Limping

chevycgc

I am looking for suggestions on training a dog to limp. I have had a few sessions of just holding the dog's leg up and luring with food. I have also seen the same thing but with a leash holding the dog's leg up.

Any other training variations out there that anyone can suggest?

Thanks,
Sally

leema

The method I heard was: teach your dog a cue for lifting his leg. Give him that cue, then call him. Er, NO, didn't work. :p Not for my dog, anyway.

I know Nereis is teaching limp with success so hopefully she has some suggestions. :D

dat123

Experienced Member
I read somewhere, if you attach a soft lead to the dogs collar, run it down the front leg and tie a gentle knot just back from it's paw, gently lift the lead by it's handle while the dog is in a stand, click and reward. Gradually move slightly away from the dog, doing the same with the lead, so it is forced to move a step towards you while it's paw is in the air. Increase the distance as the dog is getting used to standing on 3 legs. However, I tried this with my dog and it didn't work !
A friend of mine tried; ask the dog to shake ( give paw), while in a stand, click for longer shakes ( lots of repititions ), and eventually lure dog towards treat while holding paw in the air. She has been quite succesful with her kelpie.

leema

Possibly longest video with not much in it ever! But it seems like physical manipulation and repetition is the winner for this one. :)

chevycgc

Yes I have seen Zak's video which lead me to wonder if there might be another way to do it. Or maybe I just haven't given that technique enough time.

Sally

leema

I am trying it with Mac. He has had some practice (knows left and right front paws, holding them at a distance, etc). If he gets it any dog can - he's a bit thick! Will let you know. :p

nereis

I've done this! Possibly the one of the hardest tricks I've taught him, it took forever!

I just couldn't get the lead method to work, so I trained him to lift one paw while standing. Then I had him hold up this paw for longer and longer. Then I got him to step forward while still asking for 'paw'. To begin with, he put his foot down in between steps, so from time to time I held his paw to help him learn he could actually walk on three legs. It was a combination of this and praising like crazy at any slight hint of limping that did it. I use a clicker, so once he had managed to do one step without putting his foot down, I only clicked that or very close attempts, and he soon understood what I wanted him to do.

My hand was red raw with scratches from teaching this :dogtongue2:

chevycgc

Okay so I guess I am in for the long haul and I just haven't put enough time into it yet. He does have a very strong "give me your paw" and it is his default so maybe I can use that to my advantage. We'll see.

Thanks for the responses and if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Sallyh

sammy1

You could target train it. Run a piece of masking tape along the floor about 5 feet long. Teach your dog to target on the tape from a standing position. When he is solid on targeting for about 10 seconds, lure him forward and click for that paw still making contact. You know the rest. Sounds like fun, I may start to train it too.