Our New Dog Streets - The Pittie Who Survived Being Eaten

luckylego

Experienced Member
So it's been a while since my last post, but I thought I'd pop in to introduce the newest member of our family, miss Streets!

After our last adoption attempt (the rope burned puppy I posted about earlier) we decided to hold off on searching until the perfect dog came to us.. Enter Streets..

Those of you outside of Canada probably haven't heard of her.. Below is the link to her news story:

Basically, Streets was found in Ontario.. People walking by heard screaming and went to check it out. They found a man lying in the street punching and choking a young dog while biting at and eating parts of her face, neck and throat. She managed to get away and her and her puppies (who were discovered later in the mans home) were sent off to Hugabull in Vancouver - as pit bulls are illegal in Ontario. While in foster care they started bringing her into the daycare where I work, and I immediately fell in love. Understandably, she's still quite shaken from her ordeal and is pretty distant and aloof with people. I spent the first few days with a pocket full of treats attempting to win her over - and it worked! After a couple days I got a tail wag out of her, and now she spends her days bringing me balls to throw for her :)

Knowing their policy on female-female placements, I finally sucked up the guts to ask if I could even be considered as a potential home for her. To my surprise my boss jumped on the phone, made a couple calls and informed me that because they think it would be such a great fit and they know lego, they're going to bend the rules and let her come home with me! 24 hours later and I'm bringing her home after work already :D

Anyways, that's my exciting news.. I'm sure I'll be posting again shortly with all sorts of pictures and new tricks we've started working on once she settles. Until then.. here's a picture from today
556892_10152315408085165_832275445_n.jpeg

southerngirl

Honored Member
Oh my gosh!!! That is absolutely horrid that such a thing happened to her and scary that this is the third person I've heard of with that kind of odd zombie like behavior. I'm really happy she was able to get away and that those people acted quickly by grabbing her. I'm glad that you have her, she is a lucky girl. I can't wait to hear more about this gorgeous girl.

luckylego

Experienced Member
If I remember correctly, Bullies in Need did have her at first, and then they transferred her and her pup to Hugabull. I sort of lucked out in getting to meet her in the first place as my boss is the president of Hugabull and we run the daycare where she was brought in! I just walked in the door with her and so far so good - after a bit of exploring she pulled herself onto the couch and is up beside me begging for treats :p She meets Lego in about an hour when my boyfriend gets home with her so we'll see how that goes. She's still fairly distant.. The better way to describe it is broken. It's hard to explain, but its very obvious that a part of her is still traumatized.. She's responsive and she wags her tail and everything, but very cautious and aloof. Her personality is very much that of someone who's just been completely and totally broken, and her face has a permanent worried look on it. Buut with some time and love she'll start to behave like a normal, happy go lucky dog again, I'm sure of it :D

And might I add.. she is BRILLIANT. The focus and drive on this dog.. Wow. I can't wait to get her started in a sport!!

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm in shock!!!!!!!!!! That's beyond words........... those two young fellows were really grand in calling the police and the people who responded in catching her. Poor baby, no wonder she has a worried look, but so glad you have her now and she's sure to be one happy go lucky dog, given time and all the love she's now getting, in the future. Yes she's broken now but time s a great healer. She's such a cutie pie!!!!!!!:love:

luckylego

Experienced Member
No kidding! Sadly enough many people wouldnt have stepped in at all.. ESPECIALLY given the circumstances. It makes ne happy to know there are still decent people out there!

On another note.. WOW what a difference a day - and a ton of love makes! We went from a.totally shut down and distant dog who we were warned could take a while to warm up to us, to a SOMEWHAT normal and happy dog! She still has a ways to go before beig back to a normal happy dog (she is only a year and a half but acts much older), but it's a great start! Within an hour she was up on the couch with me.. This morning she greeted us with an enthusiastic tail wag and some cuddles and ear nibblings. While getting ready for work I invited her up on my bed for pets, and she THREW herself into me and then flopped onto her back and wiggled around making dinosaur noises trying to play with me... Honestly.. This girl makes my heart melt. To think that ANY dog could suffer the abuse that she did and still come out of it issue free is amazing.. she makes me want to cry :)

Unfortunately Im at work or I'd share more.. Will definitely be posting videos and updates tonight or tomorrow :D

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh my....what a horrible story:eek::eek: I don't even know what to say...I didn't know there were people in this world who could do such aweful things...:eek::mad::cry:

My, she is a sweetheart, and such a cutie!!!!!!:love: She's beautiful!!! Definately in good hands.:)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
What the heck is going on with these weirdos attacking people/dogs... I don't get it. They really need to find out what is causing this insane behavior!

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes despite everything it is good to know there are still decent people in this world.

You've brought a tear of happiness to my eyes. Ms. Streets is making HUGE progress, what a sweet heart:love: I feel she knows you love her and will never harm her. Aren't dogs just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! They so quickly respond to love and attention (Positive attention of course). A human would take forever, if at all, to recover from that terrifying experience but Ms. Streets is already responding with doggy love, so beautiful to hear that.:love:

Umm what are 'dinosaur' noises please? They sound really cute!!!!!!! Would love to hear them.:D

luckylego

Experienced Member
She looks like a sweetheart. Love her name!
We didn't choose it, and were actually considering changing it, until we learned that she was named after the animal control officer who responded to the scene, Michael Street. From what I've been told, he was the one who had her transferred to Bullies in Need rather than turn her over to the authorities - thus saving her from being held as evidence and very likely euthanized.. Therefore.. We're keeping the name to honour the man who helped save our girl :)

Umm what are 'dinosaur' noises please? They sound really cute!!!!!!! Would love to hear them.:D
Hahah! Well.. That's just what I call the funny little noises she makes when she's exited. I guess it's moreso just like a growly roaring noise, but the word dinosaur just came to mind when I first heard it! I just wish I had it on camera!

What the heck is going on with these weirdos attacking people/dogs... I don't get it. They really need to find out what is causing this insane behavior!
I heard something about bath salts.. But I'm not sure if they ever found out if they were involved in this case. I wish I knew what came of everything.. Whether they determined if he was on drugs or just plain insane. Either way, last I heard he's been banned from owning animals for 15 years!

I promised you guys pictures and a video or two, so here it is: (Don't mind my scrawny little Lego dog, she's been a bit under the weather lately and lost a bit of the meat on her bones!)

Here are my two crazies having a wrestling match in my kitchen tonight:

289026_10152352252310165_1737687242_o.jpg

412052_10152358504835165_693439055_o.jpg

MaryK

Honored Member
Poor baby, but what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Nothing like loads of love and a good friend to wrestle with in the kitchen. So cute:love:

She and Lego have certainly chummed up together, it's as if they've always been chums.:)

So glad you kept her name, that's lovely. I guess though she still may have an issue or two, which is understandable, but so happy to see her acting like a happy, loved dog.:love:

The 'worried' look is already vanishing, she looks very comfy on the sofa and very hopeful when she's about to get a treat. And she responded so well, o.k. slight slip up, but quickly corrected. She's one smart lassie.

Is Lego o.k. now? Hope it's not serious.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Love the pictures and video. Lego and Streets seem like best friends now.
It's great to see how happy Streets is after what happened to the poor girl.
I hope Lego gets better soon and puts her weight back on.