Organizing A Trick Show.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hey there,

Ok, so here's the situation:

1. Next week Saturday (April 14th), Missy and I hope to graduate Grade 3 obedience.

2. Also, there is a horse show at the barn where I ride as well that day.

Missy has to graduate, so I am not doing the horse show (if I switched classes which I was told I am allowed to do, she wouldn't do well, super sensitive and submissive, so I don't want to make her nervous in a new class).

I'm sure there will be more horse shows in the future. :)

That being said, my sister suggested I host a dog show in my backyard with ribbons. Any ideas of how I would go about organizing it?

Any new tricks I could teach Jasper and Freckles (the two 10 year old Shelties I dogsit)?

Jasper knows:
  1. Sit
  2. Down
  3. Shake a Paw (kind of - he won't really let me touch his paw but he does lift it when I ask him to for shake)
  4. Wave
  5. play dead/bang.
Jasper is working on:

Sit Up/Beg

Freckles knows:
  1. Roll Over
  2. Shake a paw
and that's about it for him.

Any new tricks I should teach Jack, a neighbors dog I walk every day?

Jack knows:
  1. Shake a paw
  2. Other Paw
  3. Roll Over
Jack is working on:
  1. Sit up/Beg
  2. Spin
What about new tricks for Missy to learn?

Missy knows:
  1. Bubbles
  2. Spin
  3. Twirl
  4. Bow
  5. Get it
  6. Bring it
  7. Shake (right paw)
  8. Paw (left paw)
  9. Roll over
  10. Other way
  11. Back up
  12. Good Side
  13. Cross paws
  14. Roll Yourself in a Blanket
  15. Grape Vine (weaving through my legs)
Missy will be brushing up on:
  1. Bubbles
  2. Good Side
Any new trick suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance to anyone who reads/replies!

Dogster

Honored Member
Okay, so with the other dogs, you can keep it (sort of) simple:
  • weave
  • target (easy button)
  • kisses!!!! (a real crowd-pleaser:D )
  • back up
  • figure eights
  • clean up (impressive(y) )
(Okay, the first 3 were simple:oops:)
And some other ones that I can't think of at the moment.....

For Missy...:
  • ashamed (just taught it to Shivon, ADORABLE!!!!)
  • figure eights
  • clean up
  • U-turn (back up+spin)
  • crawl

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks for the suggestions, Dogster! I will be using some of them. :) Anyone got anymore ideas though?

Dlilly

Honored Member
I'd be worried about having it on my property because if someone gets bit, I might be held responsible and have to pay for the expenses….

Dlilly

Honored Member
Oh, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just make sure no one will sue you if anything goes wrong since it's on your property. ;)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Any more suggestions for tricks to teach Missy or any of the others? I'm going to be starting to teach some of the tricks Dogster suggested today to Jasper and Freckles. :)

Also, Missy knows figure eights and clean up - I haven't worked on it for a while with her though. :) Oh, and I'm working on "shame" with her as well. =)

Keep trick ideas coming!

Dogster

Honored Member
maybe you can try teaching them agility???? Always a crowd-pleaser. If you don't have equiptment, you can always use sticks (Nana the border collie:))

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I taught Jasper and Freckles agility back when they were 6 or 7 yrs. old. I'm sure Freckles would be fine with agility, as he acts 10 times younger than Jasper most of the time, and Jasper would do okay with no jumping, as he has a bad hip every so often. :'(

Oh, and I love Nana the Border Collie!!!!

Thanks, Dogster!

Anymore members out there wanting to help me think of tricks or dog show classes (ex. Most Talented Trickster, Cutest, etc.)?? I need ideas for those too! :D

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh.:( Too bad...
Haha, I LOVE Nana too!!!! And HERO!!!! And Paige!!!!! And Chase!!!! And Jesse!!!!! (well, he's not a BC, but still....:D) (Sorry for derailing the thread, hehe:giggle:)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
No worries!

I just found a website with a whole bunch of different dog show classes that I would never have thought of on my own.

So, anyone have more trick ideas?

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
My dog Jackal knows 39 tricks so I'll list them and hopefully there are some that haven't been suggested yet (sorry I just glanced through what the others suggested!).

1. Sit
2. Down
3. Stay
4. Wait (wait at a door, gate, sidewalk, etc. until I say okay)
5. Give (give me whatever item is in his mouth)
6. Off (off the furniture or get out of the vehicle)
7. Out (leave the room or area I'm in)
8. Leave it
9. Stand (stand on all four from a sitting position)
10. Back
11. Wave
12. Jump (jump straight up in the air with all four off the floor)
13. Over (over a jump, stick, my leg, etc.)
14. Paw (left paw)
15. Shake (right paw
16. Spin (spin circle to his right)
17. Turn Around (spin a circle to his left)
18. Take a Bow
19. Peek-a-boo
20. Roll Over
21. Speak
22. Leg Weaves
23. Figure Eight
24. Crawl
25. Shy
26. Marching Paws
27. Fetch Leash
28. Go to Bed
29. Paws in a Bucket
30. Close Door
31. Touch (target)
32. Fetch
33. Take It (hold whatever I am offering in his mouth)
34. Hoop Jump
35. Load Up (get in the vehicle)
36. Walk on the treadmill (used to be terrified of it, now happily walks on it)
37. Recall
38. Say Your Prayers (still working on this one)
39. Inside (go inside the house from wherever he is in the yard)

Oh and he knows to go potty on cue. There are probably things I'm forgetting, but that's the list I wrote down (can't remember them all if I don't write them down). If you would like to see a video go here

I hope there are some in there that haven't been mentioned. If I think of anything else I'll post it. Also try Googling 100 dog tricks or check YouTube. Lot's of ideas there. :D

Oh and my Siberian Husky shakes her head no when I ask her if she's a psycho. :D It's a crowd favorite. Here's a video of her doing it.

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
WOW!!!! LOVE the vid!!!! WHAT a talented little Jackal, lol:ROFLMAO:
Thanks!! I've been clicker training with him since he was seven weeks old (now four years) and we have a lot of fun. :) If I were more dedicated he would probably know twice as many as he does lol, but we take long breaks sometimes. :)