Labrador Huskies

sara

Staff member
Nope, I certainly have never heard of them... I would think it may be something like Alaskan Huskies? Basically not a purebred, but bred for a purpose? hmmmn, off to do some googling!

sara

Staff member
K did some googling, basically, I was right. They are a very old breed, isolated from other northern breeds, so were very pure for a long time. They are quite rare now, but there are breeders dedicated to making the breed a heritage dog of Labrador, and hopefully, in time the breed will prosper. Something I found quite interesting. they were commonly allowed to inter breed with Wolves, and carry some wolf-like characteristics.

My curiosity has been piqued, and now must know more!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I hadn't heard of this breed either and had to look it up! I also found them interesting and I hope to learn more! Probably not the breed for me personally, but definitely looks like an interesting breed!

mewzard

Experienced Member
Ah .... having googled them they are stunning!! They are somewhat similar to the Northern Inuit; who were bred in England to create a wolf-look-alike dog. My Oka comes from this type of dog you can see some beautiful examples here: http://www.sansorrella.com/introduction.htm
They seem to have very similar traits too. NI's are smart and think for themselves, they do not forget, they will do as they please if you are not a strong leader, but are very happy if given strong fair rules that are stuck too. Good with people and other dogs. Not sure about the Labrador Husky but Northern Inuits are very boisterious in play and it sounds awful if you are not used to it! They are said to have wolf blood in them too but no one seems to know if thats true or not...though i would doubt it, as wolf-dog crosses are not good pets in the slightest!

sara

Staff member
I know alot of people with wolf hybrids, they can and do make good pets. I knew a guy who had a dog who was 75% wolf, and was an awesome companion and friend, he was great with other dogs, well trained, and bomb-proof. I wouldn't recommend them for the novice owner, but they can make good pets.