Luka - Shy Guy Play

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I was looking through my YouTube channel and wanted to share a bit about Luka - I am so proud of him.

When he first came to me he was a shut down, Eeyore of a dog. At 6 months old - he acted like an old man. He was afraid of any noise, people were not to be trusted and he was either very tense or completely unresponsive. Any fast movement made him run and playing with people or toys was out of the question.

After about a month, he finally came around enough to start learning to play with us a little. One day at the lake - Tracy got him to play a silly stalking game that he thoroughly enjoyed and we got to see a sliver of his puppy side.

Now almost 4 months in, he is such a joy. He is a true snuggler, he seeks attention at home and warmly greets most people at work. He can play games with toys and even play 'catch me if you can' games with us. He is a joyful dog who I have grown VERY attached to in a short span of time.

He is truly a sight to behold when he is running free and being a pup and I give Ayla a HUGE credit in helping me reach him. She showed him through her quiet resolve and loving nature that people are not to be feared, and what fun being part of a family can be.

My dogs continue to amaze me everyday - I am so thankful they are in my life! :love:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOVED IT!! JUST ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

My dog was also shut down, and we thought he was elderly when we first met him. MmmHmm, had no idea how to play, was very suspicious, bit everyone who startled him, or touched him, and spent rest of his day offering us glares and growls...just never ever played at all.
We just kept tossing him treats,
and gently telling him, "it wasn't US. ..just give us a chance here Buddy. take your time, and make up your own mind about us."

we didn't really "meet" him for a long time, he was in lockdown, and did not think much of our species AT ALL.
And the "him" we brought first brought home, was an entirely different "him" by the time he decided to trust us after all. It was like watching a flower blossom.

i can still remember Buddy's first ever smile, (was a long time)
first time he ran free, first time he played with a toy.
and first time he licked us and bashfully looked back away,
first time he ever sat down close to us.
and first time he let me hug him. (reeally long time)

I think all dogs, no matter what their issue, can be made better!! and sometimes, remarkably better!! and some dogs, depending on what it is, can even be cured.
Buddy is now an informal therapy dog at a nursing home, and loves all humans, all of 'em, no exceptions. Nothing pleases him more than company, or meeting new ppl, just very tail waggy about every person now.
He is also a VERY playful, lively dog, just loves to play. And he wasn't old, we think he may have been as young as one year old, but, def not old, like we once thought.

KUDOS ON THE WONDERFUL PROGRESS!!! What an adorable dog!!
just loved this video and story, thanks so so much for posting it, who knows who might be inspired by your story there. GOOD LUCK for even more and more and more progress!!

It's never too late for any dog to get happier.