Never Going On A Jog Without Treats Again

southerngirl

Honored Member
On walks I always bring treats, but on jogs I don't bring them because I wear gym shorts that don't have pockets. Yesterday while I was jogging I was about to go onto the other street. My neighbor was walking his 4 little dogs who were off leash so I just jogged the street I just had again. Missy looked at them, but turned around without protest and only looked back once. After doubling up on the one street I went to go down the other one. One of my neighbors dogs was following a good bit behind, luckily Missy didn't notice. Problem I had to turn around and pass Doby(the dog). I switched Missy to my right side so that I would be between the dogs. I took a deep breathe telling myself it's no big deal. Missy did pretty good, she did stare at him a few times. When she did I would say her name or make a kissy noise to get her attention and she would look forward. When we passed she did turn around and tried to go back, I just keep saying "let's go" she did just a bit reluctantly. I did have to block her with my leg once to keep her from turning around. I am proud of her cause she used to go crazy lunging barking hackles up. So for now on I'm going to put Just her treats and clicker in her back pack(I don't want her getting tuckered out before we finished jogging, I usually only use her pack for walks.) That way I don't have to worry about carrying the treats. Lesson learned

MaryK

Honored Member
Fantastic that Missy was SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!(y):D(y) That's awesome that she responded, without treats/clicker, just to your verbal commands. Love the Kissy noises:love:

But can feel for you too, must have been a bit heart stopping there, kudos to you for taking a deep breathe and the brave approach!(y):D But would definitely have some treats with me in future.

Way to go Missy and Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you MaryK. I'm definitely bringing clicker and treats for now on. I'm going to have Missy wear her backpack(which I have finished, posting pics 2morrow) with Only the treats and clicker, like I said in my post I don't want her tuckered out before we finish jogging so treats, clicker and nothing else. I used to totally freak out when I saw another dog my heart would start racing and I had a bazillion thoughts running through my mind of what could go wrong. Now I just take a deep breath tell my self to stay chill and I'm good.

MaryK

Honored Member
Cannot wait to see the pics of Missy's back pack:) . Good idea to just take treats and the clicker. There's barely any weight at all in them, so she won't notice the 'weight' , as you're so right, don't won't her tuckered out. She wouldn't enjoy going again, neither would she want to wear her back pack again either.

I know just how you used to feel. After the dog attack on Rakins, I didn't even go out for two days. Then when I did and found he was mentally traumatized, would have the same heart racing, bazillion thoughts happening if a dog barked and if we saw one - almost needed cpr!. After his over reaction/tantrum, I was shaking again and even after starting with the click/treat training, still had to take that deep breath the first few times we did up and down the immediate houses on our street.

Isn't it wonderful when we realize our dogs are responding so well!:) Now I LOVE walking him again and look forward, instead of that awful 'will anything else happen' feeling, to our walks.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Aww, I'm so glad Missy was so good on your walk/run. It's such a good feeling, isn't it? It really is a good idea to have something with you. I know I get lax sometimes when I take Alf out by himself, as he's always so good, altho I'd never dream of taking Makena out without treats. Yet if something happens like what happened to you, I know I'd surely want to treat mine and tell them how fabulous they were and/or just feedfeedfeed them (well, Makena) if we got near a barking dog, just to get us past. Treats are also good to have in case a strange dog approaches - they're good to toss away to distract in case you have to make a fast getaway. :eek:

Can't wait to see the finished backpack, I bet it's "doggone cute"! :D :LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
Treats are also good to have in case a strange dog approaches - they're good to toss away to distract in case you have to make a fast getaway. :eek:
That's a brilliant one to remember Jackie, toss away treats if you have to make a fast getaway.:eek:(y)

Isn't it lovely reading about Missy and other dogs who are becoming 'model citizens' I just love that:love:Makena included of course and Alf, he's a true Gentledog:love: