Kricket & I

KatieMarie

Hello, I am new to the forum, led here by my growing passion for training my dog. I own a 2 1/2 year old Labradoodle named Kricket. She is in SAR and Agility training, and I've also just recently started trick training her and am introducing the clicker. I am almost 13 years old and live in Florida. I am an equestrian with a love for all animals. So, again, hello! I can't wait to get started.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA!!! I have a 2 year old 33 pound goldendoodle! Cant wait to see pictures! What tricks does Kricket know? I am also 13!

KatieMarie

Welcome to DTA!!! I have a 2 year old 33 pound goldendoodle! Cant wait to see pictures! What tricks does Kricket know? I am also 13!
Awesome! Kricket is around 45 lbs..although I haven't weighed her in a while.
Her trick list is short, but that's okay. She does all obediance commands, agility obstacle commands and she knows crawl, peek-a-boo and we're working on bow, sit pretty and getting all four feet on a pedestal.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
You can find some of Carmels tricks on our youtube channel Carmel and Shivon. (shivon is my friends dog and she is also a member here). By the way sit pretty can take a while to teach so don't worry if your dog isint getting it!

KatieMarie

You can find some of Carmels tricks on our youtube channel Carmel and Shivon. (shivon is my friends dog and she is also a member here). By the way sit pretty can take a while to teach so don't worry if your dog isint getting it!
Okay, I will look you up for sure! And yeah, I've read about the balance issue and such. I already posted a thread in the "help" section. hahha. :oops:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Welcome :) and as for sit pretty it can take a bit but she'll get there when i first started teaching Bella a few months ago she was up then straight down now she can hold it for a bit :) just takes time as they need to get muscle memory.

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome!!!!! I'm also 13!!!!!!:D Glad you decided to join!!!! I can't wait what tricks you'll teach Kricket next!!!!!
<------- Shivon(y)

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA!

I find that using a target stick was best for teaching the beg. I couldn't get any duration to the trick, until I started using the stick. Both Oliver and Mouse are really good at it now :)

KatieMarie

Welcome :) and as for sit pretty it can take a bit but she'll get there when i first started teaching Bella a few months ago she was up then straight down now she can hold it for a bit :) just takes time as they need to get muscle memory.
So how long do you think it will take my dog to develop her balance? Or does that vary?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I think it varies and depends on how often you get her to do it once she gets the general idea. It took Bella a couple of months i think, i was only doing about 3 or 4 training sessions of it a week.

KatieMarie

I think it varies and depends on how often you get her to do it once she gets the general idea. It took Bella a couple of months i think, i was only doing about 3 or 4 training sessions of it a week.
Alright. We do several sessions a day but only about 4 'beg' sessions a week, so I'm expecting it to take some time. that's alright, I'd rather her not be injured!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Katie, my dog's beg is still not great, either, not nearly as long as i want it to be...yet.
My dog is sort of chest-heavy dog, a slightly thicker bodied dog, not a real slender slim BC like some BCs are, maybe that is part of my dog's trouble, not sure.

KatieMarie

This was Bella towards the start of her beg training
Well this sure is depressing, lol. I have a "crossover" dog, and she doesn't know how to think for herself at all. So right now, I'm putting her in a sit, standing behind her and helpin to hold her chest. I'm going to try the 101 things to do with a box to hopefully get her thinking for herself.

Katie, my dog's beg is still not great, either, not nearly as long as i want it to be...yet.
My dog is sort of chest-heavy dog, a slightly thicker bodied dog, not a real slender slim BC like some BCs are, maybe that is part of my dog's trouble, not sure.
I have heard that your dogs body shape and such can cause issues with it, but don't give up hope! haha. I'm sure not going to. :D