My dogs dont bark

V

vidlaura

Both dogs we have don't bark. It would be nice to have them bark if someone knocks at the door. Is there a way to teach a dog to bark? Every once in a while they bark but its not very often.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few members here on this board who has regretted training their dog to bark, since they won't stop barking now.

I'd suggest getting a doorbell instead. :)

leema

I wouldn't be complaining!!

But, I know when Mac was a puppy, we really encouraged him to bark when people were at the door. Perhaps if your dogs DO bark at someone at the door, you can make more of a fuss and see if this increases their barking?

bipa

Oh, my... I'm currently training my dogs to stop barking like crazy every time someone comes to our door or approaches our property! Quite the opposite situation!

You could start off simply by training your dogs to speak on command. Then once they are fairly consistent, you could incorporate knocking on the door as a cue.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
My dog never barks, only if she is really excited, but if she does bark, my mother's husband scolds her. He doesn't like if she barks. Don't ask why. :dogblink:

landseer

Hello my dear friends,
mine is only a reflection and not a solution. Well, Chantal barks and how thundering she is. A dog barks and this is a fact (have I discovered warm water?:-) ). I have often wondered if it should be something controlled or not. I mean, sometimes neighbours make me notice Chantal has a powerful voice. But they make that notice sweet by saying "Hey she is so clever, she calls you every time she's hungry!" and things like that. And I'm so amazed having all these Monty Roberts, Linda Tellingtons or Jan Fennells all next to my house. But, concerning Chantal, the fact is quite simple to solve: those dumb neighbours should stop themselves barking near our fence or stopping by it with their dogs to see both dogs' reaction. What I mean is that I don't want to go against their natural way of expressing. It is right they "express" their opinion in any way. There's only a thing I often wonder :WHY GOD CREATED NEIGHBOURS?