My dog is shocking!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic & Chit Chat' started by CollieMan, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. CollieMan Experienced Member

    No really, my dog IS shocking. It seems that lately whenever I stroke her, I get a static electric shock from her coat on the first touch. I've never had this before from any of my previous dogs. Anyone got any experience of it, and, more importantly, how do you get around it?

    Our trainer mentioned, in passing, that she bathed her dog in an anti-static shampoo. I struggle to see how that can have any prolonged effect. But, I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it for the purpose of not getting shocked each time they touch their dog!

    It's like she's training me with a shock collar! :)

  2. leema New Member

    At my high school, if you shuffled your feet along the floor and then touched someone on the shoulder, you could shock them. :D This is the most control I've ever had of static electricity, besides rubbing balloons on my hair.

    I have no idea why Ellie would be shocking. Perhaps she is so miserable that she drags her feet along the carpet? ;)

    On a more serious note, could her movement of changed so that she now is dragging herself along the carpet more? e.g. an injury?

    If you don't have carpet in your house, then I have no suggestions.
  3. CollieMan Experienced Member

    We have carpet in the house, but then we always have. It's only in the past couple of months that the shocks have really become an issue.

    Hmm. I don't think she's THAT miserable! :)
  4. luna may New Member

    Hehehe that sounds like fun! :LOL:

    Oooh, da mizrabel doogeh... (Where did that come from? :arf: I don't know! Hey, wait a sec, where did that come from??? :dogblink:)

    Seriousness... Hmmm, that'll be hard, but I'll get it over with :D

    Mabe she's trying to EEG in reverse and make telephatical contact! :rolleyes:
  5. Jean Cote Administrator

    Just tie a anti-static strip to the end of her tail and she'll be fine. :dogsmile:
  6. morgancherilyn Well-Known Member

    static electricity is always worse in wintertime, so that would explain why it wasn't an issue before. May sound crazy, but we have an aerosol can called static stop used to elminate static on clothes, and it works if you spray some on doggie brush, then brush coat. Won't last forever but will help!
  7. CollieMan Experienced Member

    lol Now that would be something!
  8. l_l_a New Member

    My dog gives me static shocks all the time. Colorado has a very dry climate, and my dog is very furry, so we often experience static shock year round but is especially bad in the winter. It gets especially bad in the car because he rubs up against the cloth upholstery in the back seat. Often when he takes a treat from me when we're in the car I swear I can see the arc from his nose to my hand! Or sometimes he will come over and give me a kiss on the cheek - again, ZAP! It happens so often (almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day), we shock each other so often that it doesn't faze either me or the dog, so I don't do anything about it, it's not a big deal since we're so used to it. Sorry I don't think that helps does it?

    you could put a humidifier in your house to lessen the chances of static buildup in general. We have done that in our lab (I work in a research lab) because static can destroy sensitive electronics so it does make a difference. I don't know about those shampoos, I've not used them and I don't know anyone who has....or, you can use a grounding wire on either you or your dog! :)
  9. emmasmamma Guest

    You've mentioned in another post that you have had rather cold weather but no snow. That would indicate low humidity, which increases static. A humidifier would help. Another short term solution would be if you have the fabric softener sheets for the dryer in the UK. Take one of them and rub it over Ellie's fur. It'll reduce the static on her fur like it does for the laundry.
  10. storm22 Experienced Member

    it could be her getting her winter coat storm quite often shocks me when he starts to get his but not as bad as the horses, sky and blaze (the worst for it), it seems everytime you touch them at the moment you and the horse both get a shock (thats hard trying to explain to a horse that you didnt mean to shock them as they know what an electric tape is, now they face their buts to you when you approach their yards lolz)

    so it could just be her getting her new coat she might get ya when she looses it in spring too
  11. CollieMan Experienced Member

    So, if I'm reading correctly...

    1. Put her in the tumble-dryer with an anti-static sheet. :)

    or

    2. Attach a grounding cable to her tail. :)

    or

    3. Get a humidifier.

    The latter seems the best option. Here's hoping for a shock-free life! I do feel like I'm being shock-collar trained. ZAP - Don't stroke me there. ZAP - Or there! ZAP....

Share This Page

 
 
 
Real Time Analytics