More Trick ideas

nuttychild17

How about "fetch the soda from the refrigerator" or "Open the Door" or "Balance the trick on your nose" or "jump" or "Kiss" or "Dance" (balance on hind legs and spin). Just throwing some ideas out.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, those are some great ideas! I plan on teaching my dog to get a soda from the fridge this winter, and will also write and record it with step by step instructions.

There is currently the Beg lesson in level 3 which is similar to the "dance", you just have to bring the treat higher up in the air until he stands up on his two back legs.

What do you mean by jump? :) Jump what? You? A hoop? A jump?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's a little extreme :) Dogs aren't human you know.

You could easily teach him to jump through a hoop or over something, but jumping a rope over and over isn't realistic. Maybe I don't understand what you mean exactly.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Well, I tought my dog to jump over my arms, or my leg, and jump throught my armes formed in a ring. I plan to teach her to jump over me (of course I would crouch down), but I would need someone to help me in that, to call the dog. But we are practising the jumps just yet.
Canine freestyle, here I come!!!:msngiggle::msngiggle:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
You can teach her that easily by using a doorway. Crouch down very low to the ground and call your dog over you. Gradually increase the height of your crouch and eventually you can move away from the doorway. :)

Hope that made sense.

nuttychild17

I have already taught him some basic agility so he knows some like jump through a hoop and over a jump. He can jump pretty high for his size.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Jean;1056 said:
You can teach her that easily by using a doorway. Crouch down very low to the ground and call your dog over you. Gradually increase the height of your crouch and eventually you can move away from the doorway. :)

Hope that made sense.
I have already tried that, but I can't get her to jump. I think I need someone who is ONLY (!!!:LOL:) luring her, and giving her the treat.:dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Try putting her in a sit & wait across the doorway, put a bunch of treats on the other side, and lie down in next to the doorway in between the treats and your dog.

She should be able to walk over you right? If you do this enough times to get her comfortable, you can slowly increase your height. You'll have to do this very slowly but it should work.

But you are right that having someone to lure her over you would be easier, but that's not always an option! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Well ok then! :dogwub: I guess I was wrong, lol.

I've never actually tried training this (yet), so if any of you have any ideas on how to train this, please jump in the thread! :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh, I've seen dogs that can jump rope. You have one end of the rope tied to a stationary object or just one person on each end. I haven't tried this one yet, but I know it can be done.

xsara

I love all the backwards tricks - weaves backwards, figure 8 backwards ... It's very good for coordination, body awareness and trust since the dog can't see where he's going.

l_l_a

Hehe I loved seeing the dogs jumping rope! amazing!

Xsara I went to your website - your videos are awesome!!

And so many people (at least the ones I've come across) say beagles and other hounds are "untrainable" or simply "too stubborn" - at least that is what I was told because I used to own beagles and the obedience trainers told me that. That was a long time ago. But I believed them and gave up prematurely in trying to train my dogs and just accepted what the trainers said about hounds not being trainable except for hunting (their "instinctive work"). What nonsense, they just need to find a way to motivate their dogs to be cooperative, as you have!!

xsara

Another set of tricks that is good for body awareness is to touch different body parts with his nose (front legs, hind legs, hips ...).

Thank you l l a! The "hounds are not trainable" arguement is common here too. Luckily beagles like to eat so it makes training a lot easier. Xsara is my first dog so I don't know how difficult it is to train other breeds, but now that we got used to each other it's not that hard. However it used to be - lucky we had help.

nessa

my dream dog trick, would be to teach them how to clean up after themselves and put their toys back in their toy box! Maybe its my fault, ive always spoilt my dogs with heaps of toys and they end up all over the yard and house. They have however, got me well trained to clean up after them:)