new trick idea

malken

My wife and I are huge harry potter nerds and so when we taught the dog to play dead we used the command "avada kadavera".

at this point we're a little hard up for trick ideas. He loves to do his tricks.

we were wanting to teach him to roll onto his back and squirm around ("Crucio" for any potter fans out there)

any tips?

yoyopoodle

Lol - those are good cues :D

The 'crucio' position is what I call 'dead dog' for my Poodle, and I've heard some people call it 'possum' (ie road kill). I use 'bang!' for a realistic dead pose.

For many dogs, you can get them to squirm on their backs while getting a belly rub, so I'd start with that and fade out the rubbing until you can stand while giving the command.

-Jillian

malken

thusfar no amount of belly rubs are getting him to squrim on his back. I'll keep at it. in the interem, any other ideas how to create the behaviour?

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Pami offered it to me, so I had an easy job with it.

Maybe you could try putting a treat on the ground, over his head, so when he tries to reach it, he will bend his back.

Does this sound silly only to me?? :D

malken

of course it's silly. thats a big part of the whole thing. but thanks for the idea. I'll give that a shot next.

yoyopoodle

My Charlie doesn't really like belly rubs, so I did what szecsuani did with the treat. I only wanted him to kind fold in half, and hold the pose.

He does like rubbing his back though, so I can get him to squirm by putting my hand between his back bone and the floor and doing a little massage, lol.

Maybe your dog is wired backwards like Charlie :D