Listen Carefully, Grasshopper!

Kim Abston

An update on my paralyzed doggie, Hannah:

I first posted some time ago because I was worried about my little Dachshund Hannah's compulsive licking issue. I thought at first she was doing it because she was grieving the loss of her lovely sister Shari in 2010. Then, I thought perhaps she was bored, or insufficiently stimulated. But, a few weeks ago, sitting quietly alone late one night, I thought, "come on, Kim, listen to your baby--what is she saying to you?" At last, all of a sudden, the pieces of the puzzle just began to fall into place...

• Hannah was licking incessantly.
  • Her licking habits had changed.
  • She used to lick my skin, seeking tasty body lotion.
  • Now, she was licking rough things: A corduroy pillow, the bricks on the edge of the porch, (my husband's hairy arm was more appealing than my lotion rich arm)--in fact, any rough surface she could reach.
  • She would lick non-stop and she did not seem to care what things tasted like, all she cared about was licking LOTS.
  • Periodically, Hannah has to have antibiotics for bladcer infections, but recently, the tell-tale slimy urine did not readily clear up with medication.
  • She would not always finish her beloved chewies anymore--she'd guard them, but would not chew them.
  • She was subject to sudden, occasional bouts of vomiting--with no clear cause (being paralyzed and only 7lbs, she seldom gets into contraband, so this was confounding.)
  • She was subject to sudden, occasional bouts of diarrhea (again, this would happen for no apparent reason that we could fathom).
  • Some nights, she would lay next to me, smacking her lips constantly and working her tongue as if she were thirsty (four times in the past few months I had gotten her out of bed in the middle of the night and offered her water--she looked at me as if I'd lost my mind!)
To quote one of my heroes, Gru: "Lightbulb!"
It wasn't that she was licking to taste, she was licking to get rid of a taste. All the rough things, she either had a bad taste in her mouth, a film on her tongue, or both. Hannah is given dog food, an occasional dog biscuit, and her mid-morning chewie--one of those things had to be the culprit. She's been on the food and biscuits all her life, so it had to be the chewie.
The chew bones? But, that couldn't be it, surely? I ran to the treats and checked the bag. "Made In China."
Well, it was worth a shot, so the very next morning I went to the pet store in search of chew bones made in the USA. I switched all three of my babies chewies that day--and saw significant results within a matter of days:
  • The licking slacked off right away--and continues to improve to this day.
  • Hannah was displaying signs of a bladder infection (slimy, strong smelling urine), but I did not put her on antibiotics right away this time, I waited to see if the new chewies would make a difference because antibiotics had not been working lately (the "infection" would go away, but sometimes days after the medication finished.) Her urine cleared up within three days, the slime went away, too, and the cloudy appearance cleared up.
  • The lips smacking all night just stopped.
  • Her bowel movements (we manually empty her three times a day, so we are very "familiar" with the scent!!) were a lot less foul smelling.
  • She has not vomited or had diarrhea since we switched chewies.
  • Her sister, Lai'Lah stopped having occasional loose stool, too.
Here's my thoughts: Whatever chemicals the Chinese rawhide is cured in, is quite possibly toxic. Hannah is more susceptible to ill effects because she is so small--Lai'Lah is larger, so her tolerance is a little better and Shana is bigger and younger, so the effects are not as intense with her either. I am deeply ashamed that it took me so long to go all Zen and figure out what the issue was; I feel my baby suffered unnecessarily. Still, she is doing better now.
Sorry such a long, long post, but I felt I should share.
Kim

southerngirl

Honored Member
SO HAPPY THAT YOU FOUND OUT WHAT WAS CAUSING ALL OF HANNAH"S PROBLEMS:D:D(y):cool: That's great!! Don't blame yourself we do our best for our dogs and sometimes we make mistakes.:) Sure that you know this but keep away from made in china dog food:sick:. Again I'm just really happy Hannah is doing better.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm so glad you realized what was going on before the worst possible happened - and we all know what I'm talking about. Good detective work on your part!! So glad your sweet girl is doing better now. Don't beat yourself up about not realizing it sooner. We should be able to trust what we purchase - but the fact of the matter is, we can't. Sadly, I believe anything produced in China for our pets right now has to be deemed suspect and only speaking personally, I won't come allow my dogs anything from China. The risk is just too great.

Please take a few minutes and do one more thing. Please report your girls illness. So many aren't, so the FDA is sitting back and doing nothing. If they are inundated with reports, they're finally going to have to get off their hind ends and do something - mainly, pull these tainted treats and food from the shelves. No amount of money (in the pockets of the Big Pet Food Industry) is worth the lives of our sweet babies.
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/pet-foodtreat-adverse-event-reports.html
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/report-a-pet-foodtreat-adverse-event.html

Dogster

Honored Member
OMD, I'm so happy for you!!!!!:D GREAT WORK!!!! It sounds like Hannah's doing Much, MUCH better now. I'm so glad she's okay. I would stay away from food, treats, bones, anything made in China. There are many health problems related to dog food made in China, I hear some stories every year.O_o You should always check the label, always. I don't buy anything made in China, I really don't trust their products.:sick: I agree with everything jackienmutts said. Report Hannah's ilness. I would report the loose stool in your other girls too. Who knows, if you hadn't figured it out, the ilness might have been too much for Hannah....:(

Anneke

Honored Member
I'm so glad you found out what was the problem!!!
I, too, have been checking products for where they are made. I try to get european stuff.
I hear a lot of bad things about the stuff coming from China:(

Kim Abston

Thank you everyone! Honestly, I was torn between throwing up and jumping for joy when I figured it out... I have always fed my dogs Science Diet and police everything they eat, but never thought to look at their chew bones until now. Hannah is especially vulnerable because she is, elderly (she's 12), disabled and so tiny. She's also a cancer survivor--the vet gave her three months to live four years ago. Part of the reason I had the lightbulb moment is that about a year ago I made some pesto and the pine nuts I purchased for the recipe left me with the nastiest, bitter taste in my mouth for two days. I called the FDA when I pinned down the cause and they told me that they are aware of it and investigating but, thus far, could not determine what the cause is (it could be pesticides, formaldehyde or anything) and they advised me to just stay away from products harvested in China. Great! I have yet to find pine nuts grown anywhere else, so I have just sworn off them for the time being. But, it was empathy that led me to put it all together... my thinking going, "what if it's not something she's trying to get, but rather to get rid of, maybe it's a bad taste... if it's anything like those Chinese pine nuts tasted, I'd be licking bricks, too... wait, Chinese... could she be eating anything Chinese? Ohhh... !!"

I most certainly will drop a dime to the FDA. My guess is formaldehyde and I'm just grateful I had been giving Hannah size appropriate chewies. If I had been giving her BIG bones, she might be gone now. As it is, my girls are napping comfortably beside me and I am most grateful to have them.

Thank you for your input and understanding--I felt like such a bad parent.
Regards,
Kim

MaryK

Honored Member
So VERY happy you found the cause. Little Hannah is just so cute and sweet, LOVE the pic:love: Am checking my dog's food right now!!!!!!! We get a lot of Chinese imports and I never buy them, but partner's only just learning to check labels (after I vomited eating 'free range eggs' which we found out later were imported from Thailand!!!:sick: never buy eggs at the supermarket now).

Our dogs really do communicate to us and well done for 'listening'.:D(y) Please don't beat up on yourself, we all make mistakes, we're human:D And I see you're already going to report the 'bad' food. Heaven only knows what's used in the processing!

Thank you very much for the share, it helps us all to know these things.

MaryK

Honored Member
Will do Pawbla, thanks, most here is from China, if it's imported that is, we get some from the States, Hills is one which comes instantly to mind, so will watch even more closely:D

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh no. I looked at the label of Shivon's jerky treats (something new I recently bought) and they were made in China!!!!:eek::mad: I feel so stupid!!!!!:oops: Why the heck didn't I check the label?!?!?!:mad::oops: I threw them out right away.:sick: I've been so careful until now... OMD... Thankfully Shivon is okay.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hey, don't beat yourself up, it happens, but you see? It does take a village sometimes to raise a puppy. :D We're all here looking out for each other. Timely that it came today, as a reminder to you - and whoever else ... to take a look. Maybe that came and saved one dog. Maybe Shivon. And if so, then it served it's purpose. (y) Thing is, you'll remember next time to always look - and that "Product of China" is usually printed so tiny at the bottom it's hard to see sometimes. :confused: That article surely was an eye-opener. A maddening one. :mad:

Dogster

Honored Member
Thanks.:) I don't know why I didn't check the label though, I always check it twice, and make sure it's a trusted brand. No more new treats, I'll stick with the ones I have and homemade ones.(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
Great warning, thank you:) It will also wake up my partner, as he's TOTALLY against any form of additive in food for us, but has thought that if the label on dog food read 'no added additives' 'completely natural' etc., that it was fine and hasn't checked the country of origin.

And yes the C.O.R. is in very fine print. Also have to watch out, here anyway, for where some of the 'imported ingredients' come from, that too is in very fine print.

Fortunately, I have never bought the jerky "PHEW" but am going to check labels even more carefully than ever.

It's horrible, our pets caught up in politics makes me so mad:mad::mad::mad: