My Newfoundland is a little bit strange.

landseer

Can anybody help me? First of all i'm so sorry for not being so present as i would like, but my job is keeping me so busy and tired!:dogsleep: Anyway let's go to the point: after having found out my Newfy was in what we call Histeric Pregnancy she is going to be strange. I gave her meds for stopping the milk but in her mood she is very strange. Especially in her food. That's why i can't begin with teaching her Jean's lessons. Everyday is going to be strange in different aspects and i don't know the reason. Hope someone can help me!
Landseer.:dogunsure:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
There isn't really a great deal you can do about hysterical (phantom) pregnancy in a dog. My knowledge of them is quite limited, but as I understand it, having her spayed can help, as well as it helping to prevent various diseases, including cancer.

I'm also led to believe that it can (but not always) become a regular thing whenever the bitch comes into season. Once the phantom pregnancy is completed, I would seriously look at getting her spayed, unless there is a very good reason not to. Though obviously, your vet would be the best person to take advice from in that area.

With regards to training, I don't think you're going to have much luck training her when her hormones are so erratic and she will be feeling 'out of sorts'. There really isn't a great deal you can do about it, that I am aware of anyway.

landseer

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess i'll make her have just one litter and then i'll make her have the surgery. I guess it's the rightest thing!
Thank You.
:-):dogmellow: