munch munch munch

splitz831

CHEWING!! It's driving my husband and I crazy! I know our bernese mountain dog is only 4 months old (almost five) but seriously the chewing of paper and cardboard must stop! Does anyone have any ideas. We already have kongs filled with treats all the time this rolly ball thing that drops treats if you roll it the right way, bones, ropes, plush toys hard toys..everything in his pen and ALL OVER the house...but still as soon as he finds paper he's on it like white on rice! We have two boston terriers as well but never had these problems. Although they are will willing eat the cardboard he tears up, they don't start the tearing, maybe they are putting him up to it, lol.

As a big dog it is getting to the point that something really needs to be done since he can now reach every table in the house when he stands up. he's already destroyed my favourite book (while I was getting treats to boot, lol...he didn't get those treats). Any suggestions other then more toys?

heidib860

lol's splitz831

I can relate to your problem I have my own, Max; who's a three month old Golden Retriever. He's crazy about paper towels and for life of me I can't find where he keeps getting them from, leaves little pieces of them all over. I keep reminding myself that he'll soon grow out of this stage and I'll miss how cute and small that he was at this stage. Then I start picking up the little pieces...

For toys Max seemed to prefer his rope bone when we first brought him home. He then seemed to move on to his stuffed soccer ball. He then picked out a tennis ball with fleece tassels at our first trip to Petco. But like you we have tons of toys strewn through out the house. He seems to get a new toy every week or so and that keeps his interest for a while. Right now his favorite seems to be three rings connected together made of a fabric (not sure what type) and the rings are stuffed. I keep trying new types as to hopefully keep his interest. Pretty soon I am going to have to do what my mother did and start rotating toys every month or so.

Anything to save my dinning room chairs.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Have you taught him "Leave it" yet? I would encourage that you do. If you have, at any sign of interest in an unacceptable chew toy, give him this command. If you haven't, you should. Sounds like you'll need it a lot!
For now, I would give a sharp "Ah-ah!" when you catch him going after paper, cardboard, etc. He should stop and look at you, and when he does, praise him and encourage play with an acceptable toy. I would suggest keeping all things of sentimental or financial value be put in a separate room or closet. =) I would also suggest more exercise. Good luck!

leema

I don't have a "leave it" command... In our house, "If I didn't give it to you then it's not yours and you can't touch it."
I got no idea how I taught Mac this. :D But with Clover, I have used Sue Ailsby's zen in her training levels. Have a look and try implementing the strategies and see if you see an improvement.

storm22

Experienced Member
the 'leave it' command is good ive taught this to koda and 'drop it' shes learnt these slowly as paper seems to be soo much fun (toilet paper is the best)

but just hang in there they do eventually learn it

heidib860

storm22,

lol's about the toilet paper, reminds me of my mothers cats whenever they do something they don't like they go after the tiolet paper and shred it on the roll.

I never notice it until it's usually too late. Definately sends a message. lol's

hockey390

My advice here would be to just try as hard as you can to never let the dog out of your sight.. I know it is hard, but if you can catch the dog about to commit to chewing and can prevent it, you are teaching them not to chew those items. On the other hand, every time the dog gets a hold of something it shouldn't have, it will feel it is ok since it is doing it. And of course, shredding a piece of paper is way more fun than chewing on a ball... Who wouldn't want to shred an item up versus not seeing any destruction!?!

bipa

Oh, I remember those days! Here's Joey just a day after he arrived. Somehow he managed to get hold of a roll of paper towels and decided to decorate his new pillow.

I started off first by managing the problem and being very careful not to leave anything within reach. Then we proceeded with training "leave it". When he started attempting to counter surf in the kitchen, I booby trapped the counters by balancing plastic cups right on the edge. As soon as he'd get up on his hind legs to nose around the counter, he'd inevitably nudge one of the cups and it would fall, making a loud rattle. He quickly learned not to do that anymore. I did something similar with paper towels, leaving one on the coffee table, but soaked it first with Bitter Apple. After one or two attempts, he stopped trying to take anything off the coffee table, and we can now leave newspapers and books around without worrying about him taking anything.

I've already mentioned my newest chewing problem - doggie beds and blankets. I'm not sure how I'm going to solve this one except by keeping an eye on them. I don't want to teach them to stop using their beds, so "leave it" or spraying with Bitter Apple isn't an option. Oh, well.....

leema

Clover likes to chew the edges of her blanket,s but I'm in a similar bind. I want the dogs to have beds, still! Especially Mac, who is older. I'm hoping once all her teeth are in place that this stops.

The only thing Clover grabs otherwise that aren't hers are socks! I think it's because my wonderful partner likes to takes his socks off in the lounge room, and that is pretty much where our toys live. So amongst all our toys is the odd sock. And I think Clover, more so when she is excited and just NEEDS a toy, just grabs whatever is available. :p

splitz831

Thanks everyone. I have taught drop it and leave it which he does with general success, lol.

Undergarments and paper are definitely his favourites but I guess I'll just have to wait it out. But I will check out the site and try some of the things offered I'll keep you posted thanks!

storm22

Experienced Member
ive been missing one gumboot for a couple of days (its been raining hard too) and i finally get to clean out kodas kennel to find it sitting under her blanket along with storms food bowl(?)(ive been wondering were that went to so has storm)

so shes expanding her likings mind you she does take her bowl into storms run

shes also taking to hunting crickits, its funny to watch her soo mesmorized by such a little thing then SMACK her head connects with the fence, the kennel, storm shes concentrating soo hard lolz

heidib860

Storm22
Lol's I can just imagine her cricket hunting.

Max to likes to stash things in his crate. Particularly shoes, usually mine. He's cute though because in the morning when were getting ready for work and school he will usually bring someone their shoe, only one but he will drop it at your feet and look up at you like he's helped you. I just have to laugh and give him lots of praise.

shareyoursmile

I booby trapped the counters by balancing plastic cups right on the edge. As soon as he'd get up on his hind legs to nose around the counter, he'd inevitably nudge one of the cups and it would fall, making a loud rattle.

I did something similar with paper towels, leaving one on the coffee table, but soaked it first with Bitter Apple. After one or two attempts, he stopped trying to take anything off the coffee table, and we can now leave newspapers and books around without worrying about him taking anything.

So simple yet so genious!!!
Great Ideas.
Thanks for the tips!!