Liver Cookies

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, i wish i had written "DRAIN WELL" in a blinking 36 point font!:ROFLMAO:

It is VIP to drain all the items as well as you can, for several minutes even, shaking the veggies and meat around in a colander over and over.......and over....and over...til they are dry.

Instead of raw oats, one can also use dried potato flakes (box of instant potatoes) IF their dog can tolerate potatoes without getting gas.
but, on nutritional level, potatoes and oats are similar.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Ok bin out and bought the stuff to give a go at making these.
A question what size do you make them before you put them in the oven. I ask this because when I make normal cookies it usually says like half of such and such a spoonful of this blah blah lol as it usually affects cooking time too.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Ohhh well they all seem to love them - especially Bella we shall see if she takes them outside the house tomorrow

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YAY!!! Sorry i did not see your question in time, any size you make them is fine, i usually make them the size of a typical human cookie. If you make them smaller or larger, you will just have to adjust the cooking time.

Tif, if a dog wont' take treats at all, it is a sign the dog is "over her threshold" and it won't matter what treat you use. The dog is "shut down".

If your Bella wont' take treats outdoors, you could try beginning to get her to take a treat (USE TINY TREATS, break these cookies into crumbs)
on your doorstep.

Take a few more steps away from the door, treat again. Slowly, slowly, maybe over days and weeks, getting Bella to take a treat outside, further and further from her doorstep.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Yep they do like them infact I had to stop them snatching them off the plate as I was turning my back lol.

Bella has always bin a fussy eater and she has taken treats out the house but they have to be wonderful not anything ordinary. But I will def try it like you said from the doorway first.

Bella, Jenny and Zara never sat or lay down as quick lol once they had them.

Made some gravy from the water the liver was cooked in, Bella has never eaten her dinner so quick, lol left the room for around 5 minutes came back and it was nearly all gone. Jenny was scoffing it down too, and zara licked her bowl so clean I'm suprised she didnt eat it too lol.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
SO GLAD YOUR DOGS LIKED THE COOKIES!!
:D:D:D
For tricks training, i break the cookie into crumbs,
so my dog won't get fat or full.
If my dog has "breakthrough" i just give tiny treats,
one after the other,
after the other,
not one large one,
not all at once,
but one after the other,
so Buddy KNOWS wow, this here is a jackpot!

lolz, i keep that broth, too! For next few days, i dole out a bit of the liver broth into his dinner. HE LOVES IT!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Hahaha lol

I've made two batches so far and Bella loves them. Zara tried to run off with the spoon lol last time I made them, only put it down for a second.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Do you let the dogs lick the beaters and the bowl clean? wow, does my dog get the bowl and the beaters spotlessly clean! The beaters are harder for him to get clean, it takes longer.
(yes, of course, i still really wash them!)

Rdog, i've started adding in the dash of garlic into each 3rd batch i make, makes nice change up.

running_dog

Honored Member
I made a tray of "cookies" with lamb instead of liver as a extra super treat for Zac being nice to the puppy.

Normally if there is any leftover lamb fat I put a little in the same bag as his other treats, it rubs into them and he works SO hard for them :). This time I wanted to make something really special for him. He does like them, it gives some variety and it made the lamb go a lot further.

I wonder if they would work with chopped beef heart as well? Zac likes that too.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yes, i have made these treats using any leftover meat we have, and any leftover veggies at all. Buddy still likes them just fine,
but just not as much as he loves the liver-flavored ones.....

I've made these with ham, pork of any kind, beef, chicken meat, deer meat, whatever kind of meat we have on hand, Buddy eats them. I bet one could use fish, too, but i've never tried it.

And i've used any leftover veggies, of asparagus, broccoli, peas, yams, potatoes, sweet potatoes, punkin, squash, whatever veggies we have around the fridge, can be used.

I usually use one yellow, one green veggie, but it is okay to use two green veggies and no yellow veggies. but I try to never use two yellow veggies, (too much vitamin A then, since liver is chockful of vitamin A as well)
but two green veggies is okay.

(no onions, no mushrooms, no raisens, though)

IT IS A GREAT RECIPE FOR ANY KIND OF LEFTOVERS!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
RECIPE UPDATE:
Lately, i have been making these as gifts pretty often, and i FINALLY figured out an easier way to make these cuter for gifts.

I take some wax paper, and slop a line of dough in a line along the wax paper.......then i roll this up into the wax paper,
and roll this back and forth, til the glob of dough is now a smooth, long roll of dough,
and then i unwrap it,
and slice off lil perfect circles or ovals. Chilling the tubes of dough about 10 minutes prior to slicing the circles,
makes really better looking sliced -circles.

otherwise, these treats is not much to look at, kind of ugly treats, actually. :ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
I made the treats!!!!!! Shivon LOVES them!!!! She was standing by my side the WHOLE time I was making them!!!! (Of course she liked the bowls clean:)). I will post a picture of how they look.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO:

too funny!! Can't wait to see the pictures, and the image of Shivon standing beside you as you cook, made me smile to picture it!!:D
So glad you let Shivon "do the dishes" for you!!:ROFLMAO:
Cleaning the beaters off always takes my Buddy several moments to get those spotless, then the beaters are ready to wash.

Dogster, since these treats are soooo healthy, it might be something you can use to sprinkle over Shivon's kibble next time Shivon needs some motivation to eat...who knows.