New Website Look

fly30

Experienced Member
Nice work ! I can see you are now using WordPress ! Very nice choice (I'm a WP expert hihi !) I can well imagined the amount of work that this new version may have involved. Well done to you and your developer ;)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Yes it was quite a lot of work. Wordpress is a great blogging platform and I will be using it much more as of now.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Anneke. Just to let everyone know, the main reason that I changed the layout is to have the website look more professional. I think with this new layout more trainers are going to join and contribute to the forums. Let's wait and see. ;)

charmedwolf

Staff member
I love the new look Jean! I've been staying on it to try and get used to it. The only problem I have with it is that the color telling you what you have read and what you haven't looks the same on mine so it is hard to figure out what I still need to read.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is supposed to be the same color. The new posts will have a "NEW" icon to the right of them.

rouen

Experienced Member
I was just browsing the tabs and noticed the pic you have in the dog training classes link on the left. Perhaps you should have a bit under the photo about calming signals and point out that those dogs are all stressed, likely due to the style of training. Thats not how training has to be.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I am liking it now, took a teeny bit of adjusting. Looks nice, Jean, i KNOW this was a TON of work.
I still miss the "CLASSROOM" as it was one of the few places we get "HOW TO"s. Most ppl post the final result of the trick their dog does, but not the step by step.

i know you plan to post classroom-type videos in your blogs,
but, couldn't we have BOTH,:rolleyes:
the "CLASSROOM"
as well as
your blogs, where you'll dispense those awesome, amazing videos (and write ups you had in classroom, which were most awesome) in your blogs?

or, would that be just wayyyyyyyyyy too much work?
THANKS FOR ALL YOU ARE DOING, JEAN!! WE SO SO SO APPRECIATE YOU AND THIS SITE!! IT'S THE BEST!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ONe other idea you may want to consider,
since you say you don't feel nonregistered passersby are signing in to see "classroom"
(i didn't realize, if not signed in, we couldn't access classroom!!)
mayyyyyyyybe
if you renamed the classroom button
"HOW TO TEACH TRICKS"
which IS WHY they have stopped by DogTrickAcademy...

That might sound less dreadful, more appealing...."classroom" to some ppl, might sound like a committment, something boring, overwhelming even, involving cash, grades, supplies, and hard work.
and really
they just want to know "HOW TO TEACH TRICKS"

so maybe, THAT MOST AWESOME feature,the crown jewel of this site--the classroom, just needs a new name?
Seeing a prominent button, labelled
"HOW TO TEACH TRICKS in only minutes per day"
could be be a strong lure to any passerby, if it made it simple to find what they did come here for,

"HOW TO TEACH TRICKS ~ it's easy! it's fun! You can start today!
It only takes a few moments each day."
plus,
honestly, without the classroom, there is a bit of dirth around here for step by step instructions.
Tons of videos of dogs doing final trick,
but
not a lot of ppl bother to explain the steps they used to get there, they just post final trick.

jsut a thought. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO, I KNOW YOU WORK SO SO HARD ON THIS SITE, AND THIS SITE *IS* THE BEST!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Tigerlily, that is a great suggestion. I think I will add a sitewide link that will go directly to some training lessons on exactly how to train tricks. ;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Jean, if you DO decide to add some "HOW TO" button for ppl who come here to learn how to teach dogs tricks, you could make it a BIG button or sign, making it clear this button or link leads to area where they can learn HOW TO TEACH TRICKS..

(If it is still going to be free, you might want to indicate that, too, cuz most of us who surf the net realize, most buttons on the net lead to a payment button, sooner or later. but, what do i know.)
I just really like that classroom, i thought you did flawless job of it, just the best ever. Even a beginner, who knows nothing about dog tricks, could get started in right direction if they clicked on your "classroom".

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Is the "delete" button gone? i can see and use the delete button, on a brand new post, for several minutes,
but then, an hour later,
the "delete" button is gone.
How do we now delete our own post??? THANKS!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
EY, FORGOT TO MENTION,
how much i love being able to read replies to threads via email! COOL!!
i have noted, we can only read original post, and many of us do go back and tweak a post once it's posted,
and of course, THOSE changes will NOT show up in emai version of postl,
but still, we can read posts via emails,:D THANK YOU!!

employers everywhere will be cursing you, Jean, lol, now ppl WILL be reading DTA replies at work!! :ROFLMAO:

charmedwolf

Staff member
Tigerlily, stop spreading my secret! My work will never know!

Mine doesn't say new but there is a blue orb? That shows up so that helps after I noticed it!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Is the "delete" button gone? i can see and use the delete button, on a brand new post, for several minutes,
but then, an hour later,
the "delete" button is gone.
How do we now delete our own post??? THANKS!
Yes you can delete your own post but there is a time limit, because it would be weird if people would delete messages a day or two after especially if there are replies to it. ;)