New Puppy

Danimal

Hi!
My name is Dani and I am adopting a puppy. I finalized everything yesterday and next week after she is spayed, I will bring home a 3 month old English Setter that I plan to call Clover!

Growing up my family always had dogs, but there was never really training involved housebreaking and basic commands just kind of fell into place I guess. I never knew about crate training until I met a friend who crate trained her dogs. I have been doing a TON of research so I can teach commands and tricks and play fun games and healthcare. But I'm kind of nervous! I just wanna do right by my puppy with the things I am able to offer.

I know it will be fun and im so happy to be having a dog in the house again.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I will post pictures as soon as I have her situated at home.

Dani :)

Dodge

Hi,welcome,my goodness,stop the op,you dont want her spayed this early,I m shocked that a vet would do it :eek::confused:
Hope you can stop it,looking forward to pics and a chat.

sara

Staff member
Hi,welcome,my goodness,stop the op,you dont want her spayed this early,I m shocked that a vet would do it :eek::confused:
You live in the UK Dodge, in North America it's standard practice for dogs to be spayed and neutered early by rescues and shelters. It's done as soon as the testicles have dropped in males, and as soon as females are big enough to find the parts... for both it often can be done at around 8 weeks.

Not that I condone the practice, as I dont believe in early spay/neuter for my own pets, but from a rescue/shelter stand point, the less dogs in this world, the better, and most people cant be trusted with an intact animal, unfortunately, so it's better for the overall population for them to just be done early.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Dodge/sara : I also heard some are spayed at 8 weeks before they go home. What happens if they are spayed early.

And Welcome!

Dodge

:oops::oops::oops:ok,Dani,ignore my first post,please,I did not know that it is standard to have it done at that age where you live :oops:
Thank you for pointing that out for me,Sara,I really,really did not know :barefoot:
Crazy,ey! I can understand that they would want the pups/dogs spayed or neutered so that people are not "caught out" with puppies,there are far to many dogs needing a home anyway,but health and behaviour is just as important :cry: (I learned this far to late,vet told us its best to have him neutered when 8 months old,so we ve gone ahead and done it,not even a month later I read about all the risks and that it could happen that the "mind" could be stuck at the age when they had the op,I felt aweful :eek:thankfully my boy seems to be maturing with no probs,but I would never ever have it done again untill he would be a full adult,just to get all the hormones going properly,not just for the health issues but for the whole growing up hormone procedure that is going on in their bodies:cry:)
One can only live and learn I suppose:oops:

ambara

It's interesting, the different dog (and pet) keeping cultures. Here in Finland keeping a dog in a crate is considered animal cruelty and is against the law except for very short times like while traveling in a car. But we'd never do the way Americans etc. do, holding the dog in the crate whenever the human's aren't home or are sleeping or whatever. But in some countries it's normal and perfectly acceptable, not crating seems to be the wrong thing to do?

(Sorry Danimal for de-railing you thread and welcome! I understand Setter's can be quite high energy so draining that by teaching tricks is probably a good idea :D Looking forward to seeing pictures of her!)

Jukes

Hi and welcome to the forums:)
You'll find loads of very helpful videos and great advice for anything dog related - I hope it's useful to you:D

English setters are one of my favourite dog breeds - even though I've never had one - I just love their colours and faces - I really can't wait for some pictures - what colour is she?

Danimal

I have never crate trained a dog before. I definitely see the benefits. Although there shouldn't be much time shell be alone. as far as sleeping at night, my dogs have always slept with me. Previous dogs just found some nook or cranny in the house and made it their space. But especially as a puppy i think it is good, because when my previous dog loved to chew and when she was young we lost a lot of chargers...

Yes I have been reading about them being high energy outdoors, so i am making sure to find activities. Other than that shell just be getting spoiled and loved on.

She is white and tan with blue/green eyes.
I see you have an australian shepard, i saw a couple of those and honestly wanted one theyre so pretty! and i have a friend who has one and shes so lovey dovey which i really like. But when I played with Clover she was friendly and full of kisses.