Multiple Dogs

cppugs

I have several dogs that I currently work with. They are all at different level and tend to teach each other as I work with them on their different tricks.

I was wonder, as I get back to clicker training, how do those of you with more than one dog or animal clicker train one, without effecting the other one? Do you remove them from the area? Right now, all my training is in a group setting with all three working on things at the same time. Yes, while I am working on one, another is in the background showing off their tricks so they can get a treat LOL.

Thanks for any advice,
Charleen

montsterdog

When I clicker train I usually put the other dogs behind a baby gate, on their mats, or crates and ignore them. Then switch them around. Most of the time the dogs who are waiting for their turn will lay down and watch but are ready to train and offer behaviors once it is their turn.

I have seen digital clickers that have different sounds so you could condition each dog to a different sounds. Not sure how well that would work. :dogunsure:

I do sometimes train all the dogs at once but usually without a clicker.

sarhaspups

same here, I put the others behind a baby gate in the living room while I work the other in another room (they can still see us) but I very rarely train them all together, that is just too hectic! :)

storm22

Experienced Member
if im training storm and koda together i just use praise not my clicker as they do the trick at different times koda is still learning most of them and she reacts slower than storm (she is a puppy and i thinks its her personality, shes not adhd) but i do most of thier training seperate as storm has more advance stuff than a puppy (and he'll try be lazy and stick to kodas puppy stuff)

l_l_a

I do as Sarhaspups as Montsterdogs. well I have one dog, but right now we have a foster staying with us and I'm doing some clicker training with her. I've also wondered about whether it's confusing for the dog who's not being trained, to be hearing clicks coming from the next room when obviously he's not getting treats, and if it would "weaken" the value of the clicker for him?? but our trainer says that it doesn't, and so far I don't see any negative effects either, the dogs do seem to know when the click is for them even if one of them is watchign from behind a baby gate while the other is being clicker trained. I guess they associate the clicker (and treat) with your attention directed at them, and with "working", so if you are not giving them attention but they still hear the clicks from the next room they are not associating it with their behavior and expecting rewards...??

well the first few times I was training the new dog, I could hear my german shepherd crying and howling in the next room!! But I don't think it's because he heard the clicker and was demanding his treats, rather I think it's because he knew I was spending time with the new dog and he wanted in!!

I'm not hundred percent certain though, so I am interested to hear from those of you who clicker train multiple dogs in the same household, to know if you've seen any confusion from the dogs....!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
You are better off isolating the dog you are working with, especially with clicker training. The last thing you need is distractions. Training in a neutral environment will give your dog the opportunity to focus on you and the training tasks. :dogsmile:

lexio2

It is best to keep them isolated in the beginning, so the dog doesn't get confused. That being said, i'm working with Qwill on distractions, i bought a new clicker called the Clicker+ It has two different sounds you can switch between, so i can put Qwill in a down stay across the room, work on some doggie pushups with Shiner, and randomly reward Qwill by just switching sounds. It's more expensive than any other clicker, and is run on batteries, so a larger investment, but so far it's working out ok.

It did take me longer to load the clicker with Shiner's new sound since it's not as "sharp" i guess as the metal clickers.... it's working ok now tho. :)

dat123

Experienced Member
I have 3 dogs, and most of their tricks are taught in the lounge. We have soft canvas crates in the lounge, and we send the other 2 dogs ( ones that aren't being trained ) into the crates, they must wait patiently for their turn. It's like a drop stay.
It took awhile, and now they are good at waiting, it teaches them discipline, they also watch the dog being trained, and get an idea of what to do. They get rewarded with treats for being in the crates.
Outside situations are different, usually the other 2 will be tethered or in metal wire crates with the door closed.

storm22

Experienced Member
l_l_a my dogs hear the clicker and think yay im getting a treat, they do do a bit of whining if were too close when training seperate so we move away further, your dog might be doing the same because (my thinking) we've taught them that every time they hear the click there comes a treat so they instantly think its coming even if he hasnt done anything for it, so he could be telling you 'hey what about my treat i heard that click'

ella

I often train with all three dogs in the room. I have different clicker for every dog which makes training with three at a time, a lot easier.
I always have one dog "active", while the two other have to lay down or sit at a special place. Using three different clicks (one tongue click, one I-Clicker and one Clicker+) I can reward also the two passive dogs from time to time. So they will not stand up, during the training with the other dog, because they know they got a job to do, and if they are doing good, they will get a click from time to time ;)

In the case that I'm training really difficult things, or if we need to have a special trick in a very short time, I will seperate the dog from the others.

l_l_a

for the last few days I've been clicker training with one dog watching behind a gate and the other working with me, then I switch them out. my GSD doesn't whine or howl anymore when I'm working with the new dog. He just sits patiently behind the gate watching while I'm clicking and treating the new dog, and then when I switch dogs it's vice versa, she sits behind the gate and watches while I'm working with him. I think probably in the beginning there was some confusion, but maybe now they realize when the click is 'for them'...? Maybe because I also do some clicker training with them when I take them on individual walks (where there is no chance the dog at home can hear it), so that keeps the association strong...

cppugs

I really appreciate the comments. I am not sure what is going to work best with my group. Since they are use to working in competition with each other, I think I will need to separate them for the clicker training. You are all great! Thank you!!