Keeping Your Dog Cool

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
In my part of the world, it's summer...and as Hollywood shows, Texas summers are HOT.
Here are some suggestions for keeping your dog cool!
Fans(with or without misters)--You can find small or large fans with prices ranging from $15 on up. Misters attach to your water hose and go around the fan cage. Turn on the hose, turn on the fan, and you have a nice, cool mist. Misters can cost as little as $8.
-There is also a different variation of misters that you do not need a fan for. They attach to your water hose and are usually made of PVC pipe and stand up.
I'm not sure where to get them...I haven't been able to find them in a few years, but they work great. They are relatively inexpensive and you can enjoy them too. =)

Kiddie Pools--Kiddie pools range from $8-$25, depending on size. You have to keep kiddie pools clean, and wash them out regularly. Mosquitoes love standing water, and if you allow the water to get dirty and stay that way for weeks at a time, you'll have mosquito heaven. Nonetheless, kiddie pools are a great way to keep your dog cool. This may take some careful introduction, as some dogs aren't too crazy about getting in until they realize that it's cool and not scary. =)

Grooming--Keeping up with your dog's grooming is a must, especially in the warmer months. If you don't help the dog get rid of all his winter hair, then it will be harder for him to cool off. Furminators, shedding knifes, ShedEnders, and many other deshedding tools are great to use on your dog. I haven't used every shedding knife on the market, so I can't really recommend one in particular. :dogblush: But, you can ask your groomer or vet for a recommendation there. Shedding tools can be as cheap as $10 or upwards of $40. Along with simple brushing, clipping may be an option for your long-haired dog. Some dogs' coats may grow back thicker or just different, which can be a problem. Again, call up a groomer and ask for advice. If you want to clip your dog yourself, you can send your dog to a groomer the first time and use that as a tutorial. Clipping is not very hard if you're just wanting to shorten the coat. Grooming prices vary depending on the breed of dog. Clipper prices vary a lot depending on what you're wanting and what brand they are. Most simple dog clippers are less than $160. Keeping them cleaned, oiled, and the blades sharp will help your clippers last quite a while. Clipper guards will keep you from accidentally cutting the dog, and will help you keep all of the fur the same length. Keep in mind that you must be very careful and introduce the dog to the clippers slowly, or you can really hurt the dog.

Shade--Shade cloth comes in rolls of varying colors and lengths. It can cost $12-$25, unless you're wanting to buy large quantities. You can cover dog runs with it, or you can put some short pieces of pipe or wood a few inches in the ground and stretch the shade cloth over the top of the pipes/posts. It's not too hard and works very well. You can also plant a tree, but it won't really provide shade for a while. Shade cloth is usually carried at any Home Depot, Sutherland's, Lowe's, or any other home and garden store.

It is always imporant to make sure your dog has access to cool, clean water. If anyone else has any suggestions on keeping your dog cool, feel free to post them here!

shegen

Thanks for the tips. I think my dogs would appreciate a pool. Hell, I'd appreciate a pool.
:dogbiggrin:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks Sarha! Those are neat; I've never heard of them before. Might have to check into getting one of those. :dogwub: :dogwub:

stormi

As well as the reflective coats that sarhaspups suggested you can get ones made of a foam type material that holds water...they are excellent and keep the dogs really cool...when the coat starts to dry out just put cold water into them again :dogsmile:

l_l_a

what great suggestions!! it's getting hot here in colorado too. My dog is more of a cold-weather lover, so finding ways to keep him cool in summer is always a challenge.

I also wanted to add, when it comes to putting your dog in the car, it helps to first open all the doors in the car and let it stay like that for a few minutes, before actually putting your dog in. Sometimes we are in a hurry to get going, but this can really make a big difference in the comfort level of the dog!

bullysheful

That would be great , mine would love it but then i will need to create the waves for him because he loves them.I took him to the beach for few times but only very early in the morning or really late , before night and when people leave the beach.They brag a lot:(

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. =) |_|_a, good tips on keeping cool in the car! Hope everyone's keeping cool this summer. :dogsmile:

luna may

Thankies! =)
Good tips, everyone! I'm going to try them out for myself! (Kesem is invited to join me, but only if she want's to ;))

liowkc

If you live in a warm climate, paint your doghouse white. This will reflect rather than absorb llght and make the doghouse cooler.