Mouth/Teeth issues

hockey390

I have this question posted at the end of another post I have, but felt it would not get the appropriate views at the end of a separate topic.

My dog has been showing no interest in eating, as well as dropping items short on retrieves. These are both new behaviors from what she was about a month ago.

It was brought to my attention that maybe her mouth was sore, so I took that to mind and started adding warm water to her food to soften it up a little. She has eating every last bite ever since.

Now I would like to find out if there is some kind of soreness in her mouth, or any issues with her gums, etc. Does anyone know what I can check or look for? I will take her to the vet if it comes to that, but I hate to take her in and have them say she looks fine and slap me with a $100 vet bill. I say this mostly because she chews on her hard chew toys all the time, so I am no where near sure that she has any problem other than it being a "teenage" year behavior. None the less, I would sure like to find out if there are any problems.

Any suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated.

hockey390

She turned 10 months on the 15th, all of her adult teeth are in, however I am not certain if they are fully protruded as far as they go. I have been under the impression that the teething stage takes place only for 1-3 months after the loss of baby teeth, which she did around 4 months.

storm22

Experienced Member
does her mouth smell rotten or is she dribbling these are signs of gingavitus but being soo young i wouldnt think shes has that yet, check her teeth does she have an odd one out of place, my friends pig dog didnt loose all his teeth, a couple of his puppy teeth stayed in and she had to get them romoved as he was also showing signs of dropping food maybe your dog has a pup tooth stuck in behind an adult tooth

montsterdog

My dog still chewed on hard things even when he had a broken tooth. Then he got really careful about taking toys into his mouth. After he got his tooth pulled he was back to his normal crazy fetching maniac :dogtongue2:. When his tooth was hurting he'd also act more tired and sometimes ignored me. It might be worth it to take your dog in for a check up even if you won't see anything abnormal in his mouth.