he eats.

As for walking, lots of us do or have juggled our dogs and our jobs. You need to work out when is best for you and you need to think about when it is safe for you to walk him too. Would a quick round the block walk first thing in the morning and then a proper walk after school work best for you? But remember that if your dog is being left alone it is better for him to be tired out by a good walk first...

The only pom that I know well gets about a mile and a half walk each morning and then a dog walker takes him (and his mutt buddy) out in the afternoon... they're spunky and energetic little dogs if they get the chance.

running_dog

Honored Member
you have given me alot to think about :)
xx
You've got a big responsibility if you have to look after a dog mostly by yourself BUT it is worth it a 1000 times over because of how much fun it is to have your own dog... I wanted my very own dog for 18 years before I finally got him, for the last 3 years I was almost counting the days! :)

sara

Staff member
I got my first dog when I was 7, and believe me, she was MY dog! I didn't let anyone else do ANYTHING with her! SHE WAS MINE!!!! Though in retrospect, my parents did alot... I just did the fun stuff like walking her and training her, and feeding her, and playing with her, and giving her her meds (she had Hypothyroidism), sleeping with her, letting her out, letting her in, giving her haircuts, clipping her nails... wait, she really WAS my dog! lol

running_dog

Honored Member
Yes Sara, I think she WAS your dog!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We had "family" dogs but they were always devoted to my sister (even though she did nothing with them). In the end I practically brainwashed my family, I even made a very realistic stuffed toy that looked like the dog I wanted! My best birthday present ever was when I finally got a "Yes".

sara

Staff member
HA HA HA!!! I spent a full year pretending to BE a dog... I think that's why my family finally caved! LOL, Patches was the only "person" who did NOT like my sister better! LOL I have a twin who was very popular, self-confident and gregarious... everyone naturally was drawn to her (not the shy fat twin) except Patches (and later Benji) So I really, REALLY took it to the extreme, I never let anyone do anything with Patches... EVER! Patchie bit my sister once (she was bugging her and not heeding warnings) I did an internal happy dance and praised her to high heaven after Lauren left... tee hee not that Patchie knew what I was praising her for, but it made ME happy... I think we were 12 LOL

running_dog

Honored Member
Now why didn't I think of pretending to be a dog for a year? It might have cut 10 years from my waiting time... :notworthy:

Good dog Patchie! :D