Meet Russell - Our Staffordshire Bull Terrier X American Bulldog (...we Think!) Rescue Angel

curls139

Hi everyone we are from the UK and this is Russell. We rescued him at 9 months old, having been in kennels since he was just 4 months old...we were 'failed' dog walkers -walking him for months, fell in love with him and took him home!

We've had him for 4 months now and his favourite things to do are play fetch for hours, chill with his best friend Toby our grey cat, play tug for tricks (currently he has just learnt to roll over whilst OH was at the olympics, also knows sit, down, stay, high five (both hands), paw (both paws), stand (still perfecting this), leave, 'on your mat' and 'in your bed', and briefly knew crawl)....and cuddle on the sofa with his Mums - he is a big lap dog!

Hopefully we can meet others who are doing tricks and also get some support for Russell's dog unsurity which has developed- it's so good to see others out there helping their dogs through similar things. We have been to dog obedience and had a session with a trainer and are aiming to use completely positive methods with Russ to help him be OK with being around other dogs on a lead. (Will write more about this on the dog behaviour bit).

Good to meet everyone :) Russ, Helen, Sarah, Toby (cat), Yaz (cat)

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!!!:D Great story!!! Russ sounds like a wonderful dog!!! We would LOVE to see some more pics of him, he looks absolutely gorgeous!!!!:love:

You have taught him a lot of tricks in four months!!!! Wow!!!:eek: If you need help or ideas, just ask!!! :)
Please stick around!!! This is an AMAZING site, I'm sure you'll fit right in and never want to leave!!!:p:LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome:D Russell is beautiful. Loved the story, he sure is one bright boy I see him learning loads more tricks, a real superstar:D

Please post some pictures, we sure would love to see more of your gorgeous boy:D

curls139

Hi everyone yep would like to post more...but unsure what buttons to press...still working it out...any help would be appreciated.

Also correction, have just looked back at the calendar we have had him for 6 months!

Aww lovely to hear some love for a dog like Russell...don't know if you know but we have horrible breed specific legislation...and thrown in with this Staffordshire Bull Terriers and their crosses also have a rep as being 'attack dogs' or 'scary' or 'uncontrollable' due to the false media representation....we are working hard with Russell so he can be a model for the breed as there are SO many abandoned dogs like him in rescue due to the above....so thankyou for everyone's props to Russ

southerngirl

Honored Member
Forget all those ignorant people who dis the pit bull breeds they are amazing sweet loyal dogs. And beautiful. to post a picture press the attach a file or photo button it's right beside the post reply.

Dogster

Honored Member
Yeah, we know.:rolleyes: :mad: I suppose you've heard about Lennox, horrible story.:mad::cry: I wish everyone treated pitbulls and staffies the same as all other breeds. A lot of them are just as nice and sweet as any other dog.:) There are too many cases like the Lennox case,dogs not even having any pit bull in him, perfectly nice dogs, all killed because they are or look like pitbulls, staffies, etc. It gets me so angry:mad:

And Russ is just the cutest thing!!! I love his face!!!:love::love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes it's terrible what is happening with that law:mad: . I ADORE Staffies and Pit Bulls, they are BOTH SWEET, LOVING, LOYAL oh just plain WONDERFUL:love: .

Russ already sounds like he's a wonderful role model and he's just so cute, that face:love:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! Russ sounds fabulous :love: - and your family does too! :LOL: We're all too familiar with BSL here in the US, as some cities have it. Having two German Shepherds, I'm all too familiar with the prejudice against certain breeds. Years ago it was GSs, then it seems it went to Rotties, now it's Pits. It's angering but you're so correct - making him a wonderful ambassador of the breed is the best way to show people it's not the breed at all.

Have fun on the sight, loads of great people here. As for any specific issues, post them in either the training or behavioral sections (depending) and lots will throw out ideas for you. We're a pretty friendly bunch, no one bites :LOL:, we love pics, and we love good challenges! Have fun!

curls139

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the great comments about Russ and thanks particularly for offering so much help on the 'Let's Help Russ' thread- so amazingly generous of you all.. will update everyone with how we are getting on - just thought we'd share some more photos of our little Russ-Bear....!
IMG_3585.jpg
IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3497.jpg
photo.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg

southerngirl

Honored Member
Aww he has spots. I have a soft spot for spotted dogs they remind me of my previous dog. I love the spots in his ears so cute.:love: He's a beauty.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hopefully we can meet others who are doing tricks and also get some support for Russell's dog unsurity which has developed- it's so good to see others out there helping their dogs through similar things.
Sorry for the belated welcome - but welcome! Aside from this being one of the most supportive and well rounded forums you will find on dog training, it is also a great place to learn and discuss tricks so you have hit the jackpot.

More than one member here has a dog aggressive or reactive dog and the advice, especially once TigerLily comes back, is amazing. You are very much in the right place!