Kong Toys

Honored Member
Hi,

I got Holly (6 and a half month old pug cross) a small classic (not a puppy one) kong, for dogs up to 9kg (she weighs 5kg)

I bought it for her yesterday and she had some food in it last night and then again tonight (that's two uses total) and I bet you can guess what's happened...

she has already riped it open :eek:

I thought kongs were supposed to be tough O_o and they are not cheap.

So do you think I should get her an exteme kong or do you think the kong is defective given that it has lasted two days and she is only a small young dog?

sara

Staff member
You should be able to take it back. onl,y two uses is ridiculous! they have a satisfaction guarantee

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow:eek: Maybe you should get her the extreme one, but supervise her so she won't try and rip it up.

Honored Member
Yeah, it says that for extreme chewers you should get a size bigger and/or get an extreme kong, but I really didn't think she would be an extreme chewer yet (she is pretty tough though so thats why I didn't get her a puppy one) and she is well under the 9kgs that the small kongs are meant for.

I was supervising her so she did only manage to rip one piece of the rubber off before I got the kong off her, I really didn't think she would manage to break it. :confused:

I'm going to take the kong back to the petshop today and see if I can upgrade it to a medium sized extreme one.

I really do want her to be able to use kongs because it kept her busy for a good half hour getting the food out (I froze it to make it even harder) before she broke it.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Zara is an extreme chewer and so far we have found the black extreme kong is fine and okra toys are good aswell she has both of those with her and not chewed any off yet

Honored Member
I took it back to the petshop and at first they didn't seem like they were going to do anything because it's a dog toy and there is no guarantee that the dog wont destroy it even given the situation, but then one of the other petshop people said there might have been a bubble in the rubber which made it weaker so Holly was able to rip a piece off. So they got our details and said the Kong rep was going to be visiting on Monday so they would talk to him about it.

Hopefully we will be able to just pay the $1 difference between the small classic kong and the extreme black one

Honored Member
We picked up the new kong today, a medium sized black extreme kong so hopefully it lasts a while.
We also got some Nylabone nutri dent chews.
We gave her one and timed how long it took her to eat it - 2 minutes
and she's halfway through one of her other chew toys,
does it matter that she eats the plastic?

What other toys or chewy treats (she can get through a raw hide shoe really fast too) do you think would be good for my little extreme chewer? (remember she is a small dog so really large toys wont work if they don't fit in her mouth)