Parkour Dog Training??

DaniG

I don't think size is as important as breed is. For instance, I think a ridgeback would probably do very well but a shepherd not so much because of their anatomy. If you're going all out in the parkour I would think you would want a muscular dog that is tough, probably that has a low center of gravity.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Yet, look at the Schutzhund and police work that is done with Shepherds... I mean scaling walls and all that sort of thing. Also I bet that a poodle or a l terrier or many of the herding dogs would be good, or a schnauzer or a dobe or an eskie... Hmmm, I am thinking that one woudl adjust their approach to fit their individual dog, play up their strengths and support their weaker areas. With regular practice they will still be stronger if you approach it sensibly. When you watch the video that has the other breeds in it you can see how different they are but I think it is fantastic to see that dachshund out there workin it! My dog is never going to be able to leap like Tret, and his front is not built that well so I will always limit his jumping. Also, he is not a focused gung ho off-leash able dog, but still we will dream our little dreams and bond and run around and have fun. Also this is not so different from disc dog or agility any other thing where dogs really work out and if you want to do it hard core you have to make a real commitment . Most of us just aren't that serious. The trick is to try to make sure one's dog doesn't suffer because you are inconsistent in your practice.

sara

Staff member
Seriously? a Dachshund? that's awful! I would NEVER ask my Doxies to jump, or do anything that would stress their backs. I don't even let my Doxies jump off of furniture (if I can help it) Yes, they're athletic little dogs, but their backs are weak, and it's not healthy to let them jump.

DaniG

Seriously? a Dachshund? that's awful! I would NEVER ask my Doxies to jump, or do anything that would stress their backs. I don't even let my Doxies jump off of furniture (if I can help it) Yes, they're athletic little dogs, but their backs are weak, and it's not healthy to let them jump.

I tend to agree. Small amount of jumping like jumping over an agility jump because of the way they jump and land is one thing, but the parkour type jumping from a doxie is just asking for a slipped disc. I honestly don't even know if I could watch a doxie doing it because of that reason. I had a hard enough time watching the Olate Dogs jump over hurdles on their back legs without cringing going "Please don't blow an ACL".

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Thanks for mentioning the Olate Dogs. I do not watch T.V. so I had not seen them, that was a treat.

As far as the weak breed question goes: Is not a thoughtfully excercised, fit dog better off than a dog that is not allowed to do things because of their "inherited" weaknesses? I have to stick with the opinion that it comes down to the individuals(dog and human) involved and the humans responsibility and commitment. I have had, and have, too many "glass" dogs but they are and have always been better off with consistant and thoughtful excercise and a progressive extension of their abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cPR37MG_NDE

threenorns

dandy would LOVE this - we already do a "baby" version: he jumps onto the fire hydrant and from there over to the cement planter box; jumps up onto wooden posts holding the highway crash barrier; crawls under and jumps over picnic benches; climbs ladders; and yeah - bounces off walls but not that way - more of a karate kick thing. also not in one long sustained effort bec of that whole "mandatory leash" crap here.

you know what!??? i would *kill* to see a movie starring TreT and Jackie Chan!

Dlilly

Honored Member
I can't wait until Rory is 18 months old, he jumps on EVERYTHING. My brother's desk, (thank goodness he didn't break his computer! :eek:) their lego table (which is wayy taller than he is) every single rock he sees, chairs, ledges, Rory is all over the place. I'm trying to keep him from jumping on everything, but it's really hard. He thinks he can fly or something. :cautious: