New Member (chihuahua)

ilovemydog

Hello everyone,
I just joined this forum. My name is nicky and I have a 6 month old female chihuahua named PRINCESS!! I already started clicker training with her. Princess knows sit, lay down, shake, high five, bow, a bit of turn around, BANG lay dead but does it only on the bed. She still need work with them but doing better. she also does a bit stay. Still learning... At the moment im trying to potty train her OUTDOORS. She was on pee pads but that turn out to be a maddness. she would pee on the pads (SOMETIMES) and never poop. So i was told to DITCH the pads and go out. She doing better but still a few mistakes. She hates the snow. In the beg i woudl not crate her but after taking her pads away and do a fresh start i started to crate her at nights.
Hopefully she will learn. I was told that chi are harder to potty train. Right now i want to start and TARGET with her. So she can learn the RING THE BELLS and that will be easy for me and i will know she wants to go out. So if anyone knows and tip on this please let me know.
I know there is 2 kinds of TARGETS that is PAW and NOSE. but i would like to know more how what the cue to each one is and how to train them.
Hoping to make new friends and learn something new :)

nicky and princess..:dogtongue2:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Nicky and Princess! Welcome to the DTA! Sorry for the late reply, it's very busy over here! :) Did you mean ring bell as in ring the bell to go outside? A friend of mine taught this to their dog and they had to take the bell off since the dog was constantly wanting to go outside and ringing the bell, LOL!
But it's very easy to train, all you have to do is mount it low enough so that the bell is about eye-level of your dog, and just click & treat every time he touches it. Eventually your criteria should get stricter and only reward for making a noise, but you get the idea. :)

sara

Staff member
I taught Oliver to ring bells to go out. I taught him to target (with nose) and touch (with paw) wich were very simple concepts for him. Then I started asking him to target or touch and would click then go out immediately... it took him 3 times before he got the concept... then I took the bells away, as anytime I wasn't playing with him, or his doggie friends were outside, he asked out! LOL