Lets Make Mary K Into An Awesome Stress-free Dog Photographer

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you so much Sara:)(y) I'm bursting to try everything out now - total change from my mindset of recent times. Sadly, the weather isn't co-operating at all. It's very gloomy and overcast, the 'lawn' (what's left after Rakins using it for soccer practice) is a hippo's wallow more mud and puddles but am going to try anyway. In between the rain I hope. Failing all else, going to study camera and get close up and personal with it, find all those elusive buttons and what they mean:DPlus all the help on this thread, so it's really in my mind, then my reactions will be 'automatic'. Lightening is a big downfall for me, I just have never got it 'right' but now understand so much better what is required to get a really good photo.

Dogster

Honored Member
I knew there was another thread out there somewhere... I remember helping Tigerlily with taking pics...:)

It's hard to get good lighting, especially with a black dog. Don't worry, you'll get better at it!! :D

Dogster

Honored Member
That's AMAZING!!!!:eek: :D Would totally get a photo session like that of Shivon, if I hd the money, that is.:cautious: I'll do my own sessions.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Absolutely amazing photographs. Would love to get a session like that with my boys.

The only animal photographer around here does the 'posed portrait' in studio style photos and whilst the are very good, I LOVE the natural ones, taken outside where the dogs/cats/horses really show their true inner selves off.

In the meantime, I'll keep practicing and learning to get my own great photos.

Thank you Jean for the link.:)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Fabulous link, Jean!! Those photos are are just amazin!! I love looking at pics like that because in addition to their beauty, it's fun to also get ideas for pics or angles or things to try with our own. Thanks for posting it!! (y):cool:

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree Jackie, I realized too that you don't have to have the entire dog showing in the photos. Think I have a few of those, Rakins moves so quickly!

I did do some work yesterday, despite the weather, and will upload the best, if there are any, either today or tomorrow. Then await your comments as to what I could do better, as I'm not too sure how well I went:confused: Weekend here so have to 'share' the computer with partner:(

And I had FUN for the first time ever taking photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D(y)

Plus one to prove I did get down and dirty, LOL had to put my clean jeans straight into the washing machine more mud on them almost, than on Rakins:ROFLMAO:

Evie

Experienced Member
Weather is pretty awesome today, and is only going to get better over the next two day Mary, so should have some good photo opportunities coming up :D

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes, sun is shining here, haven't fully check out the mud in what was once a lawn. Going to get out again and practice, around sunset, LOL haven't made sunrise yet, though Rakins wouldn't be adverse to that time.

Maybe can get Zeus out, he's been hibinating for the last few days, just races out for nature's call and back inside again:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Well two late afternoons practicing and I can really see an improvement. Quite pleased with some of the photos and others, hit the delete. I will upload the best and muddiest but am almost over my download limit, so will wait until September 1, because if I go over everything loads slower than a wounded snail, or just doesn't load at all!

I have two queries. The light wasn't good on either day. I think my flash came on automatically and has ruined two good photos - his eyes are green blobs. Any way I can prevent this?

Second, my camera seems to take forever in between shots. With a very fast moving model, most of the time, this can be a bit frustrating as I just get him in focus click and nothing happens! Why/what is causing this? LOL have a few of a 'disappearing' tail/bare ground etc.

LOL probably my pink barbie camera isn't fast enough?

Have one photo in particular I'm chuffed about, caught him (without realizing) right in the middle of licking his nose - looks so cute!

All your help has been amazing and yes, I know I can do it, can only get better!

Can really see why getting down (and very muddy) makes for much better photos and also just clicking away. Once I upload, would appreciate your comments and suggestions as to how I can improve. Wow taking photos is FUN think I'm addicted now:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Try buying a faster memory card. There is a difference :)
Oh thank you Sara I had absolutely NO idea memory cards made a difference. Not sure what's in the camera at present. I do know my partner bought a larger memory card and put it in before he gave me the camera.

What do you recommend?

And Sara, once I can upload without being down graded to snail speed, I'll upload some muddy dog photos just for you:LOL: And believe me they ARE muddy dog photos!!!!!!!!!

sara

Staff member
Size doesn't matter. Speed does. Some memory cards are designed for fast photo taking. they are very expensive. that's why you'll see the same size memory card at different prices. some are faster than others :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Size doesn't matter. Speed does. Some memory cards are designed for fast photo taking. they are very expensive. that's why you'll see the same size memory card at different prices. some are faster than others :)
Aha! Thank you Sara, boy am I learning a lot, I had no idea about memory cards at all - not even the prices:( Just used what was in the camera. So I'd be better off with maybe a smaller card but for faster photo taking?

I'll have to check the prices and will work towards getting a fast photo taking memory card, as I am not exaggerating, but Rakins just flies and it's impossible to do much with this one when he's in Super Dog Mode! LOL got some really lovely snaps of disappearing tails, wet ground and such:D:rolleyes:. Got the photos once he'd slowed down quite a bit, which means I hang around for a looooooooooooooooooong time:rolleyes: twisting around and feeling hopeful!

MaryK

Honored Member
Can't wait to see them!!! :cool::LOL:
Three days for me, then ISP resets the download! It's a real pain, the other ISP didn't slow you down because you could use the 'after midnight till 6.a.m.' hours for 'free'. I am not happy with this one at all:cry:

Hope at least one will be worth the wait - I'm still a leaner:D

Evie

Experienced Member
Aha! Thank you Sara, boy am I learning a lot, I had no idea about memory cards at all - not even the prices:( Just used what was in the camera. So I'd be better off with maybe a smaller card but for faster photo taking?

I'll have to check the prices and will work towards getting a fast photo taking memory card, as I am not exaggerating, but Rakins just flies and it's impossible to do much with this one when he's in Super Dog Mode! LOL got some really lovely snaps of disappearing tails, wet ground and such:D:rolleyes:. Got the photos once he'd slowed down quite a bit, which means I hang around for a looooooooooooooooooong time:rolleyes: twisting around and feeling hopeful!

With most digital cameras, if you're taking a picture of a moving object it makes it easier if you 'half click' the "take a picutre" button first(and hold it there). This tells the camera to focus, then when the exact moment comes that you want to capture in a photo, you click the button the rest of the way down and it's an instant picture. This basically avoids having that delay that you get when taking pictures normally. eg. press button, wait 2 seconds for camera to actually take picture - mean while Ra is over the other side of the yard no where near where he was when you pressed the button. It makes it sooooo much easier to actually get said moving object (Ra) in the picture :p

Hopefully that paragraph made some sense. I've just gotten home from work and I'm tired and going to bed lol - work in the morning too :(