Max Is A Jumper

MaryK

Honored Member
I can see where you're all coming from, but now wondering why it's been made illegal here and back home. The rational put forward was'docking a tail of a dog for cosmetic reasons is unnecessary and cruel as it takes away an important part of the dogs vocabulary' or something like that, may not have it verbatim.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I honestly don't think docking tails should be illegal for dogs such as Boxers. But the ears should defiantly be illegal cause they were docked for fighting dogs know people use it to make their dogs look tuff.

MaryK

Honored Member
In light of what you have said re tail docking, I am having a change of mind with Boxers.
I didn't know that the ear docking was for dog fighting:mad: That's terrible and personally I DO NOT think it makes the dogs look tough - just ridiculous. That's illegal in the States now isn't it? I've only ever seen dogs with docked ears in the States .Wouldn't that affect their hearing?

southerngirl

Honored Member
In light of what you have said re tail docking, I am having a change of mind with Boxers.
I didn't know that the ear docking was for dog fighting:mad: That's terrible and personally I DO NOT think it makes the dogs look tough - just ridiculous. That's illegal in the States now isn't it? I've only ever seen dogs with docked ears in the States .Wouldn't that affect their hearing?
As far as I know they still dock ears here in the US and I don't think it effects their hearing because they are removing skin so it shouldn't effect it. Yeah in dog fighting if they had ears they could get ripped off.

MaryK

Honored Member
As far as I know they still dock ears here in the US and I don't think it effects their hearing because they are removing skin so it shouldn't effect it. Yeah in dog fighting if they had ears they could get ripped off.
Oh nice to hear they care so much (being super sarcastic here, acidic tongue):mad: Poor dogs, I'm always petitioning and fighting against dog fights!

Glad though for those who aren't used for dog fighting to know it doesn't affect their hearing. Still prefer them with their ears 'au natural' though:D

MaryK

Honored Member
got the fence up just need the gate put on tomarrow, got a box clicker today too. still no treadmill tho, told hubby to talk to son, hope that will get done soon.
Woweee that's grand!

Sit on him Sameeee - HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the box clicker, use a piece of blue tack on it to muffle the sound, especially if you click near the head/ears, as it's a bit loud. Kikopup has a wonderful vid on this, will try to look for it later, am in a bit of a rush this morning.

Honored Member
Theres a boxer at agility with an intact tail. It looked slightly odd at first because I haven't met that many Boxers and most pictures of Boxers have docked tails, but having a tail looks fine.

I don't really buy into the story of docking their tails to prevent injuries, it seems like a bit of a weak reason to me.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Excellent!! So glad he has a yard. :D I think you'll start seeing a big change in him if you (meaning 'whoever' - a group committment) makes an effort to see to it that he gets sessions of playtime and training time, and once used to it, time on the treadmill. You'll see a much calmer and happier boy! (y)

Sameeee

got the treadmill home but it's not working:( the display comes on but the motor don't, hubby is going to look at it tomarrow hope it's just a lose wire

MaryK

Honored Member
Whoopeeee!:D That's fantastic that Max now has his very own playground!(y) As Jackiemutts says, it's a group commitment to keep him happy. Lotsa play, training (which is such fun anyway it's like playing) and you'll soon see a massive change in Max. He'll be calmer and happier!

Bummer with the treadmill, hope it's just a lose wire or something easy to fix.

Sameeee

Max just loves his yard. been getting him usta the clicker and wareing him out with the ball. he still jumps a lot. so lots of work still to do. the treadmill is still not fixed. hubby will work on it when he can

MaryK

Honored Member
That's fantastic! Great, he needed that he'll respond quickly to training as he can now work of his excess energy:D . So happy for you both:D. Hope you can get the treadmill fixed very soon.

Sameeee

hubby never got to working on the treadmill. so while he was in the hospital I was able to check it out. and found a connection was off, put it back on and now have a working treadmill.
after hubby came home from the hospital, I cut up some hot dogs and started working with Max, just getting him on and off the treadmill when it was not running. and having him sit next to it while I walked on it to get him used to the sound and all. did this for about a week.
now this is where it went nuttts lol.
after getting him on and off a few times I turned the the tread mill on with a treat in front of him, he started to walk, I'm thinking yepppeeeee! then out of the bedroom hubby calls me, this makes Max turn and he trys to get off and trips. this scares Max to the point he would not even try to walk on it again. I tryed keeping him on with a leash but he pulled and would drag his hind legs, treats would not get him to walk on it again. this went on for about a week. he would still get on and off when it was not running but would look down and cock his head to see if it was going to start. if it did start off he went,
then it came to me.
Max loved to clean up Rocky and Precious's leftovers. they get canned food mixed with the dry. so I put some canned food in a dish. did the on and off with treats. then put the dish in front of Max and let him get a bite. turned on the treadmill and guess what? he walked. kept the dish just out of his reach and giving him bites when he stayed walking. he would even get back on with it running if he went off the end.
I will do it like this untill he gets used to walking and staying on the running treadmill. and slowly change over to treats.
it was funny my son bet me Max would never walk the treadmill. had son sit. and turned on the treadmill. put the dish up and told Max to walk he jumped right on and walked, surprised the heck out of my son, now son owes me $100.00 lol like I will ever get it but the look on his face was worth it lol

will post some pics with him on it soon

MaryK

Honored Member
That's great that Max has decided to walk on the treadmill, especially after his initial fright. Good for you for persevering! LOL, can well understand the look on your son's face was worth more than the $100 when Max performed so beautifully:LOL: