Keep Away

mamespell

Hi all,

I have a little black shih-tzu named Tony. He's smart, charming and well-behaved.....except when he finds a ball at the dog park. Once he has that ball, he won't give it up to anybody. He won't come when I call, he won't be bribed with treats, and you just can't catch him. To him, it's a game of keep away. I'm at the point where I can't take him to the park any longer because of this problem. That really sucks, because his favourite thing to do is run and the park is the only place where he has that opportunity. When a ball isn't involved, he has no issues with coming when he is called. He'll play fetch in the house and drop the toy on command. I'm really at the end of my rope here. Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

mamespell

That's something to think about. My knee-jerk reaction is "that's kinda self-defeating", but he's smart enough that being stuck on a lead while all the other dogs are running around may have an impact. Thank you for taking the time to respond Linda.:)

And I totally agree with you southerngirl about not bringing toys into the park. It's even on the rule board at the entrance gate "No Toys Allowed!" Unfortunately, there are many people who feel that rules just don't apply to them. It's frustrating to say the least.

kcmetric

Definitely no leashes at a dog park, not only does it cause fights but it causes injuries too (tripping).

I'd try an automatic leave it with toys on the ground. Your dog can only pick up the toy if you say so. I do this with my dogs for any kind of leave it as I know I may not only always be able to see something I don't want them eating before they see it. Basically you teach leave it but don't add a cue. The cue you use is for take it instead.

dsmbcs

hi, I am brand new to this forum. I have a 13 month BC that I have been working on stopping the keep away/chase me game. It is best to work on it at home and works best with a toy that you can tug with. Start with a ball on a rope or any tug and a small area with few distractions. start by building value for playing with you by just tugging, taking the toy and then start tugging again. basically you want to do a few quick play sessions so the dog learns how much fun it is to play with you. Now move to the next step, set the toy down and see what your dog does. If he picks up the toy and brings it to you, reward with play. But if he tries to play by himself, turn your back on him. Get still and quiet, be boring. Remember, you are starting this in a small area like a bathroom or bedroom. Ultimately your dog will get bored and either drop the toy or bring it back to you, that is when you take the toy and play another rousing game of tug. Stay in the smaller area until your dog is pretty convinced that your are the only thing that makes the toy fun. if you do this 2-3 times a day for no more than 5 minutes, you will progress very quickly. Now move to a slightly bigger area - still confined/safe- don't worry if your dog reverts back to keep away, don't chase or call your dog. Just stick to the routine of going still and boring but big party if he comes back. try this in different locations, and build up distractions, maybe ask a friend with a well behaved dog to just come over and stand in your back yard with her dog on leash while you play. While you are working on this, don't let your dog get rewarded for keep away by being chased by you or another dog. you'll get there!

Golden River of Dreams

Experienced Member
hi, I am brand new to this forum. I have a 13 month BC that I have been working on stopping the keep away/chase me game. It is best to work on it at home and works best with a toy that you can tug with. Start with a ball on a rope or any tug and a small area with few distractions. start by building value for playing with you by just tugging, taking the toy and then start tugging again. basically you want to do a few quick play sessions so the dog learns how much fun it is to play with you. Now move to the next step, set the toy down and see what your dog does. If he picks up the toy and brings it to you, reward with play. But if he tries to play by himself, turn your back on him. Get still and quiet, be boring. Remember, you are starting this in a small area like a bathroom or bedroom. Ultimately your dog will get bored and either drop the toy or bring it back to you, that is when you take the toy and play another rousing game of tug. Stay in the smaller area until your dog is pretty convinced that your are the only thing that makes the toy fun. if you do this 2-3 times a day for no more than 5 minutes, you will progress very quickly. Now move to a slightly bigger area - still confined/safe- don't worry if your dog reverts back to keep away, don't chase or call your dog. Just stick to the routine of going still and boring but big party if he comes back. try this in different locations, and build up distractions, maybe ask a friend with a well behaved dog to just come over and stand in your back yard with her dog on leash while you play. While you are working on this, don't let your dog get rewarded for keep away by being chased by you or another dog. you'll get there!
That is very good advise and actually I have tried something similar with a puppy that played keep away with squeaky toys...and it worked for they puppy!