Oka In The Forest

mewzard

Experienced Member
I took Oka over to a little piece of woodland about 2 minutes from our house - I took her at the very end of last summer with a friend and her dogs but i was wary of taking her myself. We've worked on recall alot recently and so i thought we'd give it a shot.

She did superbly and surprised me by not really going that far from me a few hundred yard at most. It's a nice little wood with lots of interesting things to explore and there a little stream at the bottom which she loved! We liked it so much we went the next day and she accidently flushed a rabbit, she rocketed off and i lost her for a few minutes, she found me but i think she frightened herself by going back to where she left me and i had wondered away from the spot...she stuck quite close for the rest of the time out!!
A few photo's, though a few are blurry - she moves fast!

Hope you like them!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
That sounds like so much fun! Glad you had a good time! It sounds like you made a great training move then...to keep going and have her really eager to come find you! Not something I would try with all dogs...but I am glad it worked out in your case!

By the way I love the pictures!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Such a pretty girl. ^^ Loooove the pictures. I am jealous of you being so close to such a great place.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
That is nice that you have such a neat place to explore that is so close to your house. There is a park by my house that has lots of trees in it but everybody brings their dog there and most of them have no control over them so you end up having a dog jumping up on you and everything... Not fun. I think I need to move to the country, lol!

mewzard

Experienced Member
We are in the countryside really, between our village, and adjacent one and 4 hamlet there is around 7,000 people
, i just don't really think of it like that as 5 miles away there is a town that is very nearly a city. However surrounding our village is farm and woodland for miles.

There is a green area here that I take Oka too aswell but i always put her on a long line incase she tries to take a run at another a dog - her recall is bad near other dogs (she has a strong pack 'drive'). I don't want her freaking someones dog or puppy out with her exuberent hello's. She can also be bad about greeting people so it gives me the option to reel her in!

It sounds like you made a great training move then...to keep going and have her really eager to come find you! Not something I would try with all dogs...but I am glad it worked out in your case!
I wasn't really sure what i should do! I figured that if i walked in the direction she went I should be able to see her and then recall her. I had done a bit of hiding behind trees but she seems to be quite good at tracking! I was proud of myself for not letting that bit of panic spill over and telling her off when she returned. I hope that she won't pelt off again but it's likely she will if she sees 'prey' - part of the deal with an Inuit cross I'm told - she nearly caught the bloomin' rabbit up on the initial sprint (what i saw of it) even though it had a head start!!

reveuse

What beautiful woods !!! and the pictures are awesome!

I desperately wish I had some nice open or just large and fenced space i could let Ro run in........ I did manage to sneak onto one of the baseball fields across from my apt the other week and he had a fab run around with his lab friend before we all got busted by a "guard" in a golf cart........ I can't take him to the dog park or the beach because of his maneating problems (as much as they are really improving I don't think he will get to the stage where I can let him just go and a long line isn't very fun for him there)

hmmmmmmmm gives "bunny snacks" a whole new meaning...