Nail Trimming Without A Clipper

fickla

Experienced Member
I stumbled upon an idea to train a dog to file their own nails! Purchase some anti-slip tape (kinda like sandpaper) and attach it to a small board. From there, it was very easy to train my 2 dogs to file their own front nails down on the board! I am working on back feet, but so far I have only managed to train back feed "marching" on the board rather than any actual scratches. My dogs never scratch with their back feet after pooping either so I can't capture it. But at least their back nails grow much slower than the front!
Here is my blog post on the idea and results:
http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com/2012/11/do-it-yourself-nail-trims.html

MaryK

Honored Member
Both my dog's nails stay short but that's a good idea to keep in mind:) . I'll sure pass it on to people who do have problems with nail clipping. Just popped over to your blog, great pictures they really help(y)

Dogster

Honored Member
Both my dog's nails stay short but that's a good idea to keep in mind:) .
LUCKY!!!!:p I have to file Shivon's nails with my mom, one of us holds her, the other files her nails, lol. :rolleyes:

Very good idea!!! I will have to teach it to Shivon.:) We have to file Shivon's nails after we cut them because her nails are really rough, and she can cut herself since she doesn't have a lot of fur.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I saw this suggestion someplace else, too, and thought it was brilliant! Great video!

Laura, I love the new photo - Lance and Vito look fabulous!! BUT - who's the little black newcomer??? :LOL: You're holding out on us!! Speak!! :D

fickla

Experienced Member
I saw this suggestion someplace else, too, and thought it was brilliant! Great video!

Laura, I love the new photo - Lance and Vito look fabulous!! BUT - who's the little black newcomer??? :LOL: You're holding out on us!! Speak!! :D
Oh that's just Bubba. I puppy raise for the local service dog organization so have had a variety of "3rd" dogs over the past few years. The schipperke is the latest foster. I have no plans of actually owning one; still want another toller!

blacknym

Experienced Member
I made one of these today! I think this will be the end off nail trim woes. :) here is a video of our first try. I think she was a little confused because I usually don't let her scratch at things. Lol

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I think this would really work for Brody. His front nails were so nice and short when we got him two months ago, but they have really grown quickly. He will not let me get near him with a clipper or pedipaws, but he really likes to use his paws a lot for playing with things. He actually curls his toes around things, like a cat does, and pulls them toward himself. I actually got him to scratch on our Emery Cat that our cats never used. He took to it really quickly, but it couldn't stand up to his nails and was shredded in no time.

marsala

I stumbled upon an idea to train a dog to file their own nails! Purchase some anti-slip tape (kinda like sandpaper) and attach it to a small board. From there, it was very easy to train my 2 dogs to file their own front nails down on the board! I am working on back feet, but so far I have only managed to train back feed "marching" on the board rather than any actual scratches. My dogs never scratch with their back feet after pooping either so I can't capture it. But at least their back nails grow much slower than the front!
Here is my blog post on the idea and results:
http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com/2012/11/do-it-yourself-nail-trims.html

Wow, this is amazing trick, thank you so much for sharing. Now that I have seen it I wonder how this has not been thought before as this is exactly the same than with cats :D Now all I need is to teach that command to my puppies and build that board and voila, we are finally over with the whole cutting nails drama :ROFLMAO:

passion4pups

This is Awesome!! Now to teach my dogs . . integrate it into puppy class . . and it'll just be a matter of time before this is the new Pedi-paw and a lot of groomers nail trim woes will disappear as well. You should patent and market that like the Emery cat fickla . . you'll be rich