Never Forget.

sara

Staff member
Remembrance Day is a holiday here in Canada (for those of you who aren't Canadian) This is a poem a friend of mine posted, I thought it was very moving. My Sister fought in Afghanistan and lost several friends during her tour and in other tours...

Never forget.

Why Wear a Poppy Poem by Don Crawford

“Please wear a Poppy”, the lady said and
held one forth, but I shook my head, Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;
But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.
A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet,
His smile was full of joy and fun:
“Lady”, said he, “May I have one”?
When she pinned it on he turned to say,
“Why do we wear a poppy today”?

The lady smiled in her wistful way,
And answered, “This is Remembrance Day,
And the poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in war,
And because they did, you and I are free,
That’s why we wear the poppy, you see”.

I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about.
As the years went by he learned and grew,
And became a man – as you will, too.
But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight,
(I can see it still in my dreams at night)
With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire, and the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

“Till at last, at last, the war was won –
And that’s why we wear a poppy, son.”
The small boy turned as if to go,
Then said, “Thanks lady, I’m glad to know,
That sure did sound like an awful fight,
But your son – did he come back all right?”

A tear rolled down each faded cheek:
She shook her head but didn’t speak.
I slunk away in a sort of shame,
And if you were me you’d have done the same:
For our thanks, in giving, is often delayed
Through our freedom was bought
And thousands paid.

And so when we see a poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne,
By those who gave their very all,
When asked to answer their country’s call.
That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a poppy,

Remember

And give.

running_dog

Honored Member
It is Remembrance Day here in England too but most commemorations are on Remembrance Sunday I guess that is more convenient but our soldiers did not and do not choose a "convenient" day to fight, nor a "convenient" day to die.

I do remember them.

sara

Staff member
It's a Stat Holiday here for us. So it's always convenient to go to the ceremonies, tho few do. I cant go this year, as much as I'd like to, I worked way too late last night, so I'll have to make do with a wake up then 2 mins of silence at 11 am.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Thank you, Sara,
from a vet. (me).

Americans wear poppies on Memorial Day,(May) more so in the past than nowadays. It's also same weekend they bloom here in US. In USA, on Memorial Day, we tend to remember the fallen, and graves are visited and put flags on them, etc. Parades and memorial gatherings, speeches, etc.

Now is Veteran's Day here in US, on 11-11-11, for US, this day has slightly more focus on living vets, for USA.

running_dog

Honored Member
I think the war in Afghanistan and the anti-poppy/anti-armedforces demonstrations of some people have helped many English people to remember to remember. There was no official ceremony today but over 100 people gathered at the town war memorial this morning (it was 11 am 6 hours ago over here).

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i had no idea there ever was an anti-poppy thing. There was?
but, like i said above, in USA,
poppies are more about
Memorial Day
than Veterans Day,
(in USA anyway).

In USA, *this* time, the citizens got it right----- those opposed to the wars, did NOT protest or criticize the soldiers.
(unlike Vietnam vets, who came home to be pelted with eggs:notworthy:).

This time, USA got it right, even if one is against the wars,
they STILL honor the military and soldiers.
I haven't heard any anti-military or anti-soldier stuff here, not during THESE wars.
Other wars, YES, but not these wars.
which
is
good.

they finallly learned, (in US anyway) support the troops. Think or say what you want about the war,
but
DO
support the TROOPS themselves, cuz it is a hard thing to do, for both the troops, and for their families back home. The troops do their best, give it their all, and the troops do not decide which countries to invade or why, they are the soldiers, donating years of their lives, or sometimes their life itself,
in service to their country.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
this ad chokes me up.
When you are military, you always had to travel in uniform,
and this was cool ad.

we don't have any anti-soldier thing THIS TIME...
not THIS war, USA has finally learned,
SEPARATE out the feelings about a war,
and support the troops no matter what.

http://youtu.be/_DcjLePDHyU

running_dog

Honored Member
A particular organisation in the UK planned to burn poppies today and bring loud hailers to a London 2 minutes silence, last year these people were PROTECTED by our police and allowed to desecrate the silence, this year freedom of speech/expression went out of the window and they were banned. Many shops and places of work have tried to ban employees wearing poppies (in case of "causing offence"). I think it has actually been counter productive for them because people who wouldn't have worn a poppy still think it is WRONG to actively disrespect such a symbol.

Be vigilant, in a few years America will be fighting the same battle of the political correctness of poppy wearing/burning.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
nah, i don't think so. Not in USA.

America already tortured an entire generation of veterans, by screaming at kids who were drafted to the other side of the world when they got home...acting as if those young young soldiers were war criminals and all that......they were not much more than kids, really. Was brutal, the homecoming those vets got. shiver. was a darn shame.

......................those Vietnam vets were not treated the way vets today are...even to this day, there are many many Vietnam vets with mental health issues, some say the way these very very young young ppl were treated upon return added to their traumas to sort out when they got home.
USA is pretty aware of this mistake...but, then again,

if mistakes ARE forgotten, then they can be repeated....but i hope never again will soldiers be mistreated like that ever again.

BIG turnaround from then---------- to our current attitude towards soldiers and vets.
A complete 180.
Over here, in USA, Even the staunchest anti-war leaders support the troops themselves.
we learned to respect our vets the hard way already,
and a lot of kids suffered way back when before we got it right.
Ppl wear flags, religious symbols, whatever they want over here. Schools for kids have some rules, as do some workplaces, but mostly, we are free to say whatever over here.
I have zero complaint about most forms of political correctness, almost all of it is aokay with me. I love respect and manners.
I loathe rude ppl, ppl who use cruel words, etc. No call for that nonsense, especially not from grown ups. Ppl are free to say whatever they want,
but,
if they go calling names,
well, there usually IS fallout from such immature behavior.
STill, all freedoms are intact.
If you want to go to your job, and spew horrible names all over the place, you ARE free to do so!
but, yeah,
there might be some backlash to name calling behavior,
you might get fired if your position commands a higher form of debate than name calling.
but, you're still 100% free to do so!
( i don't mean you,:ROFLMAO: I mean you in general term, not "you"!)

there CAN be consequences to acting poorly, just like there was on the playground.
.........is not a new concept.
PC is merely a form of manners. PC has been given a bad rap------------ any EXXXXTREME or ridiculous example, by some whacko,------ that no one else even hears about,O_o
*IS*
given air time 24/7,
to help make all of PC *seem* weird,
when it's just a form of respect, politeness and manners. Like our parents had every day...like we had as kids. ..... Is all it is, plain ol fashioned respect.

Over here in US, poppies only means you support the troops/remember the trooops...... Maybe poppies means something else over in UK, (not sure.)

fly30

Experienced Member
Nice idea Tigerlily. I recently saw a tv report where a French soldier had his dog made prisoneer. He thought he had lost him forever, but the dog was freed and came back. This dog is now retired but the soldier decided to keep him as he can't let him go away from him once more. Very hard but nice story.

running_dog

Honored Member
Tigerlily - Please don't try and make excuses for poppy burners. Wearing a poppy in the UK is about remembering the sacrifice that soldiers have made for us in the First World war and all wars since. Proceeds of the poppy appeal go to the Royal British Legion a charity supporting servicemen and servicewomen and their families. Those who burn poppies disrespect our soldiers and the sacrifice they make and it is an abuse of our freedoms to burn poppies.

When I was in the States during the summer I was impressed at the respect that veterans are given. It is not like that in the UK. Soldiers rarely travel in uniform as decades of terrorist conflict have taught us that it makes them easy targets.
I'm not even going to debate the other aspects, you have your opinion and I have mine. But in the words of one of your own presidents, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Tigerlily - Please don't try and make excuses for poppy burners."//

Lol, i do not even know what "poppy burners" are, or even means, i have never heard of this, "poppy burners" no idea such a thing existed.
so i am certainly not making excuses for ppl who do not support the troops.
for about 3rd time, i think most ppl in USA
can now separate their feelings about a WAR,
vs
their feelings about the soldiers, to support the soldiers.
AT LEAST in USA, we finally got to that realization.
I am all about support the soldiers! I used to BE ONE!! My family has many vets, long line here.
We do believe in service to one's country. VERY MUCH.
i don't think i've made any 'excuse' for poppy burners. (?)I don't know what they are/who they are.:ROFLMAO: I merely made a remark about Political Correctness.
is JUST a form of manners for the most part, and does get a bad rap whenever a whacko pops up. Has nothing to do with poppy burners, so far as i know, but, i don't know what poppy burners is, we don't have that over here.
RECENTLY,
very very RECENTLY,
USA has learned to honor the troops....to separate out oppostion to the WAR, can still support the troops.

Maybe you read my words wrong, no idea why you think i am supporting ppl who do NOT support the troops,(?)
truly baffled how you got that outa my words. I will have to reread it myself,
maybe i posted a typo!! ??

I AM a vet. I'm all for supporting the troops!! We DO agree!

running_dog

Honored Member
By poppy burners I simply meant people who gather on Remembrance day to publicly burn poppies as a deliberate mark of disrespect. I maybe misunderstood what you were saying but it seemed that you were suggesting that poppies could mean something different in the UK and therefore there might be some excuse for people to hate such a symbol.

I never thought you didn't support the troops Tigerlily. I do know that veterans are respected in the US and I hope that it stays that way.

I do respectfully submit that political correctness as applied in the UK that prevents people wearing poppies because they may cause offence to those who oppose the war in Afghanistan is at best misguided and has little to do with good manners. However there is little to be gained from discussing this on here and I merely stated my case again because you stated yours, so with 2 posts each on the subject can we call the discussion finished? I really didn't intend to sidetrack this thread into something negative.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, see, poppies are not offensive in USA, at all, no idea what you are talking about, at all.

I only said i doubt in USA we'd have to worry about that happening here, unless we DO forget lessons we already learned the hard way, to support the troops.

If ppl there "poppy burners" are acting poorly,(?)
there will be backlash, in one form or anoher,
just like there is on a school yard.
They will be looked down upon, or criticized, or ostracized, for breaking rules of manners, if they are acting poorly or calling names or whatever it is they are doing over there. Sorry for you about that.

Political correctness IS about manners. If ppl have bad manners, they are free to have bad manners, but, there's usually a price to pay for acting cruel.
In USA, the Klu Klux Klan still has rallies. :mad: They are free to do so. Everyone is appalled, :eek:and horrified,:mad:

but that is the price of the freedom,

is having to suffer the obscenely stupid also have right to free speech....sigh.
and the majority --- who oppose the KKK, far far outnumber them, the KKK are small group of whackos,
and we march whenever they do,
to show them, they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy outnumbered, wrong and twisted.
To stand up against a wrong.
To show our kids what is worth standing up for.
to represent, for our community, that we aren't having that hatred accepted silently.

"All evil needs to persist, is good men do nothing".

The sheer size of our group intimidates the KKK, lol!:D

The KKK are being politically incorrect, (as well as obsceely stupid and horrible)
and we let them know it.
evvvvvvvverytime.
WE have freedoms too!!

we protested, we wrote letters and had rallies, and eventually got the mayor
to stop using our tax dollars to pay for police
to keep the peace "protect them",
and doncha know,
AFTER THAT,
the KKK stopped having public rallies then. GOOD! they KNOW that being politically incorrect comes at a price...
KKK did NOT show up the next year. yay!!! WE WIN!

everyone is free to say whatever here in USA.
everyone. Stupid ppl miight pay a price,
from being rejected,
criticized,
to being fired----if one reeeally breaks political correctness,
but eveyrone IS "free" to be stupid,
if they don't mind to pay the price of their own bad behavior.

all actions have a consequence, sooner or later.

THAT is freedom.
costs a bit, but, i wouldn't have it any other way.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
btw. RDog, i like you a lot, YOU are one of my alltime favorite ppl here,
your great sense of humor
and good insight into dogs, love it!

i think we DO agree anyway.
and
even if we don't understand each other's countries current attitudes,
so what?
*i* don't think ppl have to agree on every lil thing.

>HUGS<