Lin-zee's Latest Trick

DaniG

Started working on this one the other day, kind of on accident. It was a session where we were working handstand & bow, and she started to do this behavior, so I started to capture it :D

Also, as promised.... my super awesome Tie-Dye pajama pants!! :ROFLMAO:

Amateur

Experienced Member
I gotta buy me some new jammies to keep up with you guys

Scoot to me is when my dog drags his ichy butt across the rug in a sitting position

... I like your version much better.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
darn! i could not see the crazy pjs!! it was too dark!

It almost appears you are treating either prior to,
or during the click,
but, i can't see well, i could be wrong. and wow, your box-clicker is so loud, i hope you are not holding that clicker too close to dog's ears? you can add bit of tape or putty to the metal part, it can soften the click down....

AT ANY RATE, VERY CUTE TRICKS!!!!!! YAY!

DaniG

I know, the lighting in my apartment is not very good! And I haven't set up my really good webcam to this computer yet - this one came with one built in to it. But it is not very good at all.

I have considered your suggestion to add tape to my clicker, however I think the tininess of my apartment (at 450 sq ft I do mean TINY) and the close proximity to the computer is amplifying the click in the videos quite a bit. When we train outside (which is where we do a lot of our training) the click is not loud at ALL. I just never shoot any videos out there because I don't have anywhere to set my computer up. At any rate, it is behind my back, or next to my leg, I don't quite remember and its hard to tell from the video.

As far as my click/treating is concerned, she is getting a click THEN the treat. It most likely looks like she is getting it at the same time because we are still in the luring stage. Because I am luring her backwards, my hand with the treat in it goes near her nose and she starts to try to get the treat. But I do not actually remove my fingers until AFTER the click, and because the tiny treat is already in my hand and I only have to move a finger, she quickly inhales it.

DaniG

"Scoot to me is when my dog drags his ichy butt across the rug in a sitting position"

:ROFLMAO: I didn't even think of that when I decided to use it for her verbal cue!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh good!
i almost never ever use the lure itself
as the reward.
In some small, tiny way,
that helps my dog slightly sort out in his mind, "this here piece of chicken i am following, is NOT going to be my prize.." ;) that way, when he hears the click,
he does not proceed towards the lure,
but understands, his prize is coming from the dish on the table. In some itty bitty tiny way, that also helps my dog focus on the trick itself not just the food...

yeah, your really loud clicker (compared to volume of your voice on the video) could probably use a dab of putty or tape for "in the house work", especially when you are clicking so close to the dog, seems like.
and my taped up box-clicker is still very easily noticed by my dog:LOL: , even outdoors.

Amateur

Experienced Member
Dani ... Well at least you get a better result .

Hank -- Scoot .... Ewwwwwww

p.s. your dog didnt seem to be scared at all by the "loudness" of the clicker ..
so I was just wondering if it really matters except to annoy TL. ;)
Cant imagine it hurts the dogs hearing when I blast my music way louder than that and they dont even wake up.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO:

lol, i am not the only one who thinks super loud clickers could be annoying to the highly sensitive ears of a dog.

but, there is NO question, that dogs ARE tolerant beings.
I even turn off the rear speakers in my car to make sure i am not hurting my dogs ears with my tunes.

Keeper

Wow! Such a cute dog and so well trained!

Dani ... Well at least you get a better result .

Hank -- Scoot .... Ewwwwwww

p.s. your dog didnt seem to be scared at all by the "loudness" of the clicker ..
so I was just wondering if it really matters except to annoy TL. ;)
Cant imagine it hurts the dogs hearing when I blast my music way louder than that and they dont even wake up.
Also, Amateur this scooting talk is going to ruin my Fourth of July ribs-I'll barf before I even take a bite! :ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
no, near as i could see in a dark room:cool: , the dog did not appear "afraid", i wasn't so much concerned the dog was 'afraid' as much as i have a concernt the dogs ears could hurt.
and yeah,he was focused on that food, that's for sure! FOR REAL, CLICK A BOX CLICKER BY YOUR HEAD,
and consider how much more sensitive your dog's ears are. It hurts.
(it hurts my ears anyway)

and i'd bet, this dog is now probably tolerant of such a loud clicker. but, we all have our own ideas,
but, imo,
just cuz a dog CAN tolerate something,
doesn't mean the dog should have to put up with blaring music, super loud clickers by their heads, etc.
but, to each his own!;)

Amateur

Experienced Member
Hank has never complained about me playing G&R or Iron Maiden all the way up to 11, not a once ...
but heeeeey maybe thats why he doesn't come when called ...

DaniG

Tigerlily - It depends on the behavior I am training, and the stage of the training I am in. In the very beginning stages, I very often reward with the lure. Before I introduce intermittent reinforcement I will lure without the treat in my hand on and off, so after whoever I am working with does the behavior, I reach into my treat pouch or pocket to reward. Obviously this is only a small snapshot of the session, and I only did that once or twice toward the end of the session since this is only her first full session on it. I just find that its easier to phase the lure out when I do it that way, since this way makes them seem to get that just because there is no lure in my hand does not mean they won't get something.

And Amateur, you are right - she is not at all bothered by the loudness of my clicker. She loves that thing, I can't so much as move it from the counter to the table without her ears perking up and running over expecting a session :ROFLMAO:

Keeper

Yeah, I was getting a new clicker and the ones at stores like Petsmart are always so loud or really cheap (Not pricewise). And the others are deafening (I copied your word coloring skills, Tigerlily ;)). I mean, I let my pet come with me to the store and he backed away from the clicker and looked up at me as if to say "Okay, you're still on my good side if you promise not to do that again.
Anyway, I bought the cheap one that will probably only last me a week, a month at the most and am trying to order the iClick before he gets used to the sound this one gives off. Although each clicker sounds pretty much the same, consistency is helpful.
As Tigerlily said, a dog's ears are very sensitive! If it hurts your ears it will obviously hurt your dog's, so don't buy it! And if it sounds a little loud for you but doesn't really hurt, imagine how your dog would feel. Maybe this will help out. Thanks!

DaniG

*She ;) (Lin-Zee is a girl)

And I understand where you are coming from, and I have certainly met some dogs who are sensitive to the loud clickers. But if that were the case, and it was hurting her ears, she would not be NEARLY as eager to have training sessions. If it hurt, no matter how good the food was and how food motivated the dog was, eventually, they would come to fear the clicker, because of the pain it caused. Even the most food motivated dog, when scared, will refuse to to eat or do anything even with a delicious hot dog/steak/you name it in front of them.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//". Before I introduce intermittent reinforcement I will lure without the treat in my hand on and off,"//

ah, i only begin intermittant reinforcement after my dog solidly knows the trick.
but, that's just me.

every lesson, every time, my dog gets prize for doing the trick, or for attempts in the correct direction.
i just don't use the lure for his reward, never have.

Yes, i do think most everyone here will say their dogs RUN when they see the clicker coming out of the drawer.:ROFLMAO: I THINK WE ALL HAVE THAT IN COMMON HERE!!:ROFLMAO:

but, just as an experiment,
hold the clicker near your own head, and click. i'm not thinking your dog is "afraid" not the point at all, i'm just saying, it might be possible you could possibly be hurting your dogs highly sensitive ears, same as kikopup says in reply #9 above,
but,
to each his own!!;)