Lewis - Pomeranian

Honored Member
Name: Lewis
Breed: Pomeranian
Sex: Male (neutered)
Size: 5.8kg (just under 13lbs), and a bit taller than Holly
Nicknames: Poo-wis, Fluff
Favourite food: not sure yet
Favourite things to do: sleep, flick head, chase foot (like chasing tail, but he chases one of his back feet), sleep, annoy me, try to lick me

Interesting fact: He hates peanut butter. I’ve never met a dog that hates peanut butter, but the first time I offered him some he spat it out and now won’t go near it.

Bad Habits:
Being grumpy.
Trying to lick me. I don't really like dogs licking me, Lewis is even worse because he has bad breath (from tartar on his teeth - it's gotten much better though).
Shedding everywhere.
Doesn’t like being left alone.
Making Holly over excited and then getting grumpy because she’s too excited.

Problems:
Lack of confidence, he even stops eating, wags his tail (held low) and looks up so he can be reassured with a “good boy” before continuing his meal (especially breakfast).

Very sensitive. If I tell Holly to stop doing something he races over to me to apologise.

Afraid of strange dogs. It took him a while to get used to Holly and he will now play with her, but he is afraid of other dogs and will growl at them (even if they are paying no attention to him at all, eg., at the vets I was holding him and a dog walked past so he growled).

Afraid of visitors. He barks and growls at people when they come to our house, even people who visit multiple times a week. He calms down if someone calls him to their knee, but he is very grumpy at first.

Can’t be let off the lead. I know it’s still early days, but with his nervous-ness I don’t think we could risk him getting scared and running off, perhaps ever. Update - Lewis can be let off leash at the park with Holly now

Temperament:
Lewis is very happy at home with his family. He bounces around and smiles a lot. Every time I ask him to sit he grins and does a head flick while planting his butt on the floor with a lot of enthusiasm. He does a lot of play bows, especially at human family members. Lewis is very demanding when he wants a cuddle, he paws at me and tries to lick me (when we got him his nails were way too long so I ended up with scratches all over my arms from him wanting a cuddle), if I push him away he comes straight make with his paws. He’s a real “lap dog”.
Lewis seems to enjoy being groomed now. When we first got him he would stand on the grooming mat shaking the entire time and I only risked doing a little bit at a time. Now he tries to climb onto the grooming mat on the table before I’m ready and is extremely co-operative (eg, stands well and rolls onto his back so I can do his tummy). The treat at the end probably helps.

Photo’s:

Tricks: Lewis is my mums dog but I have taught him some tricks
1. Sit
2. Down
3. Shake paw
4. Wait (to be released to his dinner bowl)
5. Loose leash walking (he is weirdly awesome at this – maybe it is due to his lack of confidence)
6. Spin (blur of fur)
7. Hand target
8. Stay (needs a lot of proofing)

MaryK

Honored Member
He's a cutie pie!

With visitors, have him sit (maybe on his leash) and get your visitors to only feed/click/treat when he's sitting nicely.

With the guarding, just quietly put him down, if he's on your lap, no punishment, just ignore him or walk away if you're standing, again ignore him and have everyone else ignore him too DON'T try to make a fuss of him as this will reinforce the negative. Then when he's sat like a good boy, and isn't growling at people, click/treat. Give him about five seconds at first of sit like a good boy, then increase the duration as he improves.

You're doing so well with him he's come a long way in a very short time(y):D

Honored Member
He's a cutie pie!

With visitors, have him sit (maybe on his leash) and get your visitors to only feed/click/treat when he's sitting nicely.

With the guarding, just quietly put him down, if he's on your lap, no punishment, just ignore him or walk away if you're standing, again ignore him and have everyone else ignore him too DON'T try to make a fuss of him as this will reinforce the negative. Then when he's sat like a good boy, and isn't growling at people, click/treat. Give him about five seconds at first of sit like a good boy, then increase the duration as he improves.

You're doing so well with him he's come a long way in a very short time(y):D
I think he would just get even more upset if I put him on a leash. He doesn't go up to visitors, he stands a couple of meters away barking and then growling, if they approach him he backs away so I would not want to stop him backing away if that's what he needs to do. It doesn't really take him too long to calm down, and everyone just ignores him because he is little so no one is scared and he isn't trying to attack or anything, he's only snapped while sitting on me or mum.

I started a thread about his possible resource guarding

Gordykins

Experienced Member
What a handsome guy! I love his coloring.

I never knew a dog who disliked peanut butter existed!!! Gordy says Lewis can send all of his peanut butter this way... peanut butter is one of Gordy's favorites!

Honored Member
What a handsome guy! I love his coloring.

I never knew a dog who disliked peanut butter existed!!! Gordy says Lewis can send all of his peanut butter this way... peanut butter is one of Gordy's favorites!
Thank you

Peanut butter cannot leave our house - Holly loves it!

Lewis is so funny about it, he's all "what treat are you going to give me? what treat? you gave Holly some and she's loving it, where's mine?" and then I offer him the peanut butter and he pulls a face and then actually physically backs away from it :ROFLMAO:

Honored Member
He's sounds like a diffrent dog than the one you brought home. I'm glad he's settled in.
Thank you,
overall he is doing well, there is just a few things to sort out.

He's still afraid of the dog door, wont go near it. He wont even walk through a hula hoop to get a treat so I think it is going to take a looong time before he is willing to go through the dog door, let alone open it himself

Honored Member
Oh my goodness, you need to get that on video! :ROFLMAO:

Lewis is quite handsome and dignified.

Maybe peanut butter is too..."common" for him. Have you tried Pâté de foie gras...maybe that is more to his taste? :cool:
He might look dignified but he isn't.
He barks a lot at everything and in particular hates our chickens, my sisters rabbit, our neighbours and one of our cats, we are pretty sure he is insulting them and saying some pretty horrible stuff, especially to the cat because when he was sleeping upstairs he saw it when in his crate (the cat is 18 and mostly live upstairs). One minute he walks past them then the next he shouts his head off at them :confused: .
He also tells visitors off. I don't think he's very scared because if I call him when he's insulting things he runs over to me with a grin and a wagging tail. I think he's just being a jerk O_o .
He also grumps at me if I walk down the stairs too slowly in the morning because he wants his breakfast :rolleyes: