Meet Jean

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Name: Jean Location: Canada

Dogs: Onyx (female Siberian Husky) & Chase (female Border Collie)

Activities: Going for hikes, Training Obedience and Tricks, Getting my dogs to pull me on skis (skijoring), Playing Retrieving & Frisbee.

Dog Tricks: Onyx can Sit, Down, Stand, Shake Paws, High Five, Speak, Bow, Back Up, Are you Shy (Hit her nose with her paw), Put her toys away, Play chess, Roll Over, Crawl, Spin, Turn Around, Turn Either way, Weave in & Out of my legs, Stand on my arm, Howl, Fetch a Flower, Jump over me, Back Up...

Chase can Heel, Sit, Down, Stand, Shake Paws, High Five, Crawl, Fetch, Find objects, Discriminate scents, Find my keys, Play basketball (a small one glued to the door), Weave in & Out of my legs, Roll over, Spin, Turn around, Jump in my arms, Jump Over me, Jump On me, Play Dead (BANG), Go Touch Wall or Target (from distance), Go around post (from distance)...

How they found me: I got Onyx at a local breeder who had huskies for sledding. She was the only female in the litter and was my first dog. I learned a great deal about dogs by having her. She is a typical Siberian husky, very stubborn and easily distracted, but the challenge is what made me the trainer I am today. Two years later I decided to get myself a more workable breed, thus I decided to get Chase, a border collie, from a breeder. She was extremely cute and friendly, and she loved toys. Her name there was Kisses because she kissed everybody in sight. (Which is still an appropriate name for her!)

Areas of expertise: Positive training methods, mainly luring and shaping. I always use clickers, or verbal marker signals during my training methods. I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but I figured if what worked with my dogs, should work with other dogs as well.

Breed Choice: I really love my Siberian Husky for her unique personality, but a Border Collie suits more my style. I dedicate myself to training and a border collie mimics my energy. They give out 110% every time and it is very satisfying.

dat123

Experienced Member
Nice post Jean.

You've got two great dogs, as we've all seen in the classroom lessons, you must be proud of them.

Umm.. find my keys trick, I think I should teach mine that one.

maven

I love watching your dogs in action on the training videos. Onyx is incredibly gorgeous. Once in a while, though, I'd also like to see a dog learning a trick from scratch instead of showing how it was taught to a dog that already knows it.

But yes, you should be proud of them and of yourself -- especially with Onyx being a first dog. That's quite an accomplishment. :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Yes it is hard to do that because teaching a trick usually involves several training sessions.

But I do have some shaping sessions that were taught in 1 sessions:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0x8M6twjLE[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8c2jpfzdI[/media]

As the website develops, the later levels which are shaping levels, will have more real-time training sessions.

tazman

Hi You sent me a message but my ad block haves stop it yet I never ask it to so I don't get your mesage SORRY.

jazzycat

You do have two beautiful dogs, and I find it ironic that a husky is also my first dog, even though I have lived with a border collie before (he wasn't my dog, he belongs to my ex). But I may end up with him (BC) anyway. My ex has moved because of work, and during the winter he may be working on a cruise ship again. So even if I don't get Lester, I may end up with partial custody during part of the year. :)

Onyx has the same coloring as Blue. I would post a picture, but I can't figure out how to do it. It kept saying I needed more characters...?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Hi Jean,

I was wondering what made you originally choose the Siberian Husky as your first breed? Was it because you were interested in skijoring, or did that interest develop after already having a Husky?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine had a husky mix and I loved that dog, she was so gentle and fun to be around. That was the biggest motivating factor for me to get a husky. I read a few books before I got her, although they should emphasize a bit more the amount of hair you get in the house!!! LOL :dogbiggrin: Onyx and my friend's husky mix (Dakota) played together while she was growing up, and they helped me with her in the beginning.

MaryK

Honored Member
Jean, sorry this is human error not dog:) I was so upset by Ra Kismet's tantrum that I accidently posted in the GENERAL TRAINING forum - not the BEHAVOUR forum.

The post title is
Over Reaction Tantrum Big Time

I have copy/pasted it over to the correct forum but of course cannot remove it from the incorrect forum.

My apologies, I'm not normally so inconsiderate but was very upset by my dogs tantrum.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Huskies do have a unique personality, huh? I have a mix and he's just... unique. It doesn't suit everyone though!