Performing

boltandjenny

Hi Bolt and I are going to be performing at a pet show and was wondering if you guys have tips on how to not be so nervous, and how should I show each trick. Maybe have a routine of tricks or just showcase them one by one and just keep moving forward. Any help would be appreciated :)

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Something we do with Gordy that ends up being kind of cute is my boyfriend and I will have a conversation with hidden "trick" words weaved all throughout it. Gordy doesn't know that many tricks yet, and so its hard to make a conversation that makes sense... we usually ad lib these ridiculous conversations... but people think its cute, so eh.
We started it by accident... when I was reading the class plans for our foster dog's obedience class out loud to my boyfriend, Gordy would "sit" as soon as I read "sit" lay down as soon as I read "down"... and so on. So we thought it would be funny to do it with his small little repertoire of tricks too.
As far as not being nervous... I'm a mess when I have to do anything in public, but when Gordy and I do any kind of contest, I don't get so nervous because I know Gordy's the star... and if he messes up... who cares! It's all for him to have fun, and he doesn't know that anybody knows he messed up, so as long as I'm happy he will be :)

boltandjenny

Something we do with Gordy that ends up being kind of cute is my boyfriend and I will have a conversation with hidden "trick" words weaved all throughout it. Gordy doesn't know that many tricks yet, and so its hard to make a conversation that makes sense... we usually ad lib these ridiculous conversations... but people think its cute, so eh.
We started it by accident... when I was reading the class plans for our foster dog's obedience class out loud to my boyfriend, Gordy would "sit" as soon as I read "sit" lay down as soon as I read "down"... and so on. So we thought it would be funny to do it with his small little repertoire of tricks too.
As far as not being nervous... I'm a mess when I have to do anything in public, but when Gordy and I do any kind of contest, I don't get so nervous because I know Gordy's the star... and if he messes up... who cares! It's all for him to have fun, and he doesn't know that anybody knows he messed up, so as long as I'm happy he will be :)
I'll probably try that out! thanks for the suggestion :)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Can you practice at the place where you'll be doing the tricks, so your pup gets used to it? It might also help to practice them in whatever order you'll use, so he can rely on memory as well, in case he's nervous too.

Audiences also like when the dog does something 'wrong' so having a cue for "yes" that makes him shake his head "no" , having him pull something out of your back pocket when you bend over, etc. is usually a hit. It will also help cover any boo-boos :)

Dlilly

Honored Member
I did a trick demo with Shiloh last April, and I just did a bunch of tricks then I would take a break to tell them about Shiloh and how I trained her. I also did some tricks where the kids could help out, I had 6 kids stand in a line while holding hula hoops, then I had Shiloh jump through them. I brought lots of props because I thought those tricks were more impressive. Everyone was really impressed by the simple tricks, and the kids were so amazed at the harder tricks! You could just do a random tricks, but I think some sort of routine would be best.

This is what I did:

*I did a trick
*Took a moment to introduce myself
* Did some more tricks
*Answered some questions
*I let the kids help out with some tricks
*Then I finished up the rest of my tricks and I was done!
*After my demo, I explained how I taught some of the tricks if anyone was interested

As for being nervous, I was so focused on remembering her tricks I wasn't really nervous. I have an awful memory and I always forget her tricks. (I ended up writing them on my hands)

Good luck!!

boltandjenny

Can you practice at the place where you'll be doing the tricks, so your pup gets used to it? It might also help to practice them in whatever order you'll use, so he can rely on memory as well, in case he's nervous too.

Audiences also like when the dog does something 'wrong' so having a cue for "yes" that makes him shake his head "no" , having him pull something out of your back pocket when you bend over, etc. is usually a hit. It will also help cover any boo-boos :)
I actually cant practice at the place they are having the pet show, Bolt knows a trick like that I'll try it out :)

boltandjenny

I did a trick demo with Shiloh last April, and I just did a bunch of tricks then I would take a break to tell them about Shiloh and how I trained her. I also did some tricks where the kids could help out, I had 6 kids stand in a line while holding hula hoops, then I had Shiloh jump through them. I brought lots of props because I thought those tricks were more impressive. Everyone was really impressed by the simple tricks, and the kids were so amazed at the harder tricks! You could just do a random tricks, but I think some sort of routine would be best.

This is what I did:

*I did a trick
*Took a moment to introduce myself
* Did some more tricks
*Answered some questions
*I let the kids help out with some tricks
*Then I finished up the rest of my tricks and I was done!
*After my demo, I explained how I taught some of the tricks if anyone was interested

As for being nervous, I was so focused on remembering her tricks I wasn't really nervous. I have an awful memory and I always forget her tricks. (I ended up writing them on my hands)

Good luck!!
I might try this one out! Thanks for the suggestion :)

SD&B

Experienced Member
For one of my classes when Sundog was a puppy, we were supposed to show off tricks at the last class session. I wrote out a little story that gave her an opportunity to do tricks. (A Sundog biography). It really helped to add some structure. I was also able to add a little humor and a lot of fun that way.

Also, don't be afraid to use a note card. (Or write the tricks on your hand, as someone else suggested).

Practice will really help your confidence. You can always mix up a practiced routine with something like a question-and-answer session. Explain clicker training. (Don't forget to mention that the same concept is used to train dolphins and killer whales.)

Bolt and Jenny had some really good suggestions. Kids really love when you show them how to ask a dog to sit and then the dog actually does it for the kid.

I haven't done much of this type of stuff, but I do have another suggestion. Take a look on Youtube and check out demonstrations by Kyra Sundance. You don't have to do things like she does, but you can probably get some great ideas from her.