My dog spoiled me

tanis60617

Experienced Member
I have really taken a interest to dog training in the past year since I got my best bud Paisley.
I have decided I would like to pursue training further and work with other dogs and eventually start doing it as a side business, after sufficient experience and further training.
However I just started working with my neighbors dog and realized that not all dogs are quite as easy to train as Paisley is. Don't get me wrong the dog Sasha, a german shepard mix, is learning but it is 3 times the work as it was with Paisley. I guess mabey it wasn't my great training but rather a clever dog lol. Have any of you ever had to go through this.
I'm not discouraged or anything, like I said she is learning and progress is progess and you can't put a time frame on dog training. But I am just making conversation, while i'm recovering from our run. Now its trick training time.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
That is some of the things that you will notice as a trainer. Some dogs simply do not get the same stimulation that trained dogs do. Your dog will learn much quicker because she has already learned the game, and how to be successful.

Sadly, there are many dogs who are not stimulated, they are left alone all day as their owner goes to work. And if they are lucky, they might get a walk (but it is usually just a few minutes in the backyard). You can't expect a dog like that to perform to the same levels as a dog who is trained several times a day.

If you want, you could document your training with your neighbor's dog. Record your first few sessions and see what kind of responses you get, then in a few months repeat the same and watch the difference. :dogsmile:

*** Of course, it will take daily input for this to work, but you get the idea. ***

storm22

Experienced Member
yeah all dogs train differently, storm was soo fast at learing and he had to learn new things every few days as a pup or he would get bored but koda happily goes along, shes quite relaxed about training, she likes doing it but in more a relaxed nature,
i dont know which one a like to train better, mister always got be in the know and do things, or miss Yeah we can train if you like or we can sunbathe and cuddle

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Something that could really help you advance as a trainer would be to work with shelter dogs. Volunteer at a local shelter and get to work!! If you are at a novice level, try to find dogs with little to no behavior issues, if this is possible. There are a handful of these at every shelter. Work your way up, rather than delving into the dog-eating, possessive, highly distracted mutt right off. Don't be afraid to admit that you're not ready to take on the toughies, or the middle-of-the-roads. Stick to your abilities and you are sure to improve! Of course, the DTA is always here to help you along.
Find a trainer in your area who is willing to let you sit in on a class or two. Even though Paisley may know all the basics, attend an intermediate or advanced class. Learn other methods just so that you know them. Although Paisley may have seemed to be a piece of cake for you, Fido down the street may not care for those methods. If you encounter a completely toy-motivated Zeke-like dog, you may have to abandon your attempts at rewarding with food.

Utilize any preferences they may have rather than trying to change them. If the dog is distracted by sounds, get their attention back with a squeaker or a stupid voice or smooches. Look like an idiot! Who cares--the dog will be better trained for it. If the dog is distracted by movement, run away from them, entice them to chase you so they want to pay attention to you. Good luck to you, and don't forget to post on the forums anytime you have questions about whatever dogs you're training!

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I have only trained one dog yet, but it was very easy from the beginning, and becomes easier with every training session.
bUt one of my plans is that I would like to work at a dog shelter (the one I got Pami from), and work a little with other dogs. Maybe next summer! :)

tanis60617

Experienced Member
I hadn't really thought too much about volunteering at the shelter but as I think about it it sounds like a doubly benificial idea. Sasha is learning and we are having fun, she just learns different and I am definately having to adjust. It is kinda fun though to change up everything that you have been doing for a year. Thanks for all the support I'm going to stop by the shelter and talk to them tommorrow.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Great. ^^ It is definitely a good thing to do. For one, you advance as a trainer, and two, you're helping dogs get adopted! Again, carefully evaluate each dog and don't be afraid to admit that one of them may be too much for you. Unfortunately, sometimes the chances are that that dog will still be there by the time you're knowledgable enough to work with him. Most shelters are overjoyed to have new volunteers, especially ones willing to spend the time to train the dogs.