Levi, Xena & Me

sara

Staff member
Nope the black mask is hidden by the merle, the only reason I say black mask, is his face is blue merle, meaning he has to have a black to start with. Merle is really fascinating.

Merle is a dominant gene that is caused by dilution of the "proper" colour, it affects random areas, so that's why you see splotches. Sometimes merle is hidden by certain colours, as those colours aren't affected by merle, like yellow or sable. Which is why you'll see a blue merle with tan markings that have no splotches on them, the merle is only affecting the black part of the coat. Blue merle is actually a black dog, with the dilution causing some areas to appear grey.

Both of my little Dachshunds are what's called double merle (or dapple as the colour is called in Dachshunds), meaning both their parents are dapples, and they got a merle gene from each of their parents. Mouse is what's called a "black and tan double dapple" or if she was any other breed she'd be called a "blue double merle" I have no clear idea what Boo is, as his colours are really wonky, but I'm thinking he's a chocolate tweed double dapple. His black is not black, it's a really dark brown, with a true chocolate colour, a light brown and a really light yellow, and his spots are small enough to almost be called flecks. Not normal colours, that's for sure.

I honestly dont believe that an ACD x Aussie can be the colour of your gorgeous boy, and black masks do not appear in either breed, but I could be wrong, I am not an expert on those breeds by any means.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh wow.....:eek: Merle is complicated.... wow, it's actually a black dog???? That is SOOO COOL!!!! You learn something new every day!!!!! Wow Sara, you're a REAL exper on merle!!!! (must be 'cause your doxies are double merle, lol.:LOL:)

sara

Staff member
Oh wow.....:eek: Merle is complicated.... wow, it's actually a black dog???? That is SOOO COOL!!!! You learn something new every day!!!!! Wow Sara, you're a REAL exper on merle!!!! (must be 'cause your doxies are double merle, lol.:LOL:)

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching deaf dogs, and colours, and therefor merle :)

If you want to learn more about merle patterns, and Aussie colours, here are a couple of websites I have spent alot of time on :)

http://www.ashgi.org/color/index.html

http://www.lethalwhites.com/

As far as I can tell, Levi is a yellow merle, possibly a pattern white, or a piebald (hard to tell from the angle of the pics, as only one is a body shot) with a black mask... which I have found absolutely no sign of in the websites I have looked at.

He would have ticking if he was a first gen Aussie x ACD, unless both his parents were Aussie x ACD, then he might lose the ACD ticking.

Either way, I think the guy that bred them didn't tell the truth, or the mailman's dog got at the bitch before the ACD did LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"I have so many hilarious stories of the stunts he pulls."//

I LOVE HILARIOUS OR CRAZY DOG STORIES!! Anytime you want to share these, we're here!! :ROFLMAO:

LeviTheOutlaw

Well, what ever he is... He's a rockin doggy (y)

The 3 of us went to the dog park this morning. He chased the ball until his tongue was draggin the ground. It's nice an quiet in the house now.... everyones all crapped out lol

LeviTheOutlaw

Sara - Yeah he could be anything. I have also thought his markings are very interesting. I looked online at pics of aussies and heelers. I don't see much heeler resemblance in his either. But I have seen pics of aussies that look like him, but his colors are definitely uncommon.

Here is a pic of him that I found and a couple I took real quick. Mind you he is still dirty and sleepy from the dog park. You may not be able to tell, but the fur at the back of his front and back legs is quite long. It's just a little tangled from the mud he was in today. Also, when he's alert and excited, his tail up and curled over his back. It's really pretty...ooo sorry Levi...handsome...lol

IMG_2122.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

LeviTheOutlaw

Yeah I had no idea how complicated all the colors and markings are. Luckily, I don't really care what breed he is. I wanted an aussie because I love how energetic and athletic they are but I love him to peices. But it would, just for the fun of it, to find out what he is exactly.

Dogster

Honored Member
Thanks for the links, Sara!!!!! I will DEFINATELY read them, sometime...:)
And HAHAHAHA, Levi is ONE TIRED dog!!!!!:D

sara

Staff member
He is just stunning!!! You got one awesome dog there!

Breed guessing is a hobby of mine, as is merle colouration :) So you'll have to excuse me. As you say it really doesn't matter. But after seeing his broadside shots, I would almost guess Rough Collie (lassie) which would explain the cool ear set, and the yellow colour.

I play the guessing game with my dogs too :p

LeviTheOutlaw

You know... now that you say rough collie... He kinda does. I think even his tail reminds me of a collie. I'll have to try to get a pic of his tail. Except I've never seen a collie curl their tail up, but who knows. I've always thought aussies were born without tails. My beloved childhood down was a collie named Tigger. It is fun to try and figure it out. Do you know if those breed tests really work?

Tigger was the most amazing dog I've ever been around. it was like he came prewired with no training needed. I was very young when we got him, but my mom said neither of my parents ever had to train him... he just already knew what to do. She also used to let him "babysit" my infant brother before he could crawl. She would lay tigger down and lean the baby up against him and go do what she had to do around the house, the dog would not move a muscle until she came back. As we got older he would follow us every where. He would separate us when we got into fights. Keep us away from anyone he didn't know. Let me dress him up like an over sized doll. Truly awesome dog. I have really been blessed with all the Dogs I've had in my life. I can't imagine life without dogs. I'll have to find the pic I have of halloween when I was about 5 years old. I was pooh bear, my dad was christopher robin and good ole tigger was Eeyore. lol

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow, Tigger sounds like one AMAZING dog!!!!:LOL:

Aussies have their tail when they're born.(y) It's docked.:cry: Oh, but Anneke (a member on this site) has 2 Aussies, Cooper and Jinx (and Cooper has his tail) I think Cooper's tail looks like Levi's, yeah!!!(y)

LeviTheOutlaw

Oh ok, I thought I read that they were born without tails. I understand why working aussies would need their tails docked. but I'm glad levi still has his tails.

I saw the pics of Cooper and jinx. They are beautiful dogs!!!

LeviTheOutlaw

yeah would be a little strange if he had more then one...

with all his shedding tho I've probably removed enough fur for 3 or 4 tails.

sara

Staff member
Aussies can be born with or without tails, and their tails do curl up when they have one.