Missy Is Learning The "roll Yourself In A Blanket" Trick!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there,

Missy is still learning the "Roll yourself in a Blanket" trick. Last night it was her first session. It was a 1/2 hour long... (oops, I do try to keep training sessions short, but sometimes I get a little carried away with teaching her tricks that I lose track of time, 'cause it's so much fun!)

Here's the picture of Missy after she rolled herself in a blanket for the 4th time. :) She did it 4 times after a few trial and errors, but we did get it...

I tried it again tonight (she seemed a bit tired), and she did it once. JACKPOT! Hopefully she hasn't lost interest in learning this trick as I do keep it positive for her.

Here's the photo:

I'm hoping she does it again, so that way I can possibly make a trick tutorial of it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YAY!! CUTE AS HECK!! LOVE IT!!

If your dog has her att'n span built up to half hour or more, i think it is okay to have longer lessons for dogs who ARE accustomed to tricks training. So long as your dog is not zoning out and still enthusiastically working on the tricks, it is fine to have longer lessons.
My dog can do much longer lessons, too, especially if he really likes a trick.

it's beginner dogs i think ought to have short lessons. Beginner dogs often zone out easier, and then, their owner gives up, "My dog won't pay attention...":rolleyes: but, it is just that particular dog is a beginner dog, and has not YET built up his attention span.

LOOKS LIKE YOU AND MISSY NAILED THIS ONE!!! ADORABLE!!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
I would think that this trick would take a bit longer to teach....but....Missy learned it sooo fast!!!! She's sooo smart!!!!:LOL:Shivon still doesn't get that to roll yourself in a blanket, you need to hold the blanket:rolleyes:

Dlilly

Honored Member
That picture is soo cute!!

I'd love to teach Shiloh this, but she doesn't like to roll on her side, or to roll over.:(

Dlilly

Honored Member
I don't think so. She feels vulnerable in that position. I've gotten her to lay on her side once, but she really didn't like it, so I'm not going to force her.

Dogster

Honored Member
Yeah, because that positin is the "submissive" position in dogs. When I first taught Shivon to play dead and roll over, she didn't want to get in that position either. Shivon always goes into the submissive position at the dog park when a big dog (for example, rottie) wants to smell her.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dilly, i understand about a dog not liking a certain trick, for "whatever" reason we can guess about. My dog once hated weaving in my legs, just hated it.
I waited a long time, working on OTHER tricks,
and RE-introduced leg-weaving, and WA-LA!! NOW my dog was fine about leg-weaving, and loves it!

go figure.

my point is,
you can always wait a while, and later, try it again, after a long time has passed. Sometimes, dogs DO like tricks, that they previously disliked, if you try again later. No idea why, but, it's true.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Dilly, i understand about a dog not liking a certain trick, for "whatever" reason we can guess about. My dog once hated weaving in my legs, just hated it.
I waited a long time, working on OTHER tricks,
and RE-introduced leg-weaving, and WA-LA!! NOW my dog was fine about leg-weaving, and loves it!

go figure.

my point is,
you can always wait a while, and later, try it again, after a long time has passed. Sometimes, dogs DO like tricks, that they previously disliked, if you try again later. No idea why, but, it's true.
(sorry for kinda stealing the thread. :confused:) I did that with bow. I tried and tried, and she just kept on laying down. So, a taught her something else, and a month later I tried teaching her bow, and it worked! I think this is different though. She feels unsafe on her belly. Like something will get her. I might try it again….. I took if real slow with her when I tried to teach it to her.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Great! You should put it in the challenge section and see if you can get some more people to try it! :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I have the tutorial for this trick made... I just need to upload it.

It's 11 minutes and 44 seconds long!

I have all the steps in the video for people who need/like a step-by-step video on how to go about teaching the whole trick from start to finish (teaching "take it" to teaching the dog to roll over with the blanket in their mouth...)

I wonder how I could make it shorter (without cutting out important info?):unsure:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I've never made a "how to" video, but i've watched many many "how to" videos, and usually they are about 5 minutes long.

Many of the dog trick videos i've seen, use a screen of words now and then, like, a screen pops up that reads "Next, I move the target" or whatever. Usually, the "how to" videos i've seen, show only one (1) repetition of the step being discussed.

Maybe if you watch some "how to" videos, that can help you hone your video down to just the stuff you really need..?

Like this video, so well made, and although it is a multi-step lesson, she got it down to a two minute video:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!