Manners Minder

montsterdog

Does anyone have Manners Minder? What do you think about it and what kinds of things did you train with it? I am thinking about getting one and would like to hear more about it.

hivin

http://www.petexpertise.com/item--MannersMinder-Remote-Dog-Training-System--mannersminder.html

That link will take you to a page that describes the Manners Minder and how it works, etc -- it's basically an electronic training device.
The MannersMinder remotely dispenses kibble, dry dog food, or treats of uniform small sizes. Most dogs will readily learn to earn their meals (And it’s great for them! Dog trainers have long understood the advantages of using your dogs regular meals for training).
We have never heard of it before now either ... we googled the title and that's where the search took us.

Take care: Hivin

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
It's a remote controlled reward system. Kind of cool but they are selling this for $149.75 ($99.75 on sale). Basically you could use this for working with a down stay for when you walk far from the dog.

Not sure if you need it though, what exactly are you planning to do with it? I think you can pretty much just give the dog treats yourself so that he keeps his attention on you and not the automatic feeder.

sarhaspups

That's my thought, I looked at it online and though it probably does the job but I'd think my dog would be more interested in that thing spitting treats out than me and trust me, I don't need any help with my dogs ignoring me. teehee. :)

montsterdog

I think it would be a great tool to reward the dog away from me. i.e. I could send the dog to their mat and they would get rewarded at the mat and staying there. I am very bad about throwing stuff and I do want to reward the dogs sometimes away from me. I train agility and was thinking that maybe Manners Minder could be used to train distance and again improve the timing and placement of reward. Maybe it could be used to train some tricks too. And of course I thought about using it to reward dogs being quiet in their crates while I play with the others. It has a remote so I'd guess you could use it even when you are in a different room? Just don't know if it is worth all the $$. I guess it depends on your dog but I do have a "velcro" dog who could use little less handler focus in training...

hockey390

Seems pretty nifty to me.. Although I don't exactly want to spend $100 on it.. I think it would be cool to train them to focus on you and not the machine, but incorporate the clicker too.. Like sit, keep eye contact for 10 seconds, click, and the reward will be waiting in the corner of the room.

hivin

Yes, that's what we were thinking. We're physically disabled and to get to the dog to reward with a treat ... well there's just too much time delay to actually reward the behaviour we're training for ... we use the clicker method ... it works great for us, Bailey gets a little snap shot of the moment we want to reinforce but the reward can be delayed a bit. For service dog work it is imperative that the dog focus on us all of the time ... we can't have her looking to some other source for rewards or cues ... our last new clicker cost us $0.99 ... a lot less expensive ... probably just as effective and also ensures that she remains focused on us. We do love toys/gadgets but think we'll wait for some other nifty thing.

Take care all: Hivin