Need A Little Help On "beg"

ohSNAPCAKES

or "sit pretty" or whatever you wanna call it. since Atlas is deaf, his signal is just putting your hands together like you're praying. :ROFLMAO:

anyway. I can get him to put his paws in the air, but I can't seem to get him to keep them up. usually, he'll just throw his paws up really quickly. how do I get him to keep them up until he's released? I've tried holding the treat like I did in the beginning, but holding it longer before clicking, but that doesn't seem to be registering with him. any ideas?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ah, i had same problem, my dog speeds up all tricks about a week after he learns them, to ZOOM speed, :ROFLMAO: so his "beg" (cue: "Buddy, do you wanna girlfriend?") was now a flash warp speed 'up and down' of his front paws..... :rolleyes:

my dog does know the meaning of the word "wait...wait..." (i use that one for in/out of cars or doors, it's NOT the same as "stay"......not at my house. ;) "Wait" is just a brief pause,
and 'stay' is kinda permanent-ish...as in "you will be there a while.") I can sometimes add in the word "wait" on some tricks, to slow him down a bit.

so what i did was, i sort of held his arms up a lil while, saying "wait....wait.." and praised him for holding the pose, even though i was helping him.:rolleyes: i think i even had Buddy in a corner for a while....to help him learn how to balance in that position.

then overtime, i faded my arm that his paws were resting on,

and continued with the verbal "wait...wait..."

and praising him while he posed like that, "gooood boy, wait....wait....good boy, wait..."
and somehow, my dog did get the idea, he was supposed to HOLD the pose for a lil while.:rolleyes:

this might not help your dog. but i understand about zoom speed dogs...

stand by, someone else will be along with a better idea!!!:ROFLMAO:

ohSNAPCAKES

:ROFLMAO: he DOES have a "wait" hand signal, it's usually for before breakfast or when he's let off lead. I used it when teaching him "play dead," and he got the idea to wait in that position until released. I actually tried what you're explaining with "beg," but when as I faded my arm, he would just go back to lightning speed! :LOL:

Anneke

Honored Member
Sometimes dogs have a problem keeping their balance. This MIGHT be the case for your dog.
I started teaching Cooper to sit up against my legs. He has a long back so it's harder for him to hold this position.
Have him sit in front of you, his back towards you. Position yourself so that when he sits up, his back will touch your knees. You might have to bend your knees a little to meet him. That way he has a little support in his back. They find it a little strange at first, but they get used to it. When he can hold the position leaning against your knees, you can start fading your support.
And you can turn it into a nice trick. I make Cooper do a peek a boo(come between my legs from behind) then a sit(still between my legs, well a little bit in front) and then do a sit up;)

Dogster

Honored Member
To improve beg for Carmel (Dogcrazy's dog) Dogcrazy improved her stomach muscles. She was the able to hold beg for a longer time. I don't know if it works, haven't taught Shivon a long beg yet.:D

sara

Staff member
I used a target stick for Oliver to learn this. Basically, I first taught him to touch the target stick, then I started moving the target stick around him and asking for touch. when I put it above his head, he'd stretch his neck out, then eventually rose off his front feet. He's not the patient sort, so I started asking for multiple touches, so he held the position longer, then faded the stick. He will hold the position now for 5 ot 10 seconds, and we keep slowly working on longer begs. He tries to hold it as long as my hand is in position (flat with palm up over head) yes he's a hearing dog, but I'm so used to my deafies, I use handsignals way too much! LOL

ohSNAPCAKES

a target stick! why didn't I think of that? :ROFLMAO: see, that's why I asked. :p

LOL, Sara, I'm the same way! when I'm working with my mom's dog, I always use hand signals, and then I hear my mom say "so when are you gonna add a cue?" and at first, I'm like "I already did!" and then I realize I only added a hand signal. :LOL:

sara

Staff member
Deaf dogs are easier in some ways to train, imo. less steps! you never have to fade the handsignal for a verbal only cue! LOL

sara

Staff member
They are, but in all formal training, verbal only is required. And if I want to do Canine Freestyle with Oliver, we'll need verbal only cues.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
True, if you want to compete, you need verbal only. My dog responds better to verbal signals though.