Mudflap's Wii Experience

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
So, I have a kind of funny problem. And perhaps the hilarity of it is what's blocking my mind for training solutions, lol. For Christmas we bought my mom a Wii, with Wii Fit and Wii Sports. She's been wanting one for a long time, and we finally got her one. Well, the motions for some of the games--frisbee, tennis, ping pong, and others--are quick flicks of the wrist, or fast, sweeping arm movements.

The same type of motions you would use to throw your dog's toy. :dogunsure:

So, as you can imagine, my toy-crazy dogs hate the Wii. It's like we're teasing them incessantly. Zeke doesn't care anymore really, because he only cares about tennis balls, and the Wii remote looks nothing like a tennis ball. Mud, on the other hand, doesn't care what you're throwing. If it looks like you're throwing any object at all, it's probably fun to fetch. She doesn't fetch things she's not supposed to; she knows what is acceptable, but still the motions involved in the Wii game drive her crazy. She stands impatiently right in front of whoever's playing, waiting for something to be thrown. After all, if he/she is flinging their arms about so many times, surely one of those times something will fly out of their hand for her to fetch! So she stands and she drools and she readies herself for the toy that will never come. She gets into her best Border Collie crouch stance, and does not leave her spot until whoever is playing quits. She has yet to realize that we're pretty much just faking her out anytime the Wii remotes come out, lol. :dogblush: Her own toys are usually in the living room with her, but they don't exist when the Wii player is busy faking her out.

What do I do about this??? Of course, I can put her away anytime someone's playing Wii. Or I've also thought of getting her a mat or something and teaching her that when the Wii remotes come out, she has to go to her mat(far behind the player), or to an entirely different room out of view.
Any suggestions? :doglaugh:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Okay, so immediately after typing this, I grabbed Mud's hula hoop(only thing I had at hand and could think of), and laid it in the back corner of the living room. I told her to sit and stay in it, and only had to put her back in it(verbally tell her to get back in it) a couple times when Mom flailing her arms about was just too much for her. Her eyes are still watching Mom's every move, just waiting for the nonexistant toy to go flying. She will stay when toys are thrown; this is something I have worked on so perhaps this will work??? Heck I don't know. Lol. Anyway, right now Mud is in a sit-stay in her hula hoop drooling and watching Mom's every move. So, right now, at this point in time, the very simple sit-stay seems to be doing the trick--at least for keeping her from going nuts in front of the player, lol.
But, still completely open to advice! Or comments, haha!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Ok Tx_cowgirl, do ya mind if I tell you I'm sitting here laffing at you??? :msngiggle: Omg, I can just imagine poor Mud, in full B/C crouch, drooling .. throw it, throw it, throw it - PLEEEZ!!! Poor thing, you guys are having fun, and she's gonna need therapy! :dogtongue2: Before I got to your second post, I was thinking that besides just putting her in a different room, maybe you could try seeing if she could handle a down or sit/stay someplace very defined - then you thought of the hula-hoop -- great idea! Would she be able to eat during something like this? Wondering if maybe a stuffed kong or something might help her out - it might help get her mind off the invisible and non-existent toy (that will never, ever, ever be thrown :dogsad:). Still giggling at poor Mud - but really have to hand it to her, being able to sit-stay in her hula-hoop (at least at the time of your thread) like a good girl. I'm impressed!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
rofl!! too too funny!

the hula hoop seems a great idea. But, for times when you are not around and your mom is doing Wii, maybe, not sure, but maybe, if you let Mud sniff and see the remote, and tell her "Leave It", and make Mud back away from the remote, she will learn, the remote is a "back up, get away" kind of object?:msniwonder:

just a thought...

still, hilarious, i hadn't thought about this, but, i bet, Mud is NOT the only dog in USA going crazy over faked tosses...ha...shaking my head.

or, possibley train Mud to go to hoop---or leave room?--- when she sees that Wii remote being used?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Jackie--lol, no, laugh all you want! Poor sweet Mudflap. Only humans would find this hilarious. xD As soon as I posted the thread, the hula hoop idea just came to me and I thought, "How STUPID! Of course, a sit stay away from the player....." How silly of me; like I said the hilarity of it blocked my training knowledge, lol. ^^
Don't think she could eat during all this. She doesn't pay much attention to her own toys while this is going on. She will fetch them but loses interest as soon as the player swings again.
The hula hoop seems to be working really well; I'm thinking if I continue this she will either lose interest in the game or start putting herself in the back corner of the living room each time someone is playing Wii, much like dogs will eventually make themselves wait at the door after they are told to every time. I'll just have to make it something enjoyable, somehow.
As for when Mom's playing and I'm not home.....I'll have to either convince Mom to take the time to put the hula hoop in the corner and tell Mud to sit-stay there, or I'll just have to tell her to put her up...... I'm not sure there. :dogblink:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yay Mud! When Mom first started playing Wii today, Mud seated herself at the back corner of the living room without me saying a thing. As we speak, Mud is laying next to me, just a few feet away from my mom, who is still playing Wii. Yeah, this time I kinda broke the rules(BAD TRAINER!). I was being lazy and didn't want to go get her hula hoop, lol, so I just had her sit-stay next to me when she did break the stay she put herself in in the corner. Mom's been playing for about 40 minutes now and Mud has yet to leave her post, lol. I think about 15 minutes in she forgot all about the drool party and non-existant toy and now she's just chilling out beside me.
Way to go Mudflap! And shame on myself for not sticking to my own principles. xD

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Three cheers for MUD!!!! Way to go!! :dogtongue2: I'm totally impressed. Doesn't that figure, about the time you think, oh nooo, we've got a problem here, and start shaking your head for all kinds of new solutions, the dog figures things out and it's no big deal. (And then there's when things seem like they should be so simple, they turn into mountains... I think they like to keep us on our toes:dogwink:.)

Congrats to Mud - and you!!! She's brilliant, and now hopefully Wii is just another ho-hum human thing she can nap through. Good work!

sara

Staff member
OMG that's funny!!! but good for you for figuring it out fast Mud! I was having a grand ol' time picturing the situation!!! LMAO

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
She's getting bored with the Wii now. She knows she can either drool and jump and get all goofy over a toy that never ever comes, or she can lay in the corner and just chill out. Those are the only two options she has, and she doesn't get to drool and be crazy.....so she really only has one option. Lay in the corner and chill out, lol. She's fine with it and is getting a lot better about calming down; doesn't have her eyes locked on the player's every move quite as much.

So, this was an easy fix. :) Yay Mud! Ha, wonder if anyone makes any squeaky toy Wii remotes..... LOL