Painting Dogs :)

Dogster

Honored Member
I have recently been teaching Shivon the painting trick.:) Day 1 was all about introducing her to the paintbrush and eisel. Day 2 is when she started painting. We started off with orange, each day we will use a different color, so you will be able to see what she has done during the session.:D
Day 2:
IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

Painter's paw;)
IMG_1921.JPG

Shivon is getting the movements, but as soon as she does the movement on the paper, she drops the brush. Any suggestions??? Are there any tutorials on youtube??? Anyone who is or wants to teach this to their dog please reply!!!!:D

DaniG

Great job! After Duke gets Cop-Cop and I get an easel I will be teaching this one to him =).

Maybe try teaching her to drop the paintbrush into the paint, like putting her toys away, before going further with anymore painting? So that she learns that we always put the paintbrush away into the container with the paint. You may have already done that, but that was my first instinct =).

SD&B

Experienced Member
As far as dropping the paintbrush, it sounds like you could work on her hold or the brush movement. Maybe teach her to give you the brush after she does a stroke. Or, as someone else suggested, to put it in a certain place, such as a paint bucket (or small plastic trash can or whatever your version of the paintbucket might be). It's hard because, as you click the brush stroke, she may think the trick is over and drop the brush. So teach her to do something with it. Or just make sure you have your hand on the brush when you click on the stroke so that she doesn't drop it on the floor. That's how I started Sundog's hold. Then we advanced to the step of giving it to me or placing it somewhere.

Orange goes very nicely on Shivon's paw. It really complements her color. Of course, as you and I both well know, everything goes with black. :)

Looking forward to seeing the next session results.

Dogster

Honored Member
Thanks for the advice, SD&B!!!!:) I'll be working more with her today in the afternoon. I'll post more pics of her progress.

Yes, everything goes with black.:p

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
DOGSTER, THIS IS SOOOOOO CUUUTE, i can't stand it! :ROFLMAO: Just way too cute!!! I love it!! Can't wait to see the painting progress along!!
HUGE KUDOS TO YOU AND SHIVON!!!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
Okay....

MAJOR, MAJOR, BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!:D YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sooo happy!!!! Okay, so now I should say what happened.:oops:

Sooo, I'm practising with her to hold the paintbrush, and she gets it!!! She can hold it!!!!:) Then, I start telling her to touch my hand while holding the paintbrush. She can't do it. Then, I tell her to hold the paintbrush and sit. YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! She did it!!!!!!!!:) So I asked her to hold it and touch my hand. And.....
SHE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

And then she did it on the easel!!!!!!!!!!!!! I added paint and... SHE PAINTED!!!! SHE PAINTED WITHOUT DROPPING THE BRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!:D I'm sooooooo happy right now:D