Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chunks

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I prefer an organic peanut butter because it contains less salt, but you don't necessarily have to use organic. If you are, however, you have to mix the oils and the peanut butter. You can do this by simply taking a fork and mixing it(thoroughly...it takes a while) until it gets...well, peanut buttery. Lol.
Okay, so basically how much you use is entirely up to you. If you want a lot, use a lot, if you want a little, use a little. Put a blob of peanut butter on the plate, and drop a small handful of oats onto it. With your hand, mix the oats and peanut butter together. There should be more oats than peanut butter.
Using your hands, mold the peanut butter and oats into a bar.
Put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then cut it into however big or small pieces you want. Put it back in the freezer for at least another 5 minutes. I prefer to cool it because otherwise it's gooey and not as easy to chew. My dogs really love these. It also makes a great Kong stuffer! Again, how much you use is entirely up to you. Have fun!

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
Must try that one. I always use peanut butter in a kong but have never thought of mixing it with oats. Was going to suggest it might also be an idea to use the peanut butter made without sugar.

Sue

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hmm, gonna have to check the sugar content on the organic peanut butter....can't remember how much is in it. o-0 But Mud goes crazy for these. The oats add a little extra flavor, and it makes the peanut butter less gooey. ^^ That's why I like adding them. Plus, they're healthy. :dogsmile:

bigboytex

lol My mutts love this...one of them was on one end of the kong and the other was on the other end of it.

harry8

This is a great idea! I'm going to make them next weekend - even my fiance wants to try eating them!! :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks! Lol, let us know what your fiance thinks of them as well as your handsome dog. ^^ Hope they both enjoy them!

maven

I know this thread is long dead but I just have to say that Pip loves this recipe -- my grandkids came begging a few times too. In the Kong they got a little gooey, but Pip just worked harder at it and eventually did manage to get all of it out. This is quick and easy and the ingredients were already on hand.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol! Glad to hear everyone's liking this one. Maven, you're right it is very gooey...I try to keep my frozen enough that it doesn't get messy. Mine rarely last long enough to get very gooey...the dogs get it all eaten long before it's much of a mess. ^^ They really love it. If you freeze a big, thin block of it and chop it into tiny chunks, it's a great jackpot treat. Like you've all said, it's very easy to make and the ingredients are neither expensive nor hard to find.

I've never tried it myself(not an oatmeal fan, lol) but I've been told by many people that it's a favorite of both them and their dogs!!! :doglaugh:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
@tx_cowgirl: I just need to stock up on rolled oats before I make these. (I usually have them in the house as I ride horseback and used to make homemade horse treats... so I must do that first!

I will definitely let you know how Missy likes it. :)

Chloe and Buddy

Experienced Member
I'm soooo trying this one! So easy! Plus, I always have those ingredients on hand!

I have to be sure to put more oats then PB.... *shudders* I still can't forget that incident.... :|

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy LOVES these, but i only give him a few at a time, and tend to space them out with many days "off" in between, cuz i worry about the fats and calories.

When i make them, i use a few for breakthrough moments or jackpots, he sure does love them!
I store them in the fridge. To cut down on gooey-ness, i pulverize some of his dog kibble, and mix that in, really firms it up nicely.
I've also rolled these in crushed up kibble, too, helps make them less gooey to handle.
I MAKE MINE SUPER TINY .

charmedwolf

Staff member
Not even gonna lie, when I was doing sports all the time I used to make this for myself though I used to add in nutella and chocolate protien powder. It made the best protien bars that tastes like a reece's cup.

I fill Kratos' kong with this when we first got Jinx and Isis. He loved it!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
So happy with the response to these treats.
Everyone and their dogs love them! HA, pun intended! :D

I love this for a Kong filling, works great. And I love using it for jackpot treats. Haven't thought of crushing kibble to firm them up a bit though, thanks Tigerlily!

James Mann

Peanut butter and oats are both things I love myself. It's Sunday, so I'm think I will make some of these today. Both Honey and I can munch on them and watch fishing shows all day.