My Accident Prone Pooch

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
For those of you who have been here a while, you may know that little Mudflap has had quite a few interesting run-ins. Numerous attacks by the neighbor's dog, resulting in a very torn up leg, a split nose.... A spider bite resulting in an allergic reaction and a very puffy face. I know I'm missing something....anyway, while the boys rarely ever get injured or into anything, Mud's just accident prone. I've barely had her a year, but already she's become a regular at my vet's office. Lol. Poor girl.

So two days ago, I come home from work and she was just barely favoring her back left leg. Hardly even noticeable. My first thought was perhaps a strain or just a little soreness from rough play perhaps. No visible wounds, not tender...so I just decided to keep an eye on it. Yesterday, she was worse. Tip-toeing on that leg but still putting some weight on it, and tender at the lower leg near the back of the leg by her paw pads. Closer inspection revealed nothing.... Still wondering if it was just a strain, I gave her a good all-over body massage, paying special attention to that leg and her back. Today I wake up and let her out and she's not putting weight on it at all. (Being a workoholic Border Collie, she will ignore her discomfort if she's running around doing something important.) So I've curbed her activity and am keeping an eye on her... Lately she has been a bit down, and although she's been enjoying her training, she's unusually mellow...in a not good way. She's happy, but just not herself.

I'm staying calm and not overreacting. It's probably something very minor. Of course, it could be a variety of things but I'm not making any assumptions. There's no swelling, no cuts, no abrasions, no major breaks that I could feel. No ripped out nails or unusually short one, nothing embedded in the paw pads. I've been using paw pad conditioner on her pads because they get so dry and crack easily, and they've been looking much better so no problems there. If she doesn't improve, we'll be making a vet visit Monday; much sooner if necessary. My poor Mudflap. I'm worried of course but trying not to overanalyze it. -sigh- Wish us luck.

snooks

Experienced Member
awww poor Mud, bless her little heart... I'll x fingers for you that it's just a sprain or strain that will heal with a little rest. when a dog esp a bc takes weight off the leg i can sure see where that would concern you a lot. did she have any vaccinations lately?? sometimes a severe reaction can show up a couple of weeks later. my puppy's first rabies made a huge knot that didn't pop up until a 2 weeks later. scared me to death thinking she tore something. my two and i sent pawsitive thoughts.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, yes with BCs you usually have to keep an eye on them as they usually ignore any pain they have and continue on, being the workoholics they are. But with her not putting any weight at all, I was concerned...we haven't been abnormally active and she hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. Our exercise regimen hasn't changed a bit(well, until now). Today she seems better. She's still limping but putting weight on it until she overdoes it, which I curb as much as possible. It's probably just a strain.

Her vaccs were given 2-3 months ago, so no worries there. Her personality is entirely normal now, which is both good and bad since I have to slow her down even more now. ^^

A friend of mine jokingly said I need to just quarantine her. ^^ Get dog litter boxes or those grass pad things and make her just an inside dog so that maybe she doesn't get hurt so much. :doglaugh: Oddly enough I think she'd still find a way to visit the vet! Lol. She is getting a bit spoiled though due to this, so I wouldn't be surprised if she milks it for all its worth. Extra massaging and such every day to help with any muscle pain she may or may not have... Silly Mudflap. :dogrolleyes:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
It was only bothering her when she overdid it, so I gave her the weekend to make sure she hadn't just pulled something. Today and last night she was fine with no limping or tenderness. I've been checking her everyday for any soreness or abnormalities, and starting mid-afternoon/evening yesterday she wasn't sore at all. This morning there was no limping, so I'm assuming she's okay now but still keeping a close eye on her and still not letting her overdue it. She's doing well so far. :)

And I was giving her canine aspirin as needed(one those two days). Not that that's the best solution, but it did ease her pain.