Organizing A Trick Show.

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
I'm curious, why is his name Jackal??? (it's an ADORABLE name, by the way!!!!:D )
LOL funny story actually. I knew I was getting him several weeks before he was weaned and I was agonizing over what to call him. I like to name my pets before they ever even come home, but my husband was telling me to wait and get to know him first so I could pick something that matched his personality. So the day we went to get him we met his dad, a gorgeous Mountain Cur that they called CoJack. I have no clue what the name means or why they picked it. As we were getting in the car to leave the woman's father said, "So since his dad is CoJack are you going to call him Jackal?" After the fact I realized he must have said JackCo or Jacko, but at the time he said it I thought he said Jackal. It was unique and sounded really cool so I decided to call him Jackal. I think I was just so desperate to have him named I would have called him anything at that point lol! For our next dog my husband will just have to give it a nickname because I will definitely be naming it before it comes home! :D

Dogster

Honored Member
GREAT story!!!!:LOL: Ha, everyone wonders why I named my dog Shivon. Umm.... DEFINATELY not a common dog name. I adopted her from the Toronto Humane Society and they gave her the name Sioban. No one knew how to pronounce it. So I made it easier, thus the name Shivon. I decided to keep her name from the Toronto Humane Society (I was the only one on board with it), I really don't know why.:D I guess I couldn't come up with anything better.... my dad still wants to change her name.:rolleyes:

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Cool!! Hopefully my list of tricks helped give you some ideas so you can get to forty way before four years lol. :) Keep up the great work with her.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Cool!! Hopefully my list of tricks helped give you some ideas so you can get to forty way before four years lol. :) Keep up the great work with her.
Thanks! :) We're working on 'shame' these days. :D Also, I tried teaching her "your paws on my feet" (a.k.a. cop cop) tonight but she just barked at me wondering what to do... :rolleyes: lol

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I just compiled a list of Missy's tricks using your (achieve1dream) trick list..

Missy's updated trick list:

1. Sit
2. Down
3. Stay
4. Wait
5. Give
6. Off
7. Out (get your nose out of whatever you're sniffing/out of the garden)
8. Leave it
9. Stand (from a sit position)
10. Back up
11. Bounce
12. Hup (jump over a bar)
13. Paw (left paw)
14. Shake (right paw)
15. Spin (spins to the right)
16. Twirl (spins to the left)
17. Bow
18. Roll Over (rolls to the right)
19. Other Way (rolls to the left)
20. Figure Eight
21. Grape Vine
22. Go to Bed
23. Touch (my hand)
24. Fetch
25. Take it
26. Hide your eyes (same as S.Y.P.)
27. Inside
28. Bubbles
29. Get it
30. Bring it
31. Cross paws
32. Roll Yourself in a Blanket
33. Grape Vine (weaving through my legs)

There are a few in your list that she doesn't know though like:

marching paws
crawl
paws in a bucket
fetch leash
close door and
peek-a-boo (working on)
Cop Cop (working on)

bekah1001

Honored Member
LOL funny story actually. I knew I was getting him several weeks before he was weaned and I was agonizing over what to call him. I like to name my pets before they ever even come home, but my husband was telling me to wait and get to know him first so I could pick something that matched his personality. So the day we went to get him we met his dad, a gorgeous Mountain Cur that they called CoJack. I have no clue what the name means or why they picked it. As we were getting in the car to leave the woman's father said, "So since his dad is CoJack are you going to call him Jackal?" After the fact I realized he must have said JackCo or Jacko, but at the time he said it I thought he said Jackal. It was unique and sounded really cool so I decided to call him Jackal. I think I was just so desperate to have him named I would have called him anything at that point lol! For our next dog my husband will just have to give it a nickname because I will definitely be naming it before it comes home! :D
Maybe they named him CoJack after Cujo, Stephan king's book.

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Awesome Missy!! Keep it up and you'll outdo us in no time lol. Learning how to teach Jackal has been a challenge in itself because he's a hound and I grew up working with German Shepherds and my Siberian Husky lol. I'm hoping someday to have a Papillon because they have the intelligence and trainability of a Border Collie, but in a smaller body. :D

Bekah, I haven't read the Cujo book and I only remember bits and pieces of the movie so I had no idea there was a CoJack in it lol. It's very possible though. :D

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
I haven't read it either or seen the movie :ROFLMAO:
LOL! I'll have to do some research. That very well might have been where they got the name, but I'll probably never know for sure. We don't really talk to the people we got Jackal from for reasons probably best not mentioned on a public forum lol. I disagree with their breeding program will pretty much cover it. Jackal was from an "oops" litter.

Sara Carson

Experienced Member
I do agree that there are liability worries with the idea. It only takes one dog to bite another or a person.. Have fun :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
All dogs will either be on or off leash depending on how well they've been taught to stay close and most of them don't go anywhere. :D

Missy still runs off so I'm planning to teach her to stay close in my backyard/come when called, that way when the time comes, (if she's ready), she'll be able to be off leash (my backyard is unfenced). We'll see. :)

I found some cute DIY award ribbons on the internet that I'm going to try to make for prizes. :D

Thanks for your input, Sara! =)