New Pup On The Block

winstonthedog

Hi,

We are the owners of Winston, a 5 month old Border Terrier. He is a wonderful dog and quite smart so I am really keen to teach him some tricks. He basically has sit, down, stay, paw and crate down pat. We just taught him 'touch' and are trying to teach him to touch bells hanging on the door to get out, he has been doing it a few times today and we are so proud!

I'm really looking forward to hearing about the neat things other pups do and how they were taught to do them.

Thanks!

sara

Staff member
AWE Border Terriers are my second most favorite breed! (behind the Irish terrier;) )they are so adorable, and yours is too! Welcome to the DTA!

One of the things I've found with terriers it they do so well with positive training, but tend to ignore you and be jerks if there's any corrections involved. Their feelings aren't hurt or anything, they just decide you're an arse and dont listen anymore :rolleyes:. There are trainers out there who dont like terriers, and wont put in any effort to work with them, they just say "Oh it's a Terrier, that's the way they are". But any Terrier lover, knows that they are very smart, and once motivated, they can do as much as any Border Collie! LOL Their "what's in it for me?" attitude is one of the things that endear me to the breeds. Although Borders are not known to be as extreme as some terrier breeds. (y)

I have an Irish Terrier x Lab (I think), who's also incredibly smart and eager to learn. He has issues (related to breed and having been a street dog) and another deaf Terrier x of some sort (supposed to be a Terrier x Bichon, but I dont see the bichon!) who have both been incredible to train! There aren't many terrier owners on here, but those that are are AWESOME!:D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!!

WHAT an adorable dog!!
Sounds like you have a very smart puppy indeed!!
If you have any questions about tricks training, feel free to post them!! Hope to see you and that super cute dog around here regularly!!

winstonthedog

@Dogster
We are originally from Ontario but moved to London England 6 years ago. My parents came to visit and thought it was important that Winston knew where his family is from :) Are you a fellow Ontarian?